Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 20:05   #16
Junior Member+

Re: transfering info

Quote:
My slave drive dangles on the end of the cable
That's exactly how we used to transfer data between 2 drives at my last job, who needs to screw the drive in....
dezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2008, 08:49   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezt View Post
if he got in touch with entwisi he will have told him what os is on the pc's. but seen as he has used a cd writter to transfer the data accross there's no point.

Why did I bother trying to help, all you (less) can do is hurl abuse at me questioning my knowledge. but it sounds like both computers had a cd drive, hence using the cd writter to transfer data.
But you posted in post number 10 about the hard drives, Margaret didn't mention it having a c.d. rom until post 12, so you were working blind. Unless your clairvoyant you couldn't have even assumed that he had a rom drive.

Quote:
how much it practical experience do you have in the industry, not fixing minor problems that you have at home.
Not that it's any of your business, but I have had more years to do with not only using and repairing computers within the electronics industry than you have had on this earth, (some of us have been working on computers since the 60's).

If you are 'in' the computer business, then I would not go around bragging about:-
Quote:
Quote:
My slave drive dangles on the end of the cable
That's exactly how we used to transfer data between 2 drives at my last job, who needs to screw the drive in....
That is an absolute cowboy job and fits exactly with your standard of advice. It may be just about acceptable for lancsdave to do that at home, (Dave that can lead to many problems and death of the drive), but for someone getting paid, to produce such shoddy workmanship? that is a disgrace!

Perhaps that is why you described it as 'your last Job'?

Last edited by Less; 19-03-2008 at 08:53.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 15:47   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
Perhaps that is why you described it as 'your last Job'?
maybe if you actually thought about it, i left the company and moved on to better things. if you have been working with computers for more years than i've been alive then surely you will know that there is more than one way to fix a problem.

All I did was offer two solutions that I thought would have got the job done in the shortest time.

As for hard drives dangling off cables i've seen all the big companies engineers do the exact same thing.

Quote:
but for someone getting paid, to produce such shoddy workmanship? that is a disgrace!
Who said that was how the computers were produced? I merely said that was how we transfered data from on hdd to another quickly.
Old 21-03-2008, 22:21   #19

Quote:

I merely said that was how we transfered data from on hdd to another quickly.
You didn't merely state! you admitted that you (and other members of that work force?).

Are prepared to work with a job half done, it doesn't take long to slip the drive into a bay and and fasten a few screws, if you don't know the consequences that can and do happen by only being bothered to do half a job then you are in no fit state to advise anybody else.

Learn how things are done correctly, always attempt to do things correctly, double check what you last did and maybe then, but only then can you consider yourself competent to help others.

If all you can advise is, "Oh just do half the job, it doesn't matter how it looks or that it isn't good practice so long as it works", then please leave entwisi to advise, get on your horse and ride into the sunset like the good little cowboy you are.

Come back and show us all how it's done when you know the difference between good and bad engineering practice, there are plenty out there you can learn from, I know there are, I helped several of them get through college.

Old 22-03-2008, 11:36   #20
Junior Member+

Quote:
Learn how things are done correctly, always attempt to do things correctly, double check what you last did and maybe then, but only then can you consider yourself competent to help others.
Ok, fair enough, what may work for me might not be the best course of atcion for people who are not as confident as me, I suppose my advice could result in larger problems if the drive was to slip and short the motherboard.

Next time I give any advice i'll make sure that it is not going to cause any other problems if something slips.

@Entwisi - I am not saying anything bad about the way you went about offering your advise, it was very professional.
Old 22-03-2008, 19:48   #21

Quote:
Ok, fair enough, what may work for me might not be the best course of atcion for people who are not as confident as me, I suppose my advice could result in larger problems if the drive was to slip and short the motherboard.

Next time I give any advice i'll make sure that it is not going to cause any other problems if something slips.

@Entwisi - I am not saying anything bad about the way you went about offering your advise, it was very professional.
Thank You, now perhaps we can learn together?

Cos' nobody can do it on their own!
Old 22-03-2008, 21:30   #22

Tum ti tum, is it safe to come out yet?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..