Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2015, 21:48   #1

Accrington Stanley history

reetings to the Stanley

Crystal Palace fan in peace (bet you haven't seen many of us here !)

Just wanted to ask a question.....Watching the AFC Wimbledon game last night I learned that they have managed to 'legally' claim the history of the old Wimbledon FC who moved and became MK Dons. Technically the old Wimbledon club still exist (MK even still have the name Dons) and AFC are a completely new club.
Accrington Stanley are a famous old club with a rich history going back to 1891 yet you aren't able to claim your heritage because of what happened to you in 1966. How do you feel about this?
After all I would say AFC Wimbledon have less right to Wimbledon FC's history than you do to yours. The precedent set here in this case is that the history belongs to the local community and fans.
We at Palace have a similar situation where there was a Crystal Palace FC in 1871 who played at the same original ground, formed by the workers of the Crystal Palace, but faded due to not being accepted into the then new Football League. This was because we played at the same ground where the FA cup final was held.

I am just interested to hear your opinions on your own history and weather you would like it reinstated?

Nice to see you have an Ultra movement BTW...its controversial at our club but really has helped to create a cracking atmosphere !

All the best for the rest of the seasonG
Stueagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2015, 07:04   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington Stanley history

Hi Stueagle...It was 1962 I think when that nasty piece of work from Burnley FC stitched the club up. I, from afar, regard Stanley as the original Stanley, but whatever way the club is viewed as historically, they are simply the greatest little club in the world.
mab and Greeny like this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:26   #3
Senior Member+

In 1962, they turned the gas off, Stu, but the flame burns on.
smudgie and smobile like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:37   #4
Senior Member+

I was watching before '62 - to me the club's history goes all the way back to Accrington FC. Its the town's team, that's what's important.
AccyMad, DAV007 and smobile like this.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stueagle View Post
....history belongs to the local community and fans.....
Amen to that.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Amen to that.
And women?
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 17:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Hi Stueagle...It was 1962 I think when that nasty piece of work from Burnley FC stitched the club up. I, from afar, regard Stanley as the original Stanley, but whatever way the club is viewed as historically, they are simply the greatest little club in the world.

Wow so you were stitched up by Burnley, what's the story there sounds interesting ?
Accrington Stanley is one of the great names in football (just like Crystal Palace but then I would say that). Foreigners love the sound of it
Have we ever played each other ?

Last edited by Stueagle; 09-01-2015 at 17:52.
Old 09-01-2015, 17:56   #8

Quote:
Wow so you were stitched up by Burnley, what's the story there sounds interesting ?
Accrington Stanley is one of the great names in football (just like Crystal Palace but then I would say that). Foreigners love the sound of it
Have we ever played each other ?
We have, in 1960. I'm sure I've got a programme from the game at palace
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:07   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Just 2 words BOB LORD.
smobile likes this.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:30   #10
God Member

It wasn't just Stanley that Bob Lord ruined...there's an entire generation whose digestive systems never recovered from eating his gristle pies at school dinners.
Kiwi John likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:41   #11
Full Member+

Yes We Have

11th December 1937 (FA Cup 2nd Round) ASFC 0 Palace 1 (Att 5,400)
22nd August 1960 (Division 4) Palace 9 ASFC 2 (Att 15,653)
17th December 1960 (Division 4) ASFC 2 Palace 3 (Att 3,385
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 19:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Yes We Have

11th December 1937 (FA Cup 2nd Round) ASFC 0 Palace 1 (Att 5,400)
22nd August 1960 (Division 4) Palace 9 ASFC 2 (Att 15,653)
17th December 1960 (Division 4) ASFC 2 Palace 3 (Att 3,385
9-2 !! that must have been a crazy game....so if you have a programme deeayess does that mean you were at the game ?!

I have to say you guys need to do something about that 100% record we have against you
Old 09-01-2015, 19:55   #13

Quote:
9-2 !! that must have been a crazy game....so if you have a programme deeayess does that mean you were at the game ?!

I have to say you guys need to do something about that 100% record we have against you
No, slightly before my time. I got it off eBay a while ago
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:11   #14
Full Member+

theres one on ebay now
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:29   #15
Senior Member+

I was at the 9-2 game (aged 9) with my dad, we were on holiday in London. First game of the season and we were wearing a new strip - white with a red horizontal band round the chest. The Accy Observer had introduced it with the headline "New Strip - New Era?" .

On the following Monday (?) night we went to Millwall and watched us draw a cracking game 3-3 .

But no, I haven't got a programme .
Kiwi John likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..