Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00   #16
God Member

Re: Accrington Stanley history

[QUOTE=Stueagle;1129138]
Accrington Stanley is one of the great names in football (just like Crystal Palace but then I would say that). Foreigners love the sound of it
../QUOTE]

Dam right there fella...Never been to Accy, but read about the clubs demise as a nipper in the old Charles Buchan 'Football Monthly', and straight away they became 'my club', even though I thought they were done and dusted. Imagine my delight when I discovered they were still about many years later. Now nothing else matters football wise.
mab and Exile on Spencer St like this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2015, 16:27   #17
Full Member+

Re Bob Lord. He didn't do Burnley any favours either. I along with a group of supporters wanted to start a supporters club in about 1961. A bloke from Blackburn supporters club came to advise us how to go about it and suggested that although it was not legally required it would be courteous to write to the club telling them of our intention. We got a letter back threatening us with court proceedings if we went ahead and it said ' Burnley do not need supporters.' I wish I had a copy of the letter now. In 1963 he dropped a bombshell and sold McIlroy out of the blue after an away game at Liverpool. So Stanley fans are not alone in repulsion of the man. My dad played for Stanley at the beginning of the war and so I have a keen interest in their fortunes.
Kiwi John, mab and smobile like this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 22:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I was at the 9-2 game (aged 9) with my dad, we were on holiday in London. First game of the season and we were wearing a new strip - white with a red horizontal band round the chest. The Accy Observer had introduced it with the headline "New Strip - New Era?" .

On the following Monday (?) night we went to Millwall and watched us draw a cracking game 3-3 .

But no, I haven't got a programme .
Some terrific memories there, Chimer. Was it a coincidence that your family had arranged a holiday in London that week, or a bit of crafty timing by your dad?

Just out of interest, did many travel from Accy? Were you segregated in those days?

Can't really compete with a 2-9 at Crystal Palace, though I was there when we went down 2-8 at Peterborough. A Posh fan on the train home gave me and Camden Steve a can of beer each, we must have been in a pitiable state...
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06   #19
Senior Member+

Hi Phil

It was a regular summer holiday at my Aunty's - watched some Test match cricket too over the years, but not necessarily the same trip.

Can't answer your questions, I've given you all I've got in that memory vault - oh except that I think Millwall's strip was just like ours but with a blue chest band. But then that makes me think we'd have had to change for the second game as otherwise it would basically have been white against white ...... sorry, just rambling now!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:17   #20
God Member

back in t'day the only strip any team needed was one black and one white - no clash ever then

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..