Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2008, 08:04   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: I hate Vista!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sounds like you've picked up a virus

My computer crashed at new year, my firewall went down.
My anti virus program found a worm, the little sod had replicated itself 127
times and had even crossed a partition, the antivirus prog kept telling me it they been deleted, but found them again on the next scan, finally found
the little buggers doing a manual search of all the files, and deleted them one by one, then emptied the dustbin.

When you solve your problem make a restore point.
Retlaw

Cheers Retlaw, but I have now done 2 virus scans, both of which came up clean. I'm sure that it is something to do with my settings as when Sparks logs on, he doesn't have any of these problems. I can even access my e mail when logged on as Sparks?????

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2008, 08:59   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I'm sure that it is something to do with my settings as when Sparks logs on, he doesn't have any of these problems.
How about saving your stuff and deleting your user. Then add yourself a new user. That way you will get default settings again. It might be worth a try.
Old 12-02-2008, 13:22   #18
God Member

Well I hate Vista too!

New laptop a couple of weeks ago and no end of problems with programmes crashing!
My mum and dad have a similar problem, they got a new computer just after Christmas and it's pants!!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 13:31   #19
Resting in Peace

Its funny i have a new laptop with vista and not had a problem.
it also came with all backup discs and recovery discs
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 16:01   #20
I am Banned

i have Vista and i must say i havent had a problem at all with it - maybe the problem is a virus or perhaps you have some incompatable hardware in your machine (companies dont actually always care about putting hardware in with the best compatabilty - their principle is usually -cheapest parts possible equalled with highest price they can charge )

i know somebody that used to work at pc world - they used to look at machines that just needed a new battery on the motherboard - (battery retailed at £1-£2 at most shops) they used to charge £30 plus for the privelidge - so dont be fooled by the smiling faces -and they really have no idea
i asked if they had any crystalbrite screens and he thought i was asking for directions to somewhere (no really i am not joking) they are the people on the frontline of the buisnes that we actually see so i do tend to wonder who is building machines behind the scenes
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 17:30   #21
Resting in Peace

I've had a Dell Laptop with vista on for twelve months and had no probs, The only problem I did have was when I wanted to get rid of AOL and go on BT Broadband, AOL kept sending nasty letters, threatening court action even though I'd given them notice, in the end I threatened them with my solicitor and I haven't heard from them since. Vista though is fine for me, must be lucky reading all these post about people have trouble So this definitely ain't me
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 17:04   #22
God Member

I too have had no problems with Vista. The media centre part is miles better and much more reliable than the XP one (MCE 2005).
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 19:18   #23
Resident Waffler

It's growing on me - and I have made my own back-up discs but I think it's a bit cheap not providing them. As for PC World they never seem to know what you're talking about for examplke:

Me: (looking at a particular laptop) What about the graphics card?
PC World Assistant: (I use the term in its loosest form) Yes, I think it's got one. It has a sticker on saying NVidia

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 19:22   #24
God Member

I have a vista and an xp laptop, and a vista and an xp desktop, they are all ok but vista has more issues, I have to use the xp to do certain things, like checking my instant messages, have another desktop which as I write is having UBUNTU put on it, could be fun, as I am a complete novice with Ubuntu.
Old 21-03-2008, 11:48   #25

Vista is shocking, full of spyware, its slow, and if anyoneknows about online gaming vista doesnt half make you lagg!
SamE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 18:53   #26
God Member

sorry but even as an avid microsoft antifan I can't agree with you. Vista out teh box has no Spyware, what you installed might have but the OS doesn't.

Its low on lower spec stuff, I believe if you throw over 2 gig of RAM at it it becomes 'useable'. That is not a good thing and TBH makes me wonder how I ever did any work on my Pentium 166 with 64Meg of RAM that I used to write huge swathes of Barclays ATM software.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 19:09   #27

I HAVE VISTA!!!!!!!! ITS GREAT!!!!! my lappy runs great on it and i find it fun to use and i love all the little gadgets it has i would never go back to xp just thought i would let you know VISTA IS GREAT!!!!!!!!
whatsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 21:32   #28
God Member

Dell are offering XP Professional as an option for £50 extra

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:25   #29
God Member

Heh, that really takes teh biscuit, heres teh new shiny version or for an extra 50 quid we'll give you an OS that works ( for loose interpretation of works you understand )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 08:45   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Im happy with what iv got, windows media XP
it does it job!..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..