Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2003, 16:57   #31
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Broadband & networking

What's their support like Tracey? Do they have a free help line?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2003, 17:16   #32
traceyb33

helpline number is charged at local rates i have never had to phone them you can email them and they also have a forum for help and advice check out the web page  8)
Old 07-09-2003, 14:06   #33
Resting in Peace

A new scheme to deliver BROADBAND using electricity lines is now being tested in Winchester.
Following successful Scottish trials, Scottish and Southern Energy is testing its Powerline Communications BROADBAND service in England.
The technology uses the wires in the electricity network in much the same way as ADSL uses the telephone network.
Powerline, however offers the same speed when uploading as downloading from the internet.
ADSLs upload speed is typically restricted to half its download rate.
Similar trials in 2001 had to be stopped due to technical difficulties.
SSE said it has worked with Oftel to overcome interference with radio frequencies and radar and that there had been no reports of problems with voltage.
SEE plans to charge £30 per month for the service.
All users will need to do is plug into a fitted black box.
so it could meen everyone can have BROADBAND .
www.scottish-southern.co.uk
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:09   #34
Senior Member+

Been on Broadband with AOL for a year now and must say i have had no problems at all with them ?????
Old 08-09-2003, 11:35   #35
Resting in Peace

[quote author=Mik_Dickinson link=board=cchl;num=1059425595;start=0#33 date=09/08/03 at 08:09:50]Been on Broadband with AOL for a year now and must say i have had no problems at all with them ?????[/quote]
There are a lot of people in Accrington that want Broadband but the cable people wont do anything about it unless 300 ask.
i was only pointing out there might be a new way to get broadband in the future.
not everyone is as lucky as you mik
i to have broadband and would not go back to dialup
but some areas have no cable or cant afford sky .
Old 08-09-2003, 12:19   #36
I am Banned

A little confused here. I am in Accy and have had boradband for over 3 years now..  Not cable or Sky though
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 13:40   #37
Resting in Peace

one side of our street has cable the other side hasent so they cant have cable broadband .
i know there are other types i was talking about cable and the new system that scottish tests
Old 08-09-2003, 17:22   #38
Roy
Administrator

Surprised no-one has done it yet in accy but - a popular way of getting cheap broadband to people is one company buys a fast connection in first house on block, cable is run to every house on block(through attic for instance) and they all share a broadband connection. Or - if the above isn;t possible and you have good relations with neighbours set up a wireless network and share the cost. This is how many people are getting cheaper broadband in places where it is far more expensive than uk. Think about it.... (no good for downloading full length videos but browsing the web its fine!)
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 18:45   #39
Resting in Peace

i dont think the people around here would go for it
good idea though
Old 17-12-2003, 19:56   #40
God Member

8 quid for card, extra monitor, extra KB and extra mouse ?  Rubbish

not a lot of use if you want three or more computers.

not a lot of use if you only want two but in different rooms.

no security

lots of sharing violations

cuts resources in half

etc etc
Old 18-12-2003, 07:10   #41

just signed up with bulldog £25pm for 1mb in the evenings and weekends and 512 during the day. I've also bought a belkin wireless modem so no nasty wires :-)
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2003, 13:24   #42
Junior Member+

I'm on t' BT Broadband and I don't have any problems. No restrictions on downloads either. So i'm milking music n stuff off Kazaa all night long. Tis a bit pricey at £29.99 but once you've tried broadband there's no going back.
MikeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 22:53   #43
I am Banned

we use Pipex extreme - we run 3 networked pc's and an xbox on xbox live (quite often at the same time) and no problems - weve been on ntl before we moved and find this a satisfactory alternative once we stopped crying over the loss of NTL cabling
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:04   #44

cazzer have a look at pipex. they have good reviews and they r cheap also have a look at freedom to surf also cheap for broadband!
hope this helps
david anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 23:03   #45

Haven't viewed other posts but i'm on Tiscali, around £10 per month phone line rental (BT) and £25.99 per month for 512kbs speed broadband with Tiscali. Easy to set up, network and it connects first time and never had any problems.

Like how you have to click connect too, so your computer is not always on. Once logged on, it never logs off until you make it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..