Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 18:37   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Noel Gallagher Interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
...no one has said they were better than The Beatles.

None of this detracts from the fact that Noel Gallagher was correct when he said Oasis were the biggest band in the world at their peak - at that time.

Really is like banging one's head against a Nori brick on this thread.
I didn't hear him stress the word "Peak!" He said ""U2" "Kasabian" will never touch us!"
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2012, 18:47   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I didn't hear him stress the word "Peak!" He said ""U2" "Kasabian" will never touch us!"
To me its no contest between Oasis and U2, U2 are still a better band than Noel's mob could ever have become, Noel fancied himself as a modern day John Lennon, doubt if he ever been able to lace Lennon's shoes, but that's just my opinion
Old 02-04-2012, 20:10   #48
God Member

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

He said that Oasis were the last of the 'big British bands' to really enter society and take over a generation. Beatles, Stones, Who, Queen, Feelgood, Clash, Pistols, Jam, Bowie, Roses, Smiths etc... it all ended with Oasis.
This is mainly because the music industry is so different. Oasis were the last band for the analogue age of music fans who were into 'proper British bands with instruments' that bought albums and went to gigs. Everything is in a 99p iTunes single now.
This doesn't go to say that Oasis are/were better than any of the other great British bands (as that is all down to taste), it only says that they were the last to make such an effect.
This is exemplified in the bands he mentioned that are trying to make success in the new millennium, such as Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and U2, who, if you did your research, you'd see he has been very complimentary of.

18 years since their first album, 16 years since their 'peak', 3 years since their break up, and their popularity is being debated. I think that proves the point in itself. I'll leave it there.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 23:26   #49
Senior Member+

Even now people debate over whether or not Mark Eitzel is the one of the greatest living songwriter in America. This statement was first made in Melody Maker I think.

But then again loads of people have never heard of American Music Club or Mark Eitzel

offtopic I know. But it has also been 18 years since AMC's last album (before reunion) came out.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:54   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:

He said that Oasis were the last of the 'big British bands' to really enter society and take over a generation. Beatles, Stones, Who, Queen, Feelgood, Clash, Pistols, Jam, Bowie, Roses, Smiths etc... it all ended with Oasis.
This is mainly because the music industry is so different. Oasis were the last band for the analogue age of music fans who were into 'proper British bands with instruments' that bought albums and went to gigs. Everything is in a 99p iTunes single now.
This doesn't go to say that Oasis are/were better than any of the other great British bands (as that is all down to taste), it only says that they were the last to make such an effect.
This is exemplified in the bands he mentioned that are trying to make success in the new millennium, such as Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and U2, who, if you did your research, you'd see he has been very complimentary of.

18 years since their first album, 16 years since their 'peak', 3 years since their break up, and their popularity is being debated. I think that proves the point in itself. I'll leave it there.
Think my point is Shaker that Groups such as the Beatles are stil revered 50 years down the line, The Stones are Still going as are Quo, don't think the Gallagher brothers will still be thought of in 50 years time
Old 03-04-2012, 13:12   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think my point is Shaker that Groups such as the Beatles are stil revered 50 years down the line, The Stones are Still going as are Quo, don't think the Gallagher brothers will still be thought of in 50 years time
Well that's a different topic altogether, but when endulged it is a fair point. I disagree, of course.

Oasis means so much to so many people. It's a little bit like a religion - you either get it or you don't. If you don't feel ten feet tall when you hear the guitar solo to Supersonic or Live Forever then you won't understand the sheer joy that Oasis brings to their fans.

Take a look at the below video for an example. That was shot a few months before Oasis broke up, 14 years after the song being played was released. The fans there aren't all in their late 20s/30s, there was a new generation of fans that came through around 2005. Brothers had passed down records, kids hearing Lyla and The Importance of Being Idle looking back to see what the early fuss was about, and they all subsequently subscribed to the noise & confusion.

In my opinion, the passing down of Oasis music will always happen as the music is timeless - written about universal themes such as peace, love, good times and bad. But then, I'm biased.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:34   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well that's a different topic altogether, but when endulged it is a fair point. I disagree, of course.

Oasis means so much to so many people. It's a little bit like a religion - you either get it or you don't. If you don't feel ten feet tall when you hear the guitar solo to Supersonic or Live Forever then you won't understand the sheer joy that Oasis brings to their fans.

Take a look at the below video for an example. That was shot a few months before Oasis broke up, 14 years after the song being played was released. The fans there aren't all in their late 20s/30s, there was a new generation of fans that came through around 2005. Brothers had passed down records, kids hearing Lyla and The Importance of Being Idle looking back to see what the early fuss was about, and they all subsequently subscribed to the noise & confusion.

In my opinion, the passing down of Oasis music will always happen as the music is timeless - written about universal themes such as peace, love, good times and bad. But then, I'm biased.
Can't really comment really on most of Oasis stuff Shaker, as I just didn't like them, as you say its a choice thing. A bit like Elvis Presley, only ever bought 1 of his records that was Jail House Rock, just wasn't my cup of tea
Old 03-04-2012, 18:08   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:

I see that the timing of the band coincided with the peak of the dance scene and their music sort of crossed over into that Manchester Rave scene when people wanted to go out to big gigs and get off their heads - Oasis tapped into that and provided a live experience.

So I see your point that the music business has changed so much now it will by nigh on impossible for a new band to do that again, as it's all changed so much. Like you say kids now want it all for free or 99p - in Oasis days it was the last years of vinyl and the first days of MP3 files and downloads. Nearly all the UK bands now are in the shadow of Oasis, they were inspired by Oasis - like 2nd hand clothes - were as Oasis were inspired by the greats; The Jam, Pistols, Slade, The Beatles and you can hear all those elements in Oasis attitude and music (it's well know Liam got his voice from Johnny Rotten)!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-04-2012 at 18:14.
Old 03-04-2012, 18:25   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:

Liam said this song title was about either 1) sniffing cocaine in the morning "chained to the mirror with a razor blade!". 2) or something inappropriate for younger viewers who may read this!

They did encapsulate the 90's vibe without doubt!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-04-2012 at 18:27.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..