Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2007, 08:57   #1
Senior Member+

XP Install HELP

HELP NEEDED

What Happend Was.

I built the machine (as per previous Thred), Powered On and all seemed Fine, Come up with some message about installing (same probably for most new PC's)

So I went to Install Windows XP, Loaded Disc all seemed Fine, started installing, Blue Screen, messages flashing at the bottom, I did see something about press F6 or F3 for something but it went to quick.

After this It can to a screen saying Push F3 to Quit, R to Repair, Enter to Continue, So I pressed Enter, NOTING HAPPENED, II left it for a while and noticed that the new Ram I got (Has Fancy Lights on it) was lit up half way throug and not moving so waited another 5 Mins and decided to reboot.

Now on reboot I get A Quick flash of Bios screen Thing, Can Push DEL to enter BIOS with loads of settings (I have not touched these) then it just goes to a Black Screen with a Curser at the top, this may drop down a line.

I have tried to load the disc again No joy, cannot type anything. Im confused. LOL

I have not entered / Installed any other discs, I went to instrall XP first.

Any Idea's
Old 13-02-2007, 09:47   #2
I am Banned

Re: XP Install HELP

Did u format the hard disk before installing XP??
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 09:51   #3
Senior Member+

Totally New Machine.

All I did was Put Xp Install Disk In, First Disc put on System it started to load, then crashed, Now All I get is Black Screen.

I presumed Formating the drive is part of the XP process????
Old 13-02-2007, 09:59   #4
I am Banned

I had problems with installing xp on a new HD on an old pc i was upgrading, it was a HD my dad had real problems installing XP, i just formatted the disk & it installed

It could be something on your HD drive that maybe is conflicting the install
Old 13-02-2007, 10:05   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You say it is a new machine. Did you use a SATA hard drive? If so do you need a driver disk to install XP on it. Thats the press F6 to install 3rd party drivers bit it shows early in the install
Old 13-02-2007, 10:07   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

You could try going into BIOS and resetting to defaults. You may need to change some settings so the motherboard recognises your drives. Is the BIOS still set to boot from CD?
Old 13-02-2007, 10:09   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You say it is a new machine. Did you use a SATA hard drive? If so do you need a driver disk to install XP on it. Thats the press F6 to install 3rd party drivers bit it shows early in the install
Im Sure its a Sata HDD, Sata2???

Didnt get any disks with it though?

I did also see the F6 thingy, but didnt do it then.

Thing is how do I get it to start again also all I get is Black Screen or Bios Screen??

Thanks.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:10   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
You could try going into BIOS and resetting to defaults. You may need to change some settings so the motherboard recognises your drives. Is the BIOS still set to boot from CD?
LOL I wouldnt know, TBH, I presume BIOS should be new anyway as its a new board.

It has been mentioned to make sure the Boot is CD drive First. which I will try soon
Old 13-02-2007, 10:13   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

If your board needs a driver so XP can see your SATA drive it should come with the motherboard. Some boards don't, I have had to download them in the past. I am using a SATA drive in this but I can't remember if it needed a driver diak during install, I have not reinstalled for a long time.

I do think you have a BIOS setting issue. When it tries to boot it should be either booting from CD or complained that it can't find a boot device.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:21   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
If your board needs a driver so XP can see your SATA drive it should come with the motherboard. Some boards don't, I have had to download them in the past. I am using a SATA drive in this but I can't remember if it needed a driver diak during install, I have not reinstalled for a long time.

I do think you have a BIOS setting issue. When it tries to boot it should be either booting from CD or complained that it can't find a boot device.
There is a Disk with the M board. Although the book seems to go install this disc and play with settings, shouws it like a O/S is already installed.

I also think its down to BIOS setting.

Will keep trying.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:36   #11
God Member

<fx: Ian whistles quietly to himself about how someone was going on about how cheap and easy it was to build his own PC >

Now down to help.

In Bios, make sure you have set everything to defaults to start with. Then look for any settings about enabling SATA(Your M/board manual should tell you about this if it needs to be done or will explicitly say that it supports SATA out teh box.
Then, making sure that teh first boot device is set to CDROM boot the PC with the XP install disk in. It should start teh setup process(At this point it doesn't even know there is a HD present.) Again in your M/board manual look for any mention of a 3rd party driver disk that should be used to install an OS. If there is make sure you have it available and go through the process to install them during XPs setup.(sit and watch EVERY screen, don't try and watch TV at the same time, this needs 100% attention) It may prompt you to format the partitions that are already there. I would recommend doing this so you know that there is no 'hangover' from your previous attempt.

Let us know if you get any further

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 12:57   #12
Senior Member+

Well I went home at dinner (only get a hour) though I would try it see what it does for a more detailed explanation.

I changed the Boot to CD driver First, tried a re boot and it started to instal, same as before, now I got past the part where it froze before and created 1 partition, just left it to complete the instal, said 35 mins, (was already late back) so hopefully problem Sorted.
Old 13-02-2007, 18:46   #13
Senior Member+

Well All Go managed to sort the Install.

Any tips on thigs I should be doing now I have net access and windows installed.

I have installed all the Card, Mboards Drivers.

Got AVG Free and Using Window Fire wall for now but will upgrade to Zone Alarm. soon.

Just doing a Windows Update.

Anything I have missed or should do.

Whats the score with the HArd Drive put one partition in at install point and it only shows that, 50gb where the other 200gb. how do I creat more partitions.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 13-02-2007, 19:31   #14
I am Banned

hard drives never show the size they say they are in windows , long explination i cant remember

new partitions , look for a program called partition magic

i think windows has options regarding partitions in control pannel , administrative tools . then select disk management but to be honest i dont think it allows you to make new partitions but i may be wrong

partition magic will
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 19:44   #15
I am Banned

What size is your D drive????

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..