Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2008, 09:26   #16
God Member

Re: connections to internet

Yesterday Orange went down between 10am - 11am and didn't get restored till about 6.30pm

I was livid - just filled a basket at tesco and it went off before I could checkout.

Of course you dont think that it is your ISP at first do you? - so I tried allsorts first before phoning Orange for status info, including carrying my old pc set up back into the lounge and using a different ethernet cable.

I felt like I had lost a day.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2008, 12:20   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: connections to internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm with BT Broadband and I occasionally loose my conection, don't know why just happens out of the blue, usually when I'm just ready to submite a post on here
I’m with BT Broadband and I’ve never lost my connection.

Occasionally when I first connect I seem to get a very slow connection. When that happens I closed down my computer, wait a minute or two and then boot up again to get my usual fast connection. Currently at 5408 Kps Downstream and 448 Kps Upstream. I used to get close on 8 Mbs.
Old 22-05-2008, 12:23   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
When mine did that i got told it was a build up of static,and to pull the plugs out of the wall for half an hour ,,,and it worked,,,
That’s a load of bunkum.

The stories these ‘engineers’ tell to fob you off.
Old 22-05-2008, 12:26   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I did have a freephone number for getting in touch with bt announcements very handy if they are working in the area, I'll see if I can dig it out.
Try 0800 1114567 for BT’s technical staff or 0800 1698649.

You can also get to BT via 0800 800 150 and then select the appropriate option.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:08   #20
Loz

Always get problems with internet connections now and again, regardless of the ISP. AOL, BT and Bulldog were forever failing. With TalkTalk at the moment, considering it's "free", it's been the best of the bunch. AOL was the second best, Bulldog the worst. Their Technical support was bloody awful.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:45   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Of course you dont think that it is your ISP at first do you? - so I tried allsorts first before phoning Orange for status info, including carrying my old pc set up back into the lounge and using a different ethernet cable.
Do you connect using a router or a modem?

If it is a router you can access the routers status page sing your browser and see if it is connected to the internet or not.

If it is not then it is not a PC fault. It can only be the router or the connection as in cables in the house or an ISP fault.

If the router is connected to the internet then it could be your PC or could still be an ISP fault.
Old 23-05-2008, 11:16   #22
God Member

She has a Orange Live Box.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..