Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2013, 16:57   #16
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Towm Match Thread

but I still thought Beattie was rubbish. two goals is a performance from a striker but in reality his general play was crap
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2013, 17:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
but I still thought Beattie was rubbish. two goals is a performance from a striker but in reality his general play was crap
Aye Rob but he,s now in,t clubhouse clutching his bottle of lambrusco for being voted MOM
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:10   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Agreed, but we don't really have a realistic alternative on the bench. He's the ONLY forward we have who gets his shots on target! Terrible thing to admit, but true.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:19   #19
Senior Member+

Thought it was a much improved performance today,and was nice to put a face to Val and Redraine.We really should have won having 19 shots(9 on target) and Gray and Murph will only know how they didn't score.
The penalty was a joke,the lad knocked it too far and went looking for Hughes leg,clever,but still cheating.
The second came from Hughes conceding a needless free kick,but for me the keeper was at fault not coming,indeed,I am on the fence about him as I've yet to see him dominating or making saves and his kicking is average at best.
The stats say they had two shots on target,and against a quality team,it shows how well they played.
Talking to Val about combinations,thought Wilson and lids did well and the CBs,who were up against two good lads.
There were plenty of positives,and chances created,just a little concerned with 4-4-2 as in the second half,they made subs,packed the midfield to stop getting overun(took there wide men off) an got back in the game,but Bocco stayed out wide and pushed on,very positive,but a tad suicidal!!!
Made for a exciting game.
I did tell Val Beattie would step it up today and I predicted 2-2,should have gone the bookies
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:22   #20
Senior Member+

I agree with Macca, Beattie reminds me of John Miles but at least Beatie put away the two chances that came his way, I thought both Gray & Murphy had two excellent oppotunities which they failed to convert and which would have put the game to bed, not impressed with Cheltenham a that uses thier Physical strengh to win games
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:22   #21
God Member

no alternative to Beattie? Gray was thrice the player Beattie was today. By virtue of his runnign and effort and chasing every ball I'd play Gray every game. If Amond can step up to that then I'd play him as well.

In a relegation battle we need eleven men every week
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:32   #22
Senior Member+

Improvement in performance, but not in the result.

1 win in 17 is a shocking stat, but hopefully if we play like that vs Rochdale we should pick up 3 points and move closer to the 50 mark.

The one thing Beattie does do is to draw the attention of the opposition team.
They put alot of focus on him no matter how bad he is playing because of his name and reputation, whch in theory should free up space for the other players to influence the game.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:39   #23
bdc

The performance today was good but the reality is that we failed to convert all the chances we had into a win. That's the main reason we are in the relegation zone in the first place. The one thing that irked me today was the substitutions we made, we were playing well with 2 up top and we needed to win so we were chasing another goal. I just understand why we took a striker off and replace him with a midfielder when the 2 up top system was working well. Why not replace James with Amond and go for a third goal which would've lifted us out of the relegation zone. One point to show for a good performance is the reason we are going down, yes we have defended badly at times but conversion of chances into goals is what is costing us dearly.

Today was a missed opportunity.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:03   #24
Senior Member+

bdc your spot on,I was calling for Podge to be given the last twenty minutes as Grey was tiring and was getting caught offside too often(he put a shift in tho).Think the first sub was tactical to match them flooding the central areas.
The new lad looks a player as well
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:37   #25
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth, first in a while.

Thought it was the best performance by stanley for a long while. The players looked like they where up for it from the first minute. Hughes at the back looks a real find, just a shame we havent got Atkinson alongside him. Liddle had his best game of the season at LB, but still cannot believe he is keeping Molyneux out of the side.

Joyce wasnt a passenger for the first time since October by my reckoning. New lad showed some great touches and for me is a sure fire starter for Tuesday night. Boco yet again tried his 100% best, my god the lad has some unbelievable energy. Was my MOM.

Gray had his best game in red shirt, though should have done better with chance, he was very good indeed. Surprised people are criticizing Beattie. He scored two?!?!?! Doesnt matter if he doesnt do anything else, he is a striker for gods sake, its his job to score goals!!! He can do that every week for me.

To sum up, play like that every week and we wont have a problem, simple. I just hope they maintain that level on Tuesday and especially next Saturday which is MASSIVE !!!!!
Greeny likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:22   #26
Senior Member+

Smudgie agree ref Beattie. Don't know why he's getting so much stick for today...HE SCORED 2 GOALS! if he continues that we have more than a fighting chance and he seemed genuinely delighted when that first one went in and I do believe he has real desire to keep Stanley in the football league. Cut the fella some slack!
Old 23-02-2013, 19:31   #27
Senior Member+

Was at Hillsborough today but my thoughts were never far away from Stanley.

I believe with every fibre of my being that we can stay in League 2 and we must.

The players must take encouragement from and build on this performance. They can win at Rochdale and I believe they will. I don't think it will be as bad as 2006/7 when it went down to the penultimate game of the season.

PS Stanley's old friend Tango man was on good form despite freezing temperatures.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!

Last edited by Haggis316; 23-02-2013 at 19:34.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:14   #28
Super Moderator

Taken a point each from two of the top sides - that's got to be good. Matches against lower placed sides coming up which will hopefully bag us a good points haul. Well impressed with that Linganzi feller - he's going to play a major part in our survival - I can feel it in me water.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 21:06   #29
God Member

If not for players missing chances made and the referee allowing blatant cheating, we would have won today.

If you think the manager is at fault, give your head a feel. You'll see that you are an idiot.

We're playing too well to go down. Come on Accy.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:07   #30
bdc

Conversion of chances into goals is the main thing we have to do if we are to stay up, I have full confidence in our defence but we need to score more goals from the chances that we create. If we do that we will stay up, if we don't we will be relegated.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..