Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 18:47   #1

ISP's

We are with AOL. Lots of people hate it, but we love it. We have been useing AOL now for about 9 years, so we are not new to it. What is the best ISP in your opinion and why, and why do people hate AOL?
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2006, 19:00   #2
Roy
Administrator

Re: ISP's

AOL cause many problems in the internet world, your lucky you can access this site as at one point I was close to banning all AOL ip's. They use a caching and proxy system that doesn't agree with web standards, they have over enthusiastic spam filters, they bounce many many messages back to my servers for various trivial reasons, they think they own the internet, they try to censor the internet, they lull newcomers into a false sense of security by masking half of the internet and pretending their own intranet is actually the internet.... and probably a lot more that we don't even know about.. hehe.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 19:06   #3

My husband belong's to aircraft websites and yes, their emails get bounced back on mass, but he just uses MSN instead.
Old 08-02-2006, 20:31   #4
God Member

Originally(not too sure what they do at the mo) they didn't 'connect you to the internet' they connected you to their own private network which had a gateway to teh Internet. However to do this they use a totally different protocol (netbui instead of TCP/IP) however in their 'wisdom' their install disc uninstalled TCP/IP from peoples computers. So if you tried for a month then tried to use anyone elses, your PC quite simply would not connect no matter who else you tried.

Teh other side is that as Roy has mentioned they have their own spin on censorship. They often hide perfectly usable parts of the Internet(Usenet for example was not available for YEARS and I believe has been withdrawn again!)

One other aspect that I find annoying(Although its not AOLs fault directly) is that a lot of their users tend to break lots of etiquette and AOL will do nothing about it where all other ISPs will warn and then boot troublesome users.

As for good guys, Pipex, Zen, Eclipse, Demon, plusnet all get good reports amongst people I know. It is as with mopst things in life, you get what you pay for. If you are constantly chasing the cheapest deal you will find they have to cut corners somewhere.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 20:55   #5
God Member

We use Pipex but I have absolutely no idea why. I wasn't involved in the selection process but apparently, Pipex is one to recommend.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 20:56   #6

I have used it in the past and yes, it was fine. One to think about maybe.
Old 08-02-2006, 20:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Originally(not too sure what they do at the mo) they didn't 'connect you to the internet' they connected you to their own private network which had a gateway to teh Internet. However to do this they use a totally different protocol (netbui instead of TCP/IP) however in their 'wisdom' their install disc uninstalled TCP/IP from peoples computers. So if you tried for a month then tried to use anyone elses, your PC quite simply would not connect no matter who else you tried.

Teh other side is that as Roy has mentioned they have their own spin on censorship. They often hide perfectly usable parts of the Internet(Usenet for example was not available for YEARS and I believe has been withdrawn again!)

One other aspect that I find annoying(Although its not AOLs fault directly) is that a lot of their users tend to break lots of etiquette and AOL will do nothing about it where all other ISPs will warn and then boot troublesome users.

As for good guys, Pipex, Zen, Eclipse, Demon, plusnet all get good reports amongst people I know. It is as with mopst things in life, you get what you pay for. If you are constantly chasing the cheapest deal you will find they have to cut corners somewhere.
AOL is not the cheapest but seems to offer the most variety. We have Platinum family package with AOL Talk. With this we have a dial-up remote option. Do others offer this kind of set-up?
Old 08-02-2006, 21:07   #8
God Member

There are lots of difefrent 'options'. I'm with Pipex and have been for 4 years now! (EEEK!)I use a different ISP for dial up as it provides 'points' which I get prizes for. I got a 20 gig iPod last year.

The trick if you are thinking of moving is to go round the usual suspects and see who offers what you want, then check up on adslguide to see what people think of them.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 21:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
There are lots of difefrent 'options'. I'm with Pipex and have been for 4 years now! :eek

I use a different ISP for dial up as it provides 'points' which I get prizes for. I got a 20 gig iPod last year.
That dial up ISP is?
Old 08-02-2006, 21:27   #10
Senior Member+

Ian says yes

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:28   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am currently using Pipex and only had one little problem when they disconnected my account for a couple of days because I was being a naughty boy . I am about o change to the dreaded NTL. A good friend of mine has been with them for years with no problems. He is miffed that when he moves house he wont be able to use them still.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:30   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
. I am about o change to the dreaded NTL. A good friend of mine has been with them for years with no problems. He is miffed that when he moves house he wont be able to use them still.
dreaded ntl ????

been with them for about 3 yrs and had only 2-3 minor problems (early on) now all is fine and they provide an excellent service imho.....

now watch il be offline for weeks .........wheres that wood

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:46   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Nice to here someone saying something good about NTL. I am interested to hear peoples problems with NTL and other ISP's.
I dislike AOL also. You can't use a router with some of their packages. People join AOL, buy a router to share the internet with a couple of PC's in the house only too find you can't on the standard package. I have no idea how the pricing structure works.

Why do you use the Platinum family package? What does it give you that other packages don't?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:02   #14

I'm with Pipex, have been for 4 or 5 years and their service is excellent I have one issue though (a BT issue rather than an ISP issue) we are right on the boundary for the length of line from the exchange and as such I've had to have my connection throttled back from 2 meg to 1 meg due to frequent disconnects at 2 meg.

I still pay £23 odd for the uncapped Pipex service however I know I can get a 1 meg service for considerably less, but with cheaper services they're all capped - I'm going to run some software to see how much I D/L and then I'll have a good idea what capped service I can go for. I was going to go with Tiscali but having read some of the posts on ADSL guide forums I've changed my mind about them.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:51   #15
God Member

I use bulldog broadband, its UPTO 8M down and 512k up..
I live on lower manchester road and the exchange is just next to the bus station in accrington so live fairly close and get the full download and upload speeds which are around 830kb/s down and 60kb/s up

However, they have a bad reputation for customer service (I knew this before I joined them so ensured I phoned them practicly every day to ensure everything was fine). Their future is also unknown as last weeks Sunday papers were reporting that they might pull out of the retail broadband business, although I don't see that happening. (or if it does, they'll just transfer us to another provider)

I don't think their customer service is any worse than major ISP's such as BT and Wanadoo, i've had MANY more problems with them, and never with Bulldog. I think the majority is down to BT being crap, and since bulldog install their own equipment in the exchange, it cuts BT out somewhat, but not all together.

Few details:
I'm on the 'inter@ctive' package which is £19.50 a month
No download caps
Free modem (and I think at one point they were doing a router for £1 which retails at £50)
You have to transfer your phone line to them, its £10.50 which I think is the same as BT.
Oh and £1 connection or £1 to get a new line (needed if you're NTL customer)
However you can check the phone call prices etc along with what you get at http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/resi...ive/index.asp#

Last edited by andrewb; 09-02-2006 at 10:55.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..