Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 20:24   #16
Junior Member+

Re: FA Cup

Mr Monkey is having slight delusions.... we never took 1000 to Stalybridge. the reason I know this... the total crowd was only about 800 - but two thirds were City!

We did take 1000 to Telford a while back and a good 400-500 to Tamworth and Belper. But they are a bit closer than Accy. I would be pleased with 200-250... it could be more. I guess it all depends on how much the local paper talks up the tie. Also if we suddenly put in a run of form and beat Nuneaton and Northwich the next games out I would reckon that would put an extra 100 or so in the coaches.

Don't be surprised by Worcester's support levels. You lot probably didn't notice when we were one of the really big non-league clubs back in the late 70's and early 80's. The club was founder members of the old APL (now Conference) and regularly used to apply for league election. We are still a well supported club and would probably be a bigger force if not crippled by a £700,000 debt.

Really looking forward to the match and good old sing song. I reckon that you will find us tough to beat as the new manager & his assistant very much start building the team from the back forward. We have lots of experience and quality in the back 4/5. If only we had some top strikers I would almost be optimistic.

My prediction - a draw at your place and then we lose back at the Lane when we are actually forced to attack!
Old 10-10-2005, 21:03   #17
Senior Member+

Should be a good game and a tough one for the Stanley. I really hope we get past the 4th Qualifying Round this year, as last season was a bit of a let-down.

Hope all the travelling fans have a good trip and I'm sure you'll all be made welcome. I just hope you all go back disappointed.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17   #18
Senior Member+

It was a right kick in the teeth to be knocked out by leigh wasn't ot But this year is a new campaign so hopefully another run like the season before last wouldn't go amiss to the club..

Chelsea away..3rd round
Old 11-10-2005, 10:23   #19
God Member

I wouldn't underestimate Andy Preece after what he did against us when playing for Carlisle but I reckon our lads'll be well up for it after not getting to the first round proper last year.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 16:17   #20
Senior Member+

Zayno - you can stuff chelsea 3rd round, would prefer the money spinning tie at the Theatre of Dreams, and if Exeter can get a 0-0 draw, well we could just be Man U's banana skin (dreaming I know lol). %age of gate money of a 67,500 crowd - well you never know, they might be able to build a roof over ta coppice end as well

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 17:09   #21
Senior Member+

truthfully IF WE get to the third round and IF we got united away how many fans would be take? Exeter took a very lot!! Doubt we would match it

Ahhh the dreams ...

Last edited by zayno14; 11-10-2005 at 17:11.
zayno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 17:54   #22
God Member

course we would you look at how many we took to bournemouth at the other end of the country and really not that big of a team in trem of englsih football. where as man united would be THE team to beat and is close by so loads would go....... oh the FA CUP things that dreams are made of!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 18:47   #23

yeah and don't forget 15 of us flew down to Bournemouth (the aeroplane 15)
Old 11-10-2005, 20:33   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottletop
yeah and don't forget 15 of us flew down to Bournemouth (the aeroplane 15)
Well if we drew Manchester Utd in the Cup you'd wouldn't have to fly, you could drive there. Oh... hang on... on second thoughts....
Old 11-10-2005, 22:50   #25
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayno14
truthfully IF WE get to the third round and IF we got united away how many fans would be take? Exeter took a very lot!! Doubt we would match it

Ahhh the dreams ...
I'm sure we would match them ... just remember how many we took to Ewood Park to play Crewe Alexandria in 1992
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28   #26
Super Moderator

...and how many we took to Turf Moor for the Scunthorpe tie the season afterwards.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04   #27
Junior Member+

Anyway, please don't judge us on how many fans we bring, judge us on how we perform on the pitch. You may be interested to know that Preecey hasn't been picking himself in the starting eleven recently, though whether he does or not against you is of course his own decision.

Its one hell of a tough eight days for us. Northwich at home on Saturday, and then another toughie mid-week at home to Nuneaton, before we travel in hope to Accy. Hopefully, all of the squad that play those two will emerge unscatched and free of disciplinary punishment, and that we may even have one or two of our long-term injured back to face you - namely left-back Les Hines (ex-Hednesford) and right-sided midfielder Nic Colley (ex-Tamworth). Our midfield play-maker Jai Stanley is virtually certain to be out for weeks.
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 20:20   #28
Full Member+

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the fact that George Stewart, one of the most prolific goalscorers Stanley ever had in their football league days, was signed from Worcester City in 1954. I had the pleasure of seeing him play many times - a real gem. Thanks a lot Worcester!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 22:17   #29
Junior Member+

Apparently, you paid us 500 quid for him. A bargain by the sound of it!
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 08:10   #30
Super Moderator

It was, although we also had to pay £1000 to St Mirren, his club before Worcester, with whom he was still in dispute. He was worth every penny, though - 136 goals in 182 appearances and we sold him on to Coventry for £3,750 in 1958.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..