Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2010, 20:46   #121
God Member

Re: Bournemouth match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
think he's still a hell of a lot to learn in the professional game.
Starting with the fact that footballers are actually born and bred outside Merseyside.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2010, 21:10   #122
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Agree with most of your post Oldgobbin (especially the Ilyas stuff) but a few things stick out.

Even Fergie rests players if they have midweek games. The fact is our team have looked knackered lately and commonsense makes one think that players who are knackered need a rest! Perhaps it only makes sense in the head of football genii to continue to field unfit players.
Sorry but got to agree with shaker on this point,just how long does it take to recover from playing 90 minutes football twice a week?

It happens at every club. A young player makes it through the ranks, looks exciting in cameo appearances; the fans love him. It'll wear off and he'll have to work his socks off to gain a regular place in the team. In my opinion he needs to become more of a team player to warrant a run in the team (he always looks to be out in the wilderness when brought on?).

Little unfair with the jibe on people noting PM's goal for Morecambe. I don't think anyone stated that we should have him back. Some just like to look out for old players; where they are/how they're doing. I also saw David Brown and Andy Mangan scored and was happy for them, but wouldn't have either back here. Paul's a legend and it's nice to see him doing well.
Whilst congratulating David Brown and Andy Mangan on their goal scoring prowess, did you also realise David Brown was also sent off today!! Just one point though, yes the team are missing Michael Symes but maybe JC should have signed a target man up front instead of a defender. What bugs me is the statistic (I don't know how true it is) that we did not have one shot on target and 3 off target today. That is not acceptable by any standards.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 21:33   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
how long does it take to recover from playing 90 minutes football twice a week?
All I'm saying is that the players are looking knackered and rotation should be used to deal with that. Whether they should be tired or not is a different question. I know Coley doesn't think they should be tired; he said earlier in the season that even if we didn't have a game midweek they'd have an extra hard training session instead.

Quote:
Whilst congratulating David Brown and Andy Mangan on their goal scoring prowess, did you also realise David Brown was also sent off today!!
Yes. Struggling to guess what that has to do with the price of fish, though

Last edited by shakermaker; 27-03-2010 at 21:35.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 22:01   #124
Senior Member+

Interesting comments, here,s my two penorth. Re playing two games a week, if your fit you should have no problem playing two games a week. If you only play one game, you practice four or five times a week as well so you adjust accordingly. If you have a knock or are under the weather, maybe you can,t give 100% so that,s where the boss has to decide, are you more effective at 80% than someone else giving 100. The players on the bench are dying for the chance to show what they can do if they,re good enough, if they aren,t good enough your in trouble. As I can,t watch Stanley other than this forum and the papers these are just general thoughts but watching how performances are fluctuating from game to game there has to be a problem either with team selection, team spirit or team attitude. Is the team good enough? They have proved that they are, is there a problem with team spirit, therefor effort? Is there a thought that some players may not want to play Div 1, may feel they are not good enough. These are things only the boss can sort, it,s his problem! The answer? We all have opinions, that,s our job, we,re supporters, we all want to have a winning team and via this forum we have to keep letting the club know that we care what,s going on and that they understand how we feel about OUR club.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 22:20   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can't see any problem with spirit or attidude, i think what we got is good enough to at least challenge fer play offs, i do think symes is a big miss, leaves em with 2 little uns up front. many premiership stars get rested, that is fact, this aint happening at the crown, is also fact.
Old 27-03-2010, 22:24   #126
Senior Member+

come on fellas and fellasses last year we were looking over our shoulders well into april. this year we are into march and have virtual guaranteed safety in the football league for another season. massive improvements and surely we are now an established football league club with possibly one of the lowest wage bills and gates in the league. whilst it is incredibly dissapointing with the dip in form and results should we not be rather excited about the the pleasure of league football come August, continued progression and of course (hopefully) a weekend in Torquay next season
Old 27-03-2010, 22:28   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hey nige i aint wishing me life away, still this season yet.
Old 27-03-2010, 22:56   #128

