Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2011, 08:44   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: What was it called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh just reminded me when i was apprentice butcher the aprons were called brats by everyone.
The last time I heard that was at Shopfitters in the early 70s, one old joiner used to say on a friday I'm off to't stores ta change mi brat
Old 26-05-2011, 22:13   #137

What was "Coldfortrock" sure that's not how you spell it, funny shapped stick of dark yellow stuff you sucked on. Can you still get it?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 22:14   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
What was "Coldfortrock" sure that's not how you spell it, funny shapped stick of dark yellow stuff you sucked on. Can you still get it?
Coltsfoot rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltsfoot_Rock

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 22:42   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
yep got some last year from sweetstall that was in accy market, before they improved it.
Old 26-05-2011, 22:43   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I never knew it was so localised.

Never a first choice sweet from the penny tray. As it did taste like a cough sweet...even if it was good value, in that it was long-lasting.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 22:46   #141
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I never knew it was so localised.

Never a first choice sweet from the penny tray. As it did taste like a cough sweet...even if it was good value, in that it was long-lasting.
seem to recall jen got some fer spugs, could be wrong? also seem to recall, she give me a piece n then told spugs i nicked it. pmsl
Old 27-05-2011, 08:01   #142

Quote:
Another great link, thanks again Margaret. The things you find out about the area eh!
Old 27-05-2011, 08:10   #143
Beacon of light

Does anyone remember Worm Cakes?

They looked a bit like Razzles, those chocolate drops with hundreds and thousands on them......Worm Cakes were slightly bigger........and you were dosed with one of those if you complained of an itchy bottom(threadworms).......the chocolate bit of the wormcake was laxative and the coloured hundreds and thousands were to kill the worms.

I can remember finding a small paper bag with a few of them in.......I ate them thinking they were chocolate sweets(we were never given chocolate).........I won't tell you what the effects were like
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:26   #144
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Does anyone remember Worm Cakes?

They looked a bit like Razzles, those chocolate drops with hundreds and thousands on them......Worm Cakes were slightly bigger........and you were dosed with one of those if you complained of an itchy bottom(threadworms).......the chocolate bit of the wormcake was laxative and the coloured hundreds and thousands were to kill the worms.

I can remember finding a small paper bag with a few of them in.......I ate them thinking they were chocolate sweets(we were never given chocolate).........I won't tell you what the effects were like
Mi Mum telling me ghost story's while I was sat on the toilet had the same effect Margaret
Old 27-05-2011, 09:11   #145
JCB

Quote:
Thanks Margaret for link . As a kid I used to love the sweet Coltsfoot rock . I never knew until now that it was a Stockleys product .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:21   #146
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Thanks Margaret for link . As a kid I used to love the sweet Coltsfoot rock . I never knew until now that it was a Stockleys product .
Had some only the other week from stockleys JCB, they have a great web site if you can't get to their shop in Ossy Mills
Old 27-05-2011, 10:03   #147
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye bought a big bag of it last year from Stockleys in the Ossy Mills place & when I brought it back here & gave it to some folk, well the reaction was like the Marmite one, some loved it others couldn't get shut of the taste fast enough. There's also a little sweet shop in Southport (Coronation Walk) that has it in those big jars on display in the window.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 18:27   #148
Senior Member+

Does anyone remember Spanish Gold strips of coconut coated in coca powder in like and old tobacco pouch and you can get old style sweets at the happy sweet shop .co.uk i think it is.
Old 27-05-2011, 18:34   #149
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Does anyone remember Spanish Gold
Most certainly do & I really liked it, how about "Space dust" ?? Could have hours of fun giving it to the Dog, even more fun giving it to next doors Cat !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 22:22   #150

What was that stuff called which came in a small hard block that you could suck or mix with water. Think they came in orange flavour, no it wasn't for cleaning your dentures!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..