Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 15:00   #1

Virus - PLEASE help

When we get a virus on our computer, we can usually get rid of it with the amount of anti-virus programmes we have. But this one just won't go.

Every time I open IE, it re-directs my homepage to http://netsearchsoft.com/passthrough...katietrust.com and a toolbar pops up at the bottom of the page.

I have run AGV 6.0, Ad-Aware 6, Spybot, CWShredder, Hijack This (Which works for a while but when I restart the computer or turn it on the next day, its back again) but it keeps on coming back.

Please help me.
Old 06-05-2004, 15:31   #2
God Member

Re: Virus - PLEASE help

Are you sure its a virus and it hasn't just set your homepage to that address?
go to Tools, internet options and check youe homepage address

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 15:43   #3

I did that and it just changes straight back again.

I don't know if its a virus or a parasite or what.
Old 06-05-2004, 16:34   #4
God Member

try here http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...TYMWPAZTJWUFJJ

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 17:23   #5
Senior Member+

I got hit by one and I went in to search files, put in bho and came up with a list. BHO demon have a list on their website for you to copy and get rid of the bad ones. After you have done that install http://www.winpatrol.com/ its free dont bother upgrading and it will let you know every time something is trying to download to your computor.

FROM THE BHO DEMON WEBSITE.

Sounds like you got hit by A Browser Helper Object, or BHO, is just a small program that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser. Usually, BHO is installed on your system by another software program. For example, Go!Zilla, the downloading utility, installs a BHO created by Radiate (formerly Aureate Media); this BHO tracks which advertisements you see as you surf the Web.
The natural question is, what do BHOs do? The technical answer is "anything", but generally, it will have something to do with "helping" you browse the Internet.
Of course, many BHOs are what is called "ad-ware" or "spyware": they do things like monitor the websites you visit and report this data back to their creators."

They can also routinely conflict with other running programs, cause a variety of page faults, run time errors, and the like, and generally impede browsing performance.

A great little tool for viewing and, if required, disabling, the BHOs that may be installed on your machine is BHODemon, which can be downloaded here

Listed BHO's are tagged X for certified spyware/foistware, or other malware, L for legitimate items, O for 'open to debate' and ? for BHOs of unknown status.

Hope this helps Bazf

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 18:33   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Excellent reply Bazf, I was going to recommend WinPatrol too.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 16:02   #7

Cheers, people. WinPatrol seems to have done the trick

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..