Having just joined the site and learned how to use a computer hello to everyone,very interested to read your reviews with interest,on the situation at the club,if i may, i think a win at home tuesday night puts us right back in the chase,i do think that there is way to many points to play for at this time to be given up on the play offs, but i do admit we,ve missed michael up front,the lads class,and two young lads up front against seasoned pros is always going to be hard,but we can put it right on tuesday night.
jimbob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 23:18   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
come on fellas and fellasses last year we were looking over our shoulders well into april. this year we are into march and have virtual guaranteed safety in the football league for another season. massive improvements and surely we are now an established football league club with possibly one of the lowest wage bills and gates in the league. whilst it is incredibly dissapointing with the dip in form and results should we not be rather excited about the the pleasure of league football come August, continued progression and of course (hopefully) a weekend in Torquay next season
Got to agree with all of that, but I just think that starting at Macclesfield, and pointed out at the time, it seemed obvious to me that after our phenomenal run we could have used Coley's "best ever squad" with a bit more nous than has been the case. It's very frustrating to have fallen away so badly since, although I'm not for one moment ruling us out of the play-offs yet!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 23:19   #130
God Member

******. Me staying away from this thread didn't work. Now, lets be having Barnet.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 09:16   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
All I'm saying is that the players are looking knackered and rotation should be used to deal with that. Whether they should be tired or not is a different question. I know Coley doesn't think they should be tired; he said earlier in the season that even if we didn't have a game midweek they'd have an extra hard training session instead.

Yes. Struggling to guess what that has to do with the price of fish, though
Sorry Shaker, I was agreeing with Oldgobblin on this post not you, apologies for the confusion, but my point still stands, how long does it take to recover from playing 90 minutes of football and we aint got a squad of 30 to rotate the team - we only have 20 or 21 due to financial irregularities earlier in the season and embargoes etc. JC saw fit to keep at that level until the end of the season.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 10:58   #132
God Member

Smile Re: Bournemouth match thread

Match Reaction.

Sunday 28th Mar 2010

Coleman takes responsibility.

Boss John Coleman conceded that his team selection played a part in Stanley’s 2-0 defeat to Bournemouth at Dean Court.

“We weren’t good enough today,” said Coleman. “Bournemouth have won without getting out of bed. They were the better side and didn’t have much to do to be the better side. I think they only had three shots in the whole game.”

The Reds trailed to Liam Feeney’s 18th minute goal and went further behind 12 minutes from time when goalkeeper Ian Dunbavin could only parry Feeney’s effort to Brett Pitman.

“The second goal was a calamitous error, just when we’d got them in a position where I though they looked a bit edgy which was possibly our best spell of the game, but in the 90 minutes we weren’t good enough and didn’t deserve anything out of the game. We got exactly what we deserved, which was nothing.

“I’ve got to maybe take some responsibility,” admitted the gaffer. “We had an insipid performance on Tuesday and I gambled that the lads would give me a response today and played the same side. I got possibly an even worse performance today, so it’ll be a test of my managerial credentials to shuffle the 19 players I’ve got to come up with a solution to win a game on Tuesday.”

The defeat leaves Stanley 14th in the League Two table ahead of the midweek clash with Barnet at the Crown Ground.

Well it looks like the "Football Genius" has been on this forum, or been listening to Cashy Just hope he does not make too many changes, just to prove a point!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 11:10   #133
God Member

Quote:
we only have 20 or 21 due to financial irregularities earlier in the season and embargoes etc. JC saw fit to keep at that level until the end of the season.
we have a squad of 20? I thought it was 12! We have the 10 usual outfield players and 2 goalkeepers.

Players do get tired and it probably isn't fitness, more a case of mental tiredness. Don't forget this team has playing way above it's expected level for quite some time and something had to give. However, by resting a player here and there you can keep their focus at its peak for longer (apparently).

Symes and Grant could have been rested at any point for a more than able Kee.

Proctor, Ryan, and Joyce could have been rotated more than dropping or subbing the same player each time.

Miles could have been dropped way more often.

Kempson or Edwards could have been rested now and again for Flynn (an International Under 21 player).

Playing the same players every game gives room for individaul error and under par performances. Which is what we got. When a couple of results go against you, especially given the circumstances of the Rochdale match, then it becomes even harder for a tired team to raise all their performances at once.

