Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2007, 19:47   #16
I am Banned

Re: XP Install HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
What size is your D drive????
now thats personal

ps:

if yuor main dvd/cd rom isnt labled as d: i would goto administrative tools and select change drive path and make it d: because some applications dont like running from cd or dvd under any other drive letter

rare but it happens
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2007, 20:13   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
hard drives never show the size they say they are in windows , long explination i cant remember

new partitions , look for a program called partition magic

i think windows has options regarding partitions in control pannel , administrative tools . then select disk management but to be honest i dont think it allows you to make new partitions but i may be wrong

partition magic will
Cheers Chav Will have a look into that some time soon. Is it Free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
What size is your D drive????
250G

Quote:
now thats personal

ps:

if yuor main dvd/cd rom isnt labled as d: i would goto administrative tools and select change drive path and make it d: because some applications dont like running from cd or dvd under any other drive letter

rare but it happens
Cd/DVD is down as D: Drive
Old 13-02-2007, 20:17   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Cheers Chav Will have a look into that some time soon. Is it Free?

lol not meant to be but...
Old 13-02-2007, 20:22   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
lol not meant to be but...
So is it any good.

Will it find my missing 200gb.
Old 13-02-2007, 20:27   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
So is it any good.

lol you have 200gb missing

soz i missed that bit i thought you were talking mb or somthing
Old 13-02-2007, 20:45   #21
God Member

Quote:
So is it any good.

When you made a partition did you select to use all the space or just 50Gb?

In XP install you should have deleted any partitions then selected the remaining one something like 'free partition' as thats the only one in the list then it should have used 250GB
Old 13-02-2007, 20:50   #22
I am Banned

if you go into admin tools in control pannel then select disk management youe wull see a blue box and it will say c: healthy and its size 50gb

next to it will be a black box and it will say unpartoitioned space

click in there and select create partition
Old 13-02-2007, 20:57   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
lol you have 200gb missing

soz i missed that bit i thought you were talking mb or somthing
Yup Its Missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
When you made a partition did you select to use all the space or just 50Gb?

In XP install you should have deleted any partitions then selected the remaining one something like 'free partition' as thats the only one in the list then it should have used 250GB
Just did the one, though it would do the other one after.

Quote:
if you go into admin tools in control pannel then select disk management youe wull see a blue box and it will say c: healthy and its size 50gb

next to it will be a black box and it will say unpartoitioned space

click in there and select create partition
Found It, LOL there it is.

Thanks
Old 14-02-2007, 07:52   #24
God Member

I thought you said you knew about PCs??????

partitioning is one of the basics, what FS are you going to use, do you know the difference? what size partitions are you going to make, primary? extended? logical? how many do you/should you make?

Your initial thread was all about how much extra bang/buck you would get but without fine tuning the system you have no chance of it performing at its best. What about virtual memory? how big? what partition? fixed or variable?

These are just very basic Qs. without understanding what you are doing it would be like letting you tune a ferrari, yes it still beat a mini but by how much?

I'm genuinely not trying to be awkward here but it does sound like you haven't got the knowledge to make that kit sing as it should. THAT is the reason I suggested buying a properly built, preconfigured/installed system, someone who knows what they are doing will have done all this for you. THAT is also why sometimes they are a bit more than the cost of their parts. I've been messing with PCs etc for longer than I care to remember, I've invested time patience and effort in learning what I do(as have those who charge to build PCs). I'm all for you learning and there is no better way than doing something yourself but when you have a problem, instead of just coming on here and asking why not try and work it out for yourself. read round the subject, understand it then next time you will know what to do when faced with a slightly different set of circumstances.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 08:07   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'm genuinely not trying to be awkward here but it does sound like you haven't got the knowledge to make that kit sing as it should. THAT is the reason I suggested buying a properly built, preconfigured/installed system, someone who knows what they are doing will have done all this for you. THAT is also why sometimes they are a bit more than the cost of their parts. I've been messing with PCs etc for longer than I care to remember, I've invested time patience and effort in learning what I do(as have those who charge to build PCs). I'm all for you learning and there is no better way than doing something yourself but when you have a problem, instead of just coming on here and asking why not try and work it out for yourself. read round the subject, understand it then next time you will know what to do when faced with a slightly different set of circumstances.
That sounds like good advice, now I think I best tootle off and do some reading myself
Old 14-02-2007, 10:45   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I thought you said you knew about PCs??????

partitioning is one of the basics, what FS are you going to use, do you know the difference? what size partitions are you going to make, primary? extended? logical? how many do you/should you make?

Your initial thread was all about how much extra bang/buck you would get but without fine tuning the system you have no chance of it performing at its best. What about virtual memory? how big? what partition? fixed or variable?

These are just very basic Qs. without understanding what you are doing it would be like letting you tune a ferrari, yes it still beat a mini but by how much?

I have never said I am A Guru With PC's I know Basic stuff which is a lot more than some folk and am willing to give it a go.

LIke you say how do you learn, by doing things. This is a Learning process for me and I know more today than I did yesterday so its all good.

As for partitioning, Yes I agree I have never installed a O/S before or built a PC from scratch with a new HD, infact this is only my second PC.

As for the fine tuning as I said its all a learning process but I do know people who are mad for there gaming and go to great depth to obtain a high running PC so im sure they will help me on that side. (if I need to O/C that is)

IMHO buying froma shop is no better, my mate once bough a PC from a local computer shop (no names) and he had nothing but problems, in fact he ever recond that they didnt fit all the parts they charged him far.

Why should I not post on here, This isnt the only Forum I use and its good to Cross reference the advise I have been given, and hopefully it will be genuine advise, as you probably know searching for a problem fix lets say via google can be a mine field. I do read up on a subject, but if I dont understand what im reading fully I find it easier to ask.

Soon I will run 3dMark06, this should see how much Bang my system has got.
Old 14-02-2007, 13:50   #27
I am Banned

dont wory mrD even if you didnt install te motherboatd drivers it would run better than a pc world system

tweakxp.com will help you a lot

http://tweakxp.com/

dont install any tweaking software , look for teh tips and do it manualy

heres a link to take you to what you want

http://tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx
Old 14-02-2007, 13:58   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
dont wory mrD even if you didnt install te motherboatd drivers it would run better than a pc world system

tweakxp.com will help you a lot

http://tweakxp.com/

dont install any tweaking software , look for teh tips and do it manualy

heres a link to take you to what you want

http://tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx
Well Probably.

Nice Link, some reading to do there, will wait until back at work so I can print the bits I need.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..