Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56   #1
Resting in Peace

transfering info

could any one on this site give me informtion on how to transfer info ie [files documents photos] from one p.c. to another
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2008, 14:03   #2
God Member

Re: transfering info

network is teh easiest, CD, DVD are others, big memory sticks are another, putting teh old PCs disk as a slave in teh new PC even temporarily is another

be careful for hidden files, e.g. email inbox etc

You didn't mention what OS /version

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 15:07   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
network is teh easiest, CD, DVD are others, big memory sticks are another, putting teh old PCs disk as a slave in teh new PC even temporarily is another

be careful for hidden files, e.g. email inbox etc

You didn't mention what OS /version

Ian
i dont know what you mean by os/version
Old 03-03-2008, 15:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwendosser View Post
i dont know what you mean by os/version
OS = operating system. Windows, Linux etc
Old 03-03-2008, 17:31   #5
Resting in Peace

all this high tech talk does my head in, all i need is for someone to explain to me in laymans terms how to get my files form one p.c. to another thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 21:15   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwendosser View Post
all this high tech talk does my head in, all i need is for someone to explain to me in laymans terms how to get my files form one p.c. to another thanks
yeh i'm as numb as you with computers,but what he wants to know is yer system Windows?
Old 03-03-2008, 21:20   #7
God Member

OK, I only had a minute to post teh last one,

What version of windows is teh old PC, what version teh new one.

How do you connect to teh Net, via a Router/wireless point or a modem (What ISP that will probably tell me)

Are you able to startup both PCs at the same time?

How much data are we talking about? 1 gig, 10 gig, 100 gig?

let me know and I'll see what options are teh best for you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 07:48   #8
Junior Member+

go and buy a usb memory stick, 2Gb - 4Gb. then copy everything onto that frrom the old computer and copy it onto the new computer. Depending on how much data you have depends on how many times you have to make the trip between the 2 computers.

Surely you don't need to know the os of both computers, if he isn't to techy then it's safe to assume he is running windows, at a guess XP, i can't see the old one running 98se so there would be no problem with usb driver issues.
dezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 09:32   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezt View Post

Surely you don't need to know the os of both computers, if he isn't to techy then it's safe to assume he is running windows, at a guess XP, i can't see the old one running 98se so there would be no problem with usb driver issues.
It helps to know the o.s. when sorting out problems.

Of course the old p.c. could be running on 98 or an even older o.s. that's why entwisi asked, guessing that it is xp is not a very good way of solving this or any other problem associated with P.C.'s.

Just as guessing that the P.C. now being used has xp on it, it may have but then again it may not. (the user may not be a techie, but the person that supplied it just might have been).

The larger and more accurate the amount of information someone supplies the more chance that person has of getting help.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 15:34   #10
Junior Member+

Ok then, if you need to know the os so be it. but it is most likely going to be windows and not linux or os X. best thing to without knowing anything is to open the pc up, unplug the cdromdrive and plug the old pc hard drive in and boot into windows. then you can access everything on the old pc hard drive.

Even if the old pc was as old as windows 95, 3.11, 3.1 or NT4, you can still access the old hard drive in the new pc if it is XP.
Old 18-03-2008, 16:15   #11
God Member

Quote:
Ok then, if you need to know the os so be it. but it is most likely going to be windows and not linux or os X. best thing to without knowing anything is to open the pc up, unplug the cdromdrive and plug the old pc hard drive in and boot into windows. then you can access everything on the old pc hard drive.

Even if the old pc was as old as windows 95, 3.11, 3.1 or NT4, you can still access the old hard drive in the new pc if it is XP.

If somebody doesn't know which operating system they have on their PC it's hardly likley they are going to feel comfortable doing that.
Old 18-03-2008, 17:32   #12
God Member

He has told me that he managed to move the stuff he needed using CD writing facility.
He works long hours and doesn't get much chance or time to learn the technicalities.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 17:52   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Why unplug the cd rom that you assume it has?
Why not just assume that it has an extra bay and he can run one as master and the other as slave, assuming he can guess all the connections and which to make the master and which as slave?

No I assume you mean he can assume that he has done all the correct things just by throwing everything into the air and seeing where it lands.

Assumptions can be some of the most expensive things associated with a P.C.

I hope he ignores your advise and really does get in touch with entwisi, he will have a chance of a working computer if he follows his advice!

Can I assume you agree?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:53   #14
Junior Member+

if he got in touch with entwisi he will have told him what os is on the pc's. but seen as he has used a cd writter to transfer the data accross there's no point.

Why did I bother trying to help, all you (less) can do is hurl abuse at me questioning my knowledge. but it sounds like both computers had a cd drive, hence using the cd writter to transfer data. how much it practical experience do you have in the industry, not fixing minor problems that you have at home.
Old 18-03-2008, 19:01   #15
God Member

Quote:
Why not just assume that it has an extra bay and he can run one as master and the other as slave,
Extra bay ? My slave drive dangles on the end of the cable

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..