Symes will have had his rest so will come back all guns blazing, hopefully, and Grant will have benefitted from an injury enforced break and will be fully fit by the time he gets his partner back. The back four look worryingly knackered so I dont know what is gonna happen there. But with a bit of luck and hopefully tonking Barnet on tuesday, we may get the confidence back up and anything can still happen. We are one of four or five teams all battling for seventh spot. Whoever has the best run out of their last games will win that spot.

But how great is it to be arguing amongst ourselves whether we are disappointed to miss out on the play offs or whether we should be grateful to have been anywhere near them!!!!!!!! IMHO I am disappointed if we don't get there but I am very hopeful of a great 2011 because the only way Coley can keep up his 12 year improvement record will be to either get us into the play offs or get another job - hopefully it'll be number 1!

As for the Chris Turner thing - well it is agreed that we all think he is a crowd favourite because he takes people on. I like him because he probably the only player we have who wants to cross the ball at every opportunity - and very good at it he is! The problem with that is the team are used to having the wide men cut in (cos they're on their wrong foot?) towards the penalty box and play low balls across the six yard box, so there is rarely anybody gambling on the cross coming in. We all thought he should have featured more prior to Torquay but when he came on against them he was magnificent until we stopped passing to him. He should have started the next game purely on merit but didn't. That must be crushing for a young player like him who will be left wondering what he has to do to earn a spot. He did then get starts but was sacrificed in one (Barnet when Dunsavin got sent off) and rightly subbed in another. He'll come good but needs to have more than cameo spots - especially when Miles has his spot in the team secured on the basis of 'look what he can do when he wants' Well if Turner played forty games a season I am sure he would create more chances than Miles, and at least he's involved in the tracking back game.

As far as the transparency thing is concerned - I dont give a monkeys!
Old 29-03-2010, 08:33   #134
Senior Member+

Keep the Faith

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:38   #135
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
I have to say I sometimes wonder if I watch the same club as some of you people on here. Please tell me, first off, why you can’t expect a team of professional footballers to play two games a week. It must be great to “work” for three hours a week! Secondly, why the “lurve” of Chris Turner? He’s started a couple of games this season and, in my eyes, has shown little to suggest that he is the answer to all our problems. Thirdly, how can we persist in starting games with a goalkeeper who has consistently proved a failure at a number of Conference clubs? Bouzer didn’t have a bad game against Rochdale – in fact, I doubt if he was to blame for any of the goals – even the last one where he was clearly trying to do his bit for the team. I wonder, but doubt, if he’ll be back on Tuesday.

I said after the Rochdale game that our biggest “miss” would be Symes, as Grant has neither the bottle nor the ability to lead the line – and so it has proved. We can’t do anything about this, as we have nobody suitable to do the job – and going on about PM scoring for Morecambe is pointless. Paul has done his job for us and, rightly in my opinion, moved on. Towards the end, he just wasn’t good enough, as Symes has so clearly shown for the majority of this season.

Now to matters off the field – you all go on about lack of transparency, especially with regard to the ground developments (Sorry this bit is slightly off topic). Have you no confidence at all in Ilyas? I know I certainly have – in fact I would say he is one of the most openly honest, passionate and transparent characters connected with any club in football today.

If you’re not happy about things, then, as he regularly says, CONTACT HIM by text or e-mail and I’m sure he would be only too happy to attempt to give you an explanation (How many other FL chairmen would offer that opportunity?) Surely this would be far better than constantly sowing seeds of discontent - or am I just an incredibly simple soul? Maybe some of you just get pleasure out of being negative.

For my part, I’m happy that we’re still in existence, that we’re having our best season on the field since the 1950’s and that I can still say with pride, wherever I go, that I am an Accrington Stanley fan – and long may it continue.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes the amount of negativity on this board is hard to come to terms with!
Spot on post pal. Fans look to the board for inspiration in terms of attracting fans to the club. However, if you take the general vibe on here sometimes you would think it was the WORST place to watch football....

When its not.....

Bournemouth was ace bar the football, but that happens. Like someone said Villa got tubbed, HAyes & Yeading got tubbed, Chester have gone bust

We are Stanley.... Division 4 and proud

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..