Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2011, 21:06   #121

Re: What was it called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
An interesting site about the manufacture of donkey stones and why they are so called
Eli Whalley & Company, Manufacturers of Donkey Stones
Thanks Margaret, great site.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2011, 22:31   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
a pummy stone me nan called it, used to get em off the Rag Tatters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A pummy (pumice)stone is not the same - pummy stones rubbed the hard skin off your feet.

I recall it as a dobby stone but an internet search decribes a dobby stone as having a hole - which it didn't
we were both wrong donkey stone is correct, memory aint as good as i thought.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:54   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Can't help you there........I can't remember seeing anything like that...or if I did it didn't register.
I will be interested to see the replies........and a picture if anyone has one.
Same here Margaret, never seen out like that misen
Old 21-05-2011, 10:52   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was a Donkey stone.........and they came in different colours......cream, sand and a sort of donkey grey....which might be why they are called donkey stones.
You could buy them from hardware stores, or the rag man would give them to you if you gave him jam-jars, bottles or rags(yes we were re-cycling way back then).
I am sure the Stall that was in Accrington Market hall(Matthews) had them for sale right up until they refurbished the market hall........I can't say I have seen any recently though...they seem to have gone upmarket.
Talking about rag and Bone carts, are there any still around Accy? when was the last time there was one around. Where was the yard they sold all this stuff too?
Old 21-05-2011, 13:13   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Talking about rag and Bone carts, are there any still around Accy? when was the last time there was one around. Where was the yard they sold all this stuff too?
I ain't seen a rag and bone cart for years, must be 30 years or more, think they'd have a Transit now anyway
Old 21-05-2011, 13:48   #126
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
The yard was part way up Back Water St, accessable from Melbourne St, like Jaysay says must be well over 30 years.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 15:12   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The yard was part way up Back Water St, accessable from Melbourne St, like Jaysay says must be well over 30 years.
Retlaw
That was "Readers" Rag Shop, owd henry who used to sit on front row in the Kings Hall (Bug Hut) used to kip there on a pile of rags.
Old 21-05-2011, 16:50   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw
Thats the one I remember now thanks. One Summer holiday me and a mate went up the old rifle range that side of the Coppice collecting old lead bullets and we melted them down in a great metal skillet to get rid of all the crap with them. Took them to his place to sell.
Old 21-05-2011, 17:08   #129
God Member

I recall my gran (born 1880s) called her pinafore overall a 'brat'.
I have never heard it called that since she did, but it was a use of that word.

Brat Brat (brăt) noun [ Middle English bratt coarse garnment, Anglo-Saxon bratt cloak, from the Celtic; confer W. brat clout, rag, Gael. brat cloak, apron, rag, Ir. brat cloak; properly then, a child's bib or clout; hence, a child.] 1. A coarse garment or cloak; also, coarse clothing, in general

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 18:41   #130
Beacon of light

Yes, my Auntie used to call her pinny a 'brat'.......it was made of very dark drill material, and had one large front pocket that was divided into two by a line of stitching.......she wore this during the chores of the morning.
All her chores had to be completed before she would sit down to lunch.......before sitting down to lunch she would take off her brat, wash her face and hands, take her curlers out(these were flat metal curlers not rollers)....fluff up her hair and put on a printed cotton apron with a frill round it......then she would sit down to lunch.
The only day she didn't follow this routine was on a Sunday......no chores were done on a Sunday, and only essential cooking.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 20:39   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Me nan who i was brought up wi always called it a "Brat"called me one as well sometimes.
Old 21-05-2011, 21:57   #132
Senior Member+

When i was serving my time my nail pouch and hammer holder was always called a brat by the old skin a was learning from.
Old 21-05-2011, 22:09   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
When i was serving my time my nail pouch and hammer holder was always called a brat by the old skin a was learning from.
yeh just reminded me when i was apprentice butcher the aprons were called brats by everyone.
Old 22-05-2011, 07:56   #134
Junior Member+

were they little pink ones?
Do you remember the cooling powder in folded paper, mixed on a teaspoon with a drop of water, and it tasted good.
manantat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:33   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by manantat View Post
were they little pink ones?
Do you remember the cooling powder in folded paper, mixed on a teaspoon with a drop of water, and it tasted good.
Do you mean Fennings Cooling Powder?

No I don't remember them at all.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..