Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 11:43   #1

Exclamation desktop & laptop probs

Can anyone give me some help please. I have Windows xp on both desktop and laptop and my daughter and myself have our own names entered in both. When i am on the desktop my "background" will not work i.e. it is just blank. I can change the colour of the background but it will not allow me to use any of the set ones or to choose one of "my pictures". However when my daughter goes on her side of the computer it works. Now for the laptop:- On start up the laptop will freeze and not start up at all, but once again if i go on my side of the laptop and start up it is fine. Then my daughter will transfer to her side and carry on doing what she wants, but this doesn't erradicate the problem. Can n e 1 help please.
greenman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2007, 12:41   #2
God Member

Re: desktop & laptop probs

problem 1 - what actual error message do you get? Check whether you are setup as a restriced user or an Administrator.

problem 2 - can you clarify. when you start up, if your daughter goes on first it freezes but if you go on first then use switch user its fine for her as well?

please try not to use terms like 'my side' what you mean is "log on as"

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 15:02   #3

Hi, and thanks for your quick response. Sorry about my computer jargon i try my best. With prob no.1 there is no error message it just won't let me access any of the set backgrounds in the box, i can only change the background colour. There is no restrictions set up on my puter. With the laptop when she tries to log on it freezes, but then she has to turn it off and reboot logging on as someone else then logs off and logs on in her own name. Hope this clarifies my problem enough, thanks again, Pete
Old 12-02-2007, 18:55   #4
I am Banned

delete her user account and set it up a fesh but back up her pictures etc before doing this by using an account that works and finding her files from c:/documents and setings/ her account name folder

tahts what i would do anyway
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 20:29   #5
God Member

are teh backgrounds greyed out or is there something else that stops you selecting them. Also, try opening a picture in a web browser(Try IE) and right click it, try using teh set picture as background.

on teh other PC, do a 'failed logon, reboot, go on as you and then click Start-Run and type eventvwr in teh box, Click OK.

Click teh "system" link and work you way through the messages, you should find something that erroirs giving you details of what it was doing when it failed.

Old 12-02-2007, 20:53   #6

The word background is greyed out along with the browse and position features. The backgrounds themselves are still bold but when browsing over them they do not highlight nor can i scroll to access more backgrounds.
Old 12-02-2007, 20:55   #7
God Member

definately looks like something has set teh permissions on your account to stop it happening. you sure its not a restricted account?

Old 12-02-2007, 21:44   #8

I am the administrator and it's definately not restricted. Do you think it could be solved through remote assistant?
Old 13-02-2007, 07:21   #9
God Member

possibly. I'm not about tonight as its pool team knockout. I should be around tomorrow night though.

Old 13-02-2007, 12:28   #10

Thanks for the offer to help through remote assist but i work nights and start at 6pm so i won't be around at night until after the weekend as i work 4on and 4off. Catch you in the near future, cheers Ian.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..