Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2010, 17:47   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Bournemouth match thread

Even the likes of Man U, Chelsea mate dont play the same XI for 90 minutes twice a week for weeks on end................... as its a physical impossibility to be effective that often.

Unfortunately its quite obvious Coley doesnt rate our alternatives which is why he is persisting with the same XI more or less. I dont blame him for that as he has had his hands tied behing his back this season with all the things that have gone on.

As for Bouza, I agree he should be in.

I also agree 100% that we have had a fantastic season considering the circumstances but im a Stanley fan that goes to almost every game home & away so im entitled to my opinion on a public messageboard, whether people like it or not is there perogotive.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2010, 17:54   #107
God Member

Agree with most of your post Oldgobbin (especially the Ilyas stuff) but a few things stick out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
I have to say I sometimes wonder if I watch the same club as some of you people on here. Please tell me, first off, why you can’t expect a team of professional footballers to play two games a week. It must be great to “work” for three hours a week!
Even Fergie rests players if they have midweek games. The fact is our team have looked knackered lately and commonsense makes one think that players who are knackered need a rest! Perhaps it only makes sense in the head of football genii to continue to field unfit players.

Quote:
Secondly, why the “lurve” of Chris Turner? He’s started a couple of games this season and, in my eyes, has shown little to suggest that he is the answer to all our problems.
It happens at every club. A young player makes it through the ranks, looks exciting in cameo appearances; the fans love him. It'll wear off and he'll have to work his socks off to gain a regular place in the team. In my opinion he needs to become more of a team player to warrant a run in the team (he always looks to be out in the wilderness when brought on?).

Quote:
I said after the Rochdale game that our biggest “miss” would be Symes, as Grant has neither the bottle nor the ability to lead the line – and so it has proved. We can’t do anything about this, as we have nobody suitable to do the job – and going on about PM scoring for Morecambe is pointless. Paul has done his job for us and, rightly in my opinion, moved on. Towards the end, he just wasn’t good enough, as Symes has so clearly shown for the majority of this season.
Little unfair with the jibe on people noting PM's goal for Morecambe. I don't think anyone stated that we should have him back. Some just like to look out for old players; where they are/how they're doing. I also saw David Brown and Andy Mangan scored and was happy for them, but wouldn't have either back here. Paul's a legend and it's nice to see him doing well.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 17:55   #108
Senior Member+

Well said Shaker
Old 27-03-2010, 18:01   #109
God Member

Quote:
I have to say I sometimes wonder if I watch the same club as some of you people on here. Please tell me, first off, why you can’t expect a team of professional footballers to play two games a week. It must be great to “work” for three hours a week! Secondly, why the “lurve” of Chris Turner? He’s started a couple of games this season and, in my eyes, has shown little to suggest that he is the answer to all our problems. Thirdly, how can we persist in starting games with a goalkeeper who has consistently proved a failure at a number of Conference clubs? Bouzer didn’t have a bad game against Rochdale – in fact, I doubt if he was to blame for any of the goals – even the last one where he was clearly trying to do his bit for the team. I wonder, but doubt, if he’ll be back on Tuesday.

First point is a fair one

Chris Turner is the by far the best thing to come through the academy at Stanley, he has natural a ability to take players on which in turns draws admiration from the crowd, he has skill, pace & trickery something the rest of the "wing players" at Stanley don't have.

Until his injury he was a regular first team choice, fair enough you have to wait your chance and it is hard when the team are playing well and getting results but over the last five or six weeks we have been crying out for natural balance in midfield but twenty minutes here and five minutes there are asking a lot of anyone.

I am not in favour of the current rotation of the Keepers.

I said after the Rochdale game that our biggest “miss” would be Symes, as Grant has neither the bottle nor the ability to lead the line – and so it has proved. We can’t do anything about this, as we have nobody suitable to do the job – and going on about PM scoring for Morecambe is pointless. Paul has done his job for us and, rightly in my opinion, moved on. Towards the end, he just wasn’t good enough, as Symes has so clearly shown for the majority of this season.

To be able to lead the line you have to either have somebody who is going to play off you or a midfield who are going to create chances for a frontman to strive off.

Symes has been a revelation and his play with Grant at times this season has been the best since Mullin & James but of late it has beeen patchy at best.

Now to matters off the field – you all go on about lack of transparency, especially with regard to the ground developments (Sorry this bit is slightly off topic). Have you no confidence at all in Ilyas? I know I certainly have – in fact I would say he is one of the most openly honest, passionate and transparent characters connected with any club in football today.

I think all fans trust Ilyas as he is one of us which is a fan first and foremost and he did what others said they were going to do and didn't do, which was save the Club.

If you’re not happy about things, then, as he regularly says, CONTACT HIM by text or e-mail and I’m sure he would be only too happy to attempt to give you an explanation (How many other FL chairmen would offer that opportunity?) Surely this would be far better than constantly sowing seeds of discontent - or am I just an incredibly simple soul? Maybe some of you just get pleasure out of being negative.

You summed up how it should be dealt with or nipped in the bud with your previous paragraph which is Honesty, Passionate & Transparent that would deal with most problems and keep people onside.

For my part, I’m happy that we’re still in existence, that we’re having our best season on the field since the 1950’s and that I can still say with pride, wherever I go, that I am an Accrington Stanley fan – and long may it continue.

