Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2013, 11:44   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Another head scratcher

Updates for xp are essential. Totally nuts to me that you don't install them

Learn to stop using system restore as a solution. Not so good for your computer as most think
Old 20-06-2013, 12:08   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I don't allow updates, they never really tell you what they are for, I use malwarebytes to protect the computer
Do you only use Malwarebytes, not good protection for most viruses.
Restless likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:19   #18
Senior Member+

Never had a problem with system restore, so long as you don`t go too far back. A month or two should be fine to check if it did it back then. Can undo it afterwards if it`s uninstalled a lot of programs. ( put any files you don`t want touching into My Documents ).

But probably best solution has already been suggested, ditch IE and get something else. I`ve never used Chrome, there was a thread on here not long ago where someone was having problems with it. There`s also Safari, Firefox etc.

Last edited by gpick24; 20-06-2013 at 12:27.
Old 20-06-2013, 12:28   #19
Senior Member+

It was Restless who had a problem with Chrome.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ead-64387.html
Old 20-06-2013, 12:32   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I only use Chrome and don't have any problems with it
Restless likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 12:35   #21
Senior Member+

Wasn't much of a problem. Just a lot of cache.....pity it wasn't s lot of cash
Old 20-06-2013, 12:57   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Never had a problem with system restore, so long as you don`t go too far back. A month or two should be fine to check if it did it back then. Can undo it afterwards if it`s uninstalled a lot of programs. ( put any files you don`t want touching into My Documents ).

But probably best solution has already been suggested, ditch IE and get something else. I`ve never used Chrome, there was a thread on here not long ago where someone was having problems with it. There`s also Safari, Firefox etc.
I've tried those programs & ditched them, they would not transfer my favourites had to manually write a new favourites list, Firefox was the worst for that tried it twice and got fed up with it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:04   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Updates for xp are essential. Totally nuts to me that you don't install them

Learn to stop using system restore as a solution. Not so good for your computer as most think
I very seldom have to use system restore, what exactly are those windows updates, a load of numbers means nothing to me, and several people on this site have had problems after windows updates.
Old 20-06-2013, 13:07   #24
Senior Member+

Firefox should import all your favourites. What version of Internet Explorer do you use?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ernet-explorer
Old 20-06-2013, 13:09   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
I very seldom have to use system restore, what exactly are those windows updates, a load of numbers means nothing to me, and several people on this site have had problems after windows updates.
They are usually security updates, with a hidden check to make sure you aren`t using a dodgy copy.
Old 20-06-2013, 13:29   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Another head scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I only use Chrome and don't have any problems with it
Nor do I,
Do think it difficult to help a person that won't be helped by basic recommendations, if he really, really, wanted advice, he would take it, (long ago, in the years gone by he could have had help putting everything on one P.C. (Not me)), but carries on with a system that he admits isn't easy to use or easily transferred to the useful.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 15:18   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nor do I,
Do think it difficult to help a person that won't be helped by basic recommendations, if he really, really, wanted advice, he would take it, (long ago, in the years gone by he could have had help putting everything on one P.C. (Not me)), but carries on with a system that he admits isn't easy to use or easily transferred to the useful.
Sorry Less but I had been using WordStar 5 - 6 since they first came out and, WS6 does everything I need you can see what font you are using in a blue box on screen, not in a tiny little slot at the top of the screen, which you hope to christ hasn't changed when you don't want it too, by the time all these fancy wordprocessors came along I already had 1000's of hours work in WS6. Serveral members of the WordStar users group have made suggestions of programs that are compatable with my work, I've tried them, the last one was Open Office, one file of 65 pages was changed to 137 pages of mostly jumble.
But that computer with all my Pals files & Accrington's Heroes on has never been connected to the internet, so it can't be infected, or affected by hackers or giil bates's mob.
Restless likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 15:54   #28

Quote:
Sorry Less but I had been using WordStar 5 - 6 since they first came out and, WS6 does everything I need you can see what font you are using in a blue box on screen, not in a tiny little slot at the top of the screen, which you hope to christ hasn't changed when you don't want it too, by the time all these fancy wordprocessors came along I already had 1000's of hours work in WS6. Serveral members of the WordStar users group have made suggestions of programs that are compatable with my work, I've tried them, the last one was Open Office, one file of 65 pages was changed to 137 pages of mostly jumble.
But that computer with all my Pals files & Accrington's Heroes on has never been connected to the internet, so it can't be infected, or affected by hackers or giil bates's mob.
No need to apologise, carry on as you are, but if you will insist on doing it your way, why ask for help you will ignore?

Old 20-06-2013, 16:44   #29

Quote:
[B][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=black]
That, is possibly the saddest thing to do with any of this, all those years of work you've put in and not sharing it.
I know from the past you don't want people stealing your work, but just think how much of an asset it could be if you did allow other's to see it?
What's going to happen when you pop your clogs?
All that research wasted?
Old 20-06-2013, 16:45   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No need to apologise, carry on as you are, but if you will insist on doing it your way, why ask for help you will ignore?

I wasn't really apologising, and the original question had nowt to do with my work on the Pals or Accringtons Heroes, can't understand why you brought up that bit, the query was regarding an anomaly on WIN XP and the internet.
I'm not averse to change, but I don't have enough time left on this earth to try and change millions of bytes of info to a new system, I've been dodgng coffins a lot longer than Cashy.

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-06-2013 at 16:49.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..