Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2012, 17:50   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Punk heralded the death of pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Punk is pop! You will find that the Sex Pistols were a massive influence on many people and got them into making music in the first place. Even Holly Johnson was motivated by Punk. So were New Order, Adam Ant - the New Romantics and many others!

Did you have to post that Irish clown, it always made me wonder why none of his songs were not littered with four letter words the rest of his conversations were
Old 21-02-2012, 19:25   #92

i cant stand Bob Geldof he's an hypocrite.
stetrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 20:30   #93
JFT96

When you remember how big Phil Collins was and more importantly how good he really was, Punk never stood a chance.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 21:37   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sorry but I can't agree. Look at The Police, just to try to get a hold in the music scene of the time they made their worst ever songs and died their hair blond and tried to act like punks -pathetic! Made it when they did their own thing.

Market forces were at work - punk was new then but didn't last long...

Can't see even at a distance any influence of punk on Frankie and co. they were original as they were and it was dance music -not that I'm an expert of course
Well your ignoring the facts because loads of people who made it latter and got into making music because of Punk said so themselves! The Frankie blokes included - Paul Rutherford was in a punk band the Spitfire Boys! The Cure etc etc then you had the whole Indie Scene of the 80's that came out of Punk Rock - a major player being Alan McGee who also said hearing the Sex Pistols made him think he could be in a band and start a record company.

The Police had a different guitar player when they were playing punk gigs - you don't know if they'd have done the latter music without first playing the punk gigs and making that record!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 00:00   #95
Give, give, give member

This was punk in 1969, when Johnny Lydon was still in short bondage trousers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 00:20   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
This was punk in 1969, when Johnny Lydon was still in short bondage trousers.

This one sounds a bit like the Rolling Stones on valium!
Old 22-02-2012, 00:22   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Pretty crummy attempt at punk by Sting and co. -makes me cringe even now!
Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) was in Big in Japan a new wave punk band from Liverpool...

Old 22-02-2012, 02:00   #98
God Member

Quote:
Punk is pop! You will find that the Sex Pistols were a massive influence on many people and got them into making music in the first place. Even Holly Johnson was motivated by Punk. So were New Order, Adam Ant - the New Romantics and many others!

adam ant didnt even chart when he was doing his punk thing with titles like "naked" and a few others i dont even care to remember

it wasnt until he dropped punk completely and started pandering to children that he gained any success in the charts.The gimmicks and rumours about the white line accross his face made them sort of interesting its just a shame teh white line went from above his nose to underneath it when he moved to hollywood to become an epic failure as an actor lol

In my defence when adam and the ants were at their career highlight i was about 8 or 9 years old but i did get his back catalogue from my older step sister and even at such a tender age recognised his punk stuff to be utter garbage.

Seems dropping punk made quite a few bands flourish lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 13:23   #99
God Member

Quote:
a major player being Alan McGee who also said hearing the Sex Pistols made him think he could be in a band and start a record company.

The Police had a different guitar player when they were playing punk gigs - you don't know if they'd have done the latter music without first playing the punk gigs and making that record!
Probably thought "if they can get away with playing that, you can get away with anything"

As to the Police - cream always floats to the top!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:52   #100
God Member

Heard this one earlier on the radio -had just started at Uni in L'pool when this came out. Great pop song even now -can't work out why he's holding a mascara instead of a microphone though

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 25-02-2012, 11:01   #101
God Member

Another which stands the test of time -love his blue nail varnish too, he has lovely hands.
"Deperir a gris"

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 25-02-2012, 15:49   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Another which stands the test of time -love his blue nail varnish too, he has lovely hands.
"Deperir a gris"

Good video.

I know the girl who was in it with him, Princess Julia. Not really a princess, and now a successful DJ.

Steve Strange played Macmillian's in Liverpool, when the hits had dried up.

He was dreadful, and didn't get much appreciation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 10:24   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good video.

I know the girl who was in it with him, Princess Julia. Not really a princess, and now a successful DJ.

Steve Strange played Macmillian's in Liverpool, when the hits had dried up.

He was dreadful, and didn't get much appreciation.

That Steve Strange were such an odd bloke
Old 02-03-2012, 20:03   #104
God Member

Sweet Dreams x

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-03-2012, 21:52   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sweet Dreams x
Eurythmics started off as punks.

Saw "Saturday Night Fever" the other night it's a good film, the music was around in 77 - so who asked this dumb question in the first place?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..