Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2013, 22:21   #16

Re: Beattie: Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
And i've been told that he doesn't take a penny from the club for his efforts.
I was told this by someone at last home game, didn't really believe it, but, if true, puts a whole new perspective on what he is doing here.

We will be forever grateful for his goals, but must now be even more so for his commitment to his mate Leam, & his help with our youngsters.

This is a fine example of 'giving back to the game', as much as Becks supposedly forgoing his salary at PSG.

Different level, I know, but even greater a gift.

Even more so, no publicity.

Last edited by KiTChener; 18-04-2013 at 22:24.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2013, 22:41   #17
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Its true KiTChener apart from exspences which the club pays for and the same can be said of Jeffers
cashman likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 07:16   #18
Senior Member+

Fair play to Beattie if it's true.

Top man
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 07:39   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Its true KiTChener apart from exspences which the club pays for and the same can be said of Jeffers
True of both guys of that i am certain.
Old 19-04-2013, 10:40   #20
God Member

its been common knowledge, since the news of not paying the players wages the other week, that Beattie and Jeffers are supposedly on expenses only deals.

Judged purely on what he offers to the first XI I wouldn't play Beattie. Not to detract from him at all as he still has qualities if you play to them, but he doesn't suit our game and we play worse with him in the starting line-up.

If he's here for a coaching role as well then fantastic and he deserves to be paid whatever that role is worth.

He seems to be a top fella, talks well, charitable, approachable, in it for the right reasons etc, but unless we're building a team to play to his strengths then I wouldn't be offering a playing contract in its own rights.

Jeffers came here for a shop window and won't have done himself any favours due to his unfortunate injury. I think we have seen enough to know that he is still more than capable but his fitness would be a concern to offer anything more than a pay as you play.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 19:50   #21
God Member

Many years ago, when I was on my OE to the UK, I had the pleasure of watching George Best make his debut for Fulham (v Bristol Rovers or Blackburn I think). Also in the team that day was Rodney Marsh and one Bobby Moore. The rest of Fulham were average 2nd div. players (old div 2). Fulham scraped home 1-0 (George Best bungled free kick that bounced over the diving keeper). Best , Moore and Marsh had way to much class for their team mates who really weren't reading of the same page. As a result, I thought Fulham looked mediocre at best, (no pun intended.) It would not surprise me if Beattie is in a similar situation-just alittle to 'street wise' for the rest of the team. Of course I don't have the benefit of having watched him play, but thats my 2 cents worth.
He should stay.
LongLostSon, cashman and mab like this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:01   #22
Senior Member+

Well it looks like I’m more or less isolated on this one; my opinion is based on the team’s performances and was never an attack on his meritorious qualities
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:23   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
Well it looks like I’m more or less isolated on this one; my opinion is based on the team’s performances and was never an attack on his meritorious qualities
not quite fella I think everyone recognises that he has other qualities that he brings to the squad though

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
From the start? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Judged purely on what he offers to the first XI I wouldn't play Beattie.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 15:24   #24

If he is playing for expenses, he's worth having to stick on for the last 10 minutes of the game. If the ball falls to him in the box he'll put it away.

Outside of the penalty box the man doesn't exist.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 15:30   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Jeffers coming on looks like ........ oops wrong thread.

Last edited by cashman; 20-04-2013 at 15:33.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:14   #26
Senior Member+

For my twopenneth, I would like both JB and FJ to stay at Stanley if we can afford them and say thanks for all the help and advice. The names themselves should frighten enough other players in this league, and I believe they have a lot to offer. JB should be Leam's assistant but keep his playing registration (as I think Leam has). No reason why Franny Jeffers can't do the same, help the younger lads by passing on their knowledge of the game.
KiTChener likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:51   #27
Senior Member+

I agree with your point, some teams and players will fear the reputation and their name and focus so much on stopping them, it will allow our other players the freedom to blossom.

And it raises the clubs profile.

I can see Jeffers getting another shot at a league 1 club on decent wages (£1k a week). 32 is no age to restrict yourself to league 2 if you have the ability to play at a higher level and get one more decent pay day.
Outback Ozzy likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:55   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I agree with your point, some teams and players will fear the reputation and their name and focus so much on stopping them, it will allow our other players the freedom to blossom.

I can see Jeffers getting another shot at a league 1 club on decent wages (£1k a week). 32 is no age to restrict yourself to league 2 if you have the ability to play at a higher level and get one more decent pay day.
That would not surprise me either, Just hope he stays put.
Old 24-04-2013, 23:03   #29
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post

Hes staying put is our mr jeffers he wants to play for stanley,and thats from the top
Old 25-04-2013, 06:01   #30
God Member

Good on, Mr Jeffers, look forward to seeing a bulging onion bag.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..