I think we all agree with that OG!

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes the amount of negativity on this board is hard to come to terms with!

Nothing to be sorry about football is all about opinions and passion without it football would be a pretty dull game and we would have nothing to debate on here

Good discussional post

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 18:11   #110
God Member

Apparently there's a chuckle to be had at Bournemouth's second. "Comedy goalkeeping", I hear. You've got to take positives where you can.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 18:20   #111
Full Member+

Well said. Shaker, and I appreciate your comments about my previous post. (The PM comments were not intended as a "jibe", it's just that, when things are not going too well, people seem to look back nostalgically, at Paul ).

On the "Comedy Goalkeeping" point, I have to say that if you play a comedian in goal, there's a fair chance you'll get comedy goalkeeping!

Having said that, all credit to him for showing SOME improvement this season, but the fact remains, that. as I was saying two or three years ago, as a football league goalkeeper, he is simply not good enough.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 18:51   #112
Senior Member+

Well having just seen the goals on Sky Sports news...............

2nd goal was an absolute howler from Bavs
Old 27-03-2010, 19:03   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

On the "Comedy Goalkeeping" point, I have to say that if you play a comedian in goal, there's a fair chance you'll get comedy goalkeeping!

Having said that, all credit to him for showing SOME improvement this season, but the fact remains, that. as I was saying two or three years ago, as a football league goalkeeper, he is simply not good enough.
we've been singing from the same hymn sheet on that one. as fer the point about 3 hrs a week also agree, but the fact remains players these days do seem to tire,applies to all divisions, so 90% of em rotate, even the top players get rested, why we seem to be in the 10% that don't puzzles me no end.i cannot accept that "ALL" not in the team don't merit a run, some don't i think, but not all of em.
Old 27-03-2010, 19:32   #114
Senior Member+

Looking at Stanley's remaining fixtures,they don't seem to have too bad a run in. And if they were to recapture some of the early season form, who knows what might happen.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 19:44   #115
God Member

Question Re: Bournemouth match thread

Tue 30th Mar H POSTER Barnet League 2 7:45 PM
Sat 3rd Apr A - v - Dagenham and Redbridge League 2 3:00 PM
Mon 5th Apr H POSTER Grimsby Town League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 10th Apr A - v - Darlington League 2 3:00 PM
Tue 13th Apr H POSTER Port Vale League 2 7:45 PM
Sat 17th Apr H POSTER Hereford United League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 24th Apr A - v - Crewe Alexandra League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 1st May H POSTER Chesterfield League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 8th May A - v - Cheltenham Town League 2 3:00 PM

Dagenham and Chesterfield are in top 10, Grimsby and Cheltenham are fighting to stay in FL, Crewe and Vale are in and around us, so I cannot see how we do not have a bad run in??? Sorry to be negative, but we have been struggling for weeks now - since Morecambe and Northampton - but nothing seems to change!!!! Thank goodness we have the points that we have, because if we were in this situation and still looking for enough points to stay in the FL, we would fail!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 19:46   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Looking at Stanley's remaining fixtures,they don't seem to have too bad a run in. And if they were to recapture some of the early season form, who knows what might happen.
Agree to a degree but the margin for error gets slimmer with every point dropped, realistically I think seventy four to seventy six points will be the last remaining play-off spot compered to sixty nine last season.

That means at least seven wins from our remaining nine fixtures

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 19:59   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'm of the mind play-offs are long gone, happy at the points accrued so far, happy we survived this season, very disappointed squad has not been rotated,think coleys performed miracles with next to nowt, think he's still a hell of a lot to learn in the professional game.
Old 27-03-2010, 20:04   #118
God Member

Smile Re: Bournemouth match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i'm of the mind play-offs are long gone, happy at the points accrued so far, happy we survived this season, very disappointed squad has not been rotated,think coleys performed miracles with next to nowt, think he's still a hell of a lot to learn in the professional game.
Spot on Cashy, my good man

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 20:06   #119
Senior Member+

Agreed!
Old 27-03-2010, 20:16   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Tue 30th Mar H POSTER Barnet League 2 7:45 PM
Sat 3rd Apr A - v - Dagenham and Redbridge League 2 3:00 PM
Mon 5th Apr H POSTER Grimsby Town League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 10th Apr A - v - Darlington League 2 3:00 PM
Tue 13th Apr H POSTER Port Vale League 2 7:45 PM
Sat 17th Apr H POSTER Hereford United League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 24th Apr A - v - Crewe Alexandra League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 1st May H POSTER Chesterfield League 2 3:00 PM
Sat 8th May A - v - Cheltenham Town League 2 3:00 PM

Dagenham and Chesterfield are in top 10, Grimsby and Cheltenham are fighting to stay in FL, Crewe and Vale are in and around us, so I cannot see how we do not have a bad run in??? Sorry to be negative, but we have been struggling for weeks now - since Morecambe and Northampton - but nothing seems to change!!!! Thank goodness we have the points that we have, because if we were in this situation and still looking for enough points to stay in the FL, we would fail!!!

It's just me wishful thinking. Although there was a time this season when we were playing really well,we would have fancied are chances against any side in the league. As I say just wishful thinking.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..