Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 08:14   #1
Resident Waffler

I hate Vista!!!!

OK, I just had to get that out of my system (if you'll pardon the pun).

It's driving me up the wall. Got this new laptop with Microsoft's latest all singing all dancing wonderful new OS.

It's also got stuff preloaded on it which I do NOT want. On the desktop I see the dreaded triangle - a shortcut to AOHell. I do not want AOL. I go to Control Panel in the vain hope of removing all program connections to AOL and IT IS NOT FLIPPIN WELL THERE!

So, I right click on the short cut and check location. It's in Program Files>Online Services. So how do I get rid of the blessed thing? And that's only the start!

OK, maybe I'll get used to it eventually but when I ever upgraded from Windows 95/98/2000/me I never seemed to find it as painful as this. I love XP - why did I end up with Vista on my laptop?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46   #2
Member.

Re: I hate Vista!!!!

With you there Willow, I have just bought a client management and call logging system which I’ve used in the past, unfortunately it is refusing to operate in a full screen window or print on the two main Vista OS machines I have in the office. I’ve a XP Laptop and an XP OS machine for the call logging that work perfectly, as the client management is 2500+ my only option is to retro fit XP to my main computers, clueless about how, so I’m off to pc world in an hour or so to find out. I thing it’s going to cost about 400 to do this, gutted about that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:05   #3
Senior Member+

I dont understand why people hate Aol :S Weve been with them three years now and no problem what so ever!! We changed to sky interent about 2 months ago and there was nothing but trouble Aol has been a great internet in my home and to be honest i wouldnt change it. The only problem i find is the price.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:24   #4
Resident Waffler

I don't want AOL on my laptop mainly because I don't need AOL on my laptop. I have an internet service provider and it isn't AOL. I want to use my laptop with the ISP I already have and just object to the fact that it is all clogged up with all this AOL gubbins. When we had AOL I liked it because I mainly liked the quiz rooms but they changed and our requirements changed and AOL was not capable of what we wanted so we changed ISP - that was when I became very anti-AOL when I had the hassle of removing the wretched thing and it just didn't want to go!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:40   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
With you there Willow, I have just bought a client management and call logging system which I’ve used in the past, unfortunately it is refusing to operate in a full screen window or print on the two main Vista OS machines I have in the office. I’ve a XP Laptop and an XP OS machine for the call logging that work perfectly, as the client management is 2500+ my only option is to retro fit XP to my main computers, clueless about how, so I’m off to pc world in an hour or so to find out. I thing it’s going to cost about 400 to do this, gutted about that.
doug, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that much for 2 copies of XP

give me a shout if they come back with a silly price

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 14:09   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I hate Vista too and am having lots of glitches at the moment. These are too numerous to list but here are just a couple.

Whenever I close down a web page or link eg, Accyweb Quiz, Internet Explorer closes down and re-starts (this has only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks for no apparrent reason)

Internet Explorer periodically closes down just for the hell of it, this has been happening for a few months.

I cannot access Windows Mail, it worked fine at first but now all I get is error messages and mates ringing me up asking why I have not replied to their e mail. I have taken my account off Windows Mail and put it back on again from scratch, it still doesn't work.

Whenever I go to Microsoft website to search for a solution to my problems, there is no solution available.

It will not let me do System restore although it goes through all of the motions then tells me that it was unsuccessful when it re-boots.

I am seriously considering a new operating system or smashing my computer to smithereens

I hate Vista, it's total and utter poo..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 19:51   #7
God Member

I did warn you all!!!

Lettie

Get Opera or Firefox installed. Thats one job done. Then install Thunderbird thast your mail sorted.

make some system restore discs now from the tool and save them somewhere safe.

If you need to go back to XP ring the support team of your laptop and ask them how you get to put XP on as Vista doesn't work with all your hardware.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:55   #8

I hate Vista..its slow, its microsoft and it doesnt do what you want it too when you want it too...................

If you spin the Windows Vista CD backwards you can hear satanic messages. Worse is if you spin it forward, it installs Vista on your computer.
No.9 Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:17   #9
I am Banned

PC World no longer sell WinXP. its been taken off the shelves.
They said its probably available on ebay, which will cost you
and then you may not be able to register it

If you dont register WinXP it will crash after 30 days.

Thats because gill bates mob have decided they rule the computer world,
and any body that crosses them beware. Quite a number of programs will
no longer work on vista.

You may be able to find a code cracker that will let you bypass the registration.
Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
doug, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that much for 2 copies of XP

give me a shout if they come back with a silly price
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:21   #10

Yes i must say that my self it runs slow and i wish i was back on window,s
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:26   #11
I am Banned

Sounds like you've picked up a virus

My computer crashed at new year, my firewall went down.
My anti virus program found a worm, the little sod had replicated itself 127
times and had even crossed a partition, the antivirus prog kept telling me it they been deleted, but found them again on the next scan, finally found
the little buggers doing a manual search of all the files, and deleted them one by one, then emptied the dustbin.

When you solve your problem make a restore point.
Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I hate Vista too and am having lots of glitches at the moment. These are too numerous to list but here are just a couple.

Whenever I close down a web page or link eg, Accyweb Quiz, Internet Explorer closes down and re-starts (this has only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks for no apparrent reason)

Internet Explorer periodically closes down just for the hell of it, this has been happening for a few months.

I cannot access Windows Mail, it worked fine at first but now all I get is error messages and mates ringing me up asking why I have not replied to their e mail. I have taken my account off Windows Mail and put it back on again from scratch, it still doesn't work.

Whenever I go to Microsoft website to search for a solution to my problems, there is no solution available.

It will not let me do System restore although it goes through all of the motions then tells me that it was unsuccessful when it re-boots.

I am seriously considering a new operating system or smashing my computer to smithereens

I hate Vista, it's total and utter poo..
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:34   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
PC World no longer sell WinXP. its been taken off the shelves.
They said its probably available on ebay, which will cost you
and then you may not be able to register it

If you dont register WinXP it will crash after 30 days.

Thats because gill bates mob have decided they rule the computer world,
and any body that crosses them beware. Quite a number of programs will
no longer work on vista.

You may be able to find a code cracker that will let you bypass the registration.
Retlaw.

Sorry Entwisi, I missed your reply, The above is true, but you can still buy it through PCWorld Business (in the same store no less). I bought a Acer Vertron? (sp) running XP Pro for £485. the best price I got for stripping Vista and reloading XP was £820.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:20   #13

This is why Dell are selling machines with XP as an upgrade instead of Vista.

You could all switch to Linux i suppose? thats free and isnt full of micro$ofts DRM crap slowing everything down
Old 18-01-2008, 23:14   #14
Resident Waffler

I'm beginning to get used to it. Managed to ditch AOL off it (with the help of a man who knows what he's doing - no, not Busman, lol) but it still seems awkward compared to xp. Things just aren't the way I expect them to be - even shutting down is different. I suppose I felt this way about xp once. It's weird though having everything else in the house on xp and the one laptop on vista.

Old 19-01-2008, 01:16   #15

To be honest by the end of this year Vista is going to be another 'Windows Millennium' because early 2009 a NEW version of windows will be out...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..