Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2007, 00:05   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Craney??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Some short memories amongst you lot. Nobody really excelled last season but we managed to survive which wernt bad for a young side with hardly any league experience in the team.

He already had about 6 or 7 goals last season before he left I seem to recall. Nobody else in the current midfield has quite the goal threat and quality he has from set pieces.
I'm not too sure about the "short memories" comment. On checking records, Craney scored 6 goals in League 2/Carling Cup last season before his departure. Of these 6, 3 were scored when he was playing as striker (2 against Peterborough and 1 against Blackpool). Of the other 3, 1 was a free kick (v Wycombe).
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2007, 06:38   #17
God Member

and two were direct from corners
Old 24-09-2007, 11:45   #18

Last time I checked goals from corners, free-kicks and from a midfielder playing up front still counted!

Like I said in my post I think his delivery from set pieces could benefit Mullers thats all and if Coley has more options to choose from then surely thats better for Stanley whether he decides to play Craney or not (that is if he comes back).

Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 16:45   #19
Senior Member+

he is coming back on loan check fishy site

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 17:15   #20
God Member

Best 150,000 (less Altrincham's cut) the club ever made, getting shut of him. Not a bad conference player but did nothing in League 2 bar score a couple of free kicks that everyone seems to go on about. Eric Whalley seems to be at a loss to explain the low crowds, perhaps people don't want to pay Football League admission charges to watch Conference standard players.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 17:29   #21
Senior Member+

Great news!!!

I for one am chuffed.....Well done Coley!
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 17:30   #22

It makes me smile how people's opinion's change so quickly. The majority of people making comments regarding our major slump last season cited Craney and Roberts leaving as the main reason (as did the so-called experts).

I agree that Craney did struggle in the first few games just to get up to the pace of it, but then started to show his true quality which is why Swansea paid all that money for him.

However they go in 6 or 7 goals from a midfield player after only a third of the season is good going at any level. This is excellent news for us and once again Coley & Eric have come up trumps.
Paper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 17:47   #23
Senior Member+

One of the best players ever to wear red & white in the name of Stanley.....

Welcome Back Ian.......... Legend

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 17:59   #24
Senior Member+

i cant believe some of you.

Harris was MOM against Wycombe, and has done nothing since.

Proctor goes missing in games.

And Carden is not fit yet.

This is a fantastic coup - the central midfield has been poor part of the team. (Why not play Branch there?).
V.good deal by Coley.

Lots of options this year - and only 5 points from the top and 4 of the big boys out the way.
Bring on Bury.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 18:09   #25
Full Member+

Brilliant news!! Another step in the right direction ! It just shows how far Eric and Coley will go to keep pushing this club forwards. If only the public of Accrington would get behind the team and push the attendances up to a level the club's continued hard work deserves !!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 18:39   #26

Brilliant news. When Craney left last year it ripped the heart out of the team. We went 11 games (9 in the League) without a win and it nearly cost the club its League status.

Obviously it'll take a few weeks for him to get match fit, but, back in his proper position, as an attacking midfielder, rather than wasted in a defensive role, like he's been at Swansea, Ian can only improve the balance of the side.

After the despondency of a few weeks ago news like this gives one hope for the future.

Well done Coley! Well done Eric!

Now all we have to do is hold on to the rest of our better players.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 20:19   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Boy View Post
The majority of people making comments regarding our major slump last season cited Craney and Roberts leaving as the main reason .
Roberts leaving was the main reason. Results took a downturn straight away. Craney leaving just made things worse - especially after David Mannix showed himself a more than adequate replacement but then got crocked on his debut at Grimsby.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 21:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
David Mannix showed himself a more than adequate replacement but then got crocked on his debut at Grimsby.
He played a full 90 minutes for the club in a 2-0 defeat and from that you can tell he was a more than adequate replacement for a player who was second only to Paul Mullin in the scoring charts during our promotion season.

If you can accurately judge a player off so little evidence you're in the wrong job mate. Move over Fergie.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 23:47   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Monkey View Post
He played a full 90 minutes for the club in a 2-0 defeat and from that you can tell he was a more than adequate replacement for a player who was second only to Paul Mullin in the scoring charts during our promotion season.

If you can accurately judge a player off so little evidence you're in the wrong job mate. Move over Fergie.
in fairness, Mannix was the only one to come out of that game with any credit and had shown himself to be a class well above anything else on that particular field that particular day
Old 25-09-2007, 08:02   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
i cant believe some of you.

Harris was MOM against Wycombe, and has done nothing since.

Proctor goes missing in games.

And Carden is not fit yet.

This is a fantastic coup - the central midfield has been poor part of the team. (Why not play Branch there?).
V.good deal by Coley.

Lots of options this year - and only 5 points from the top and 4 of the big boys out the way.
Bring on Bury.
I think we must have been watching different games! Andy Procter has covered every blade of grass in the games I have seen this season (and last). On the evidence of last Saturday's match, Graham Branch is one-footed and far far too slow for central midfield.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..