Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2005, 10:23   #31
Junior Member+

Re: FA Cup

I've just read our history book about this particular time. It says that then-City manager "Bill Jones made many signings before 1954/55 started. He was particularly adept at signing players out of contract with League Clubs. The player was then listed 'at a fee' by his former Club, and if no League Club came up with a suitable offer the player was able to play outside League football. In the days of the maximum wage, players were often better off playing in non-league football with a day job.".

So, before the 54/55 season, we signed players from Clyde, Stoke, Birmingham, Milwall, Swansea, Walsall, Cowdenbeath, Middlesborough and Stewart himself from St.Mirren. No wonder then that Accy also had to pay St.Mirren, and that he played just seven games for City (scoring twice).

The point being that Stewart wasn't a long-term City player who had proved himself in the Southern League and was moving upwards and onwards. He was a full-time professional, temporarily released, who we managed to make a small profit on through wheeling and dealing. I doubt his name would mean much at all to long-standing City fans.

I see also that our home gates averaged over 3,500 in that season, and were consistently at that level thoughout the late 40s/50s.

Oh, and here's a little question for you. Do any long-standing Accy fans know of City's most famous scalp in the FA Cup? As a clue, you've got to be thinking the late-1950s.
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2005, 10:43   #32
Super Moderator

Liverpool in 1959.
Old 13-10-2005, 11:27   #33
Junior Member+

Yeah, that would be the one.

Of course, it means absoultely sweet FA now, but in a desperate search for portents, that was the last year City were captained by a player who had previously appeared in a Wembley FA Cup Final. Until this season! Roy Paul then, Graham Hyde now. At the time, Liverpool were pushing for promotion, like yourselves, and our away form in the league was poor (no need to comment!). If the gate is announced at Accy as 15,111, then I'll know we're on to something special!!
Old 13-10-2005, 12:44   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bullock (Wor)
If the gate is announced at Accy as 15,111, then I'll know we're on to something special!!
Andy, I think if you take the 1 off the end of that figure, you'll be nearer the mark!
Old 17-10-2005, 23:05   #35
God Member

anyway, forget Chelsea or Man utd in the third round, lets first dispose of the friendly chaps from Worcester, then I'd like Blackpool away in the 1st, Wrexham away in the 2nd followed by Burnley Or Blackburn in the third (would the other in the 4th be too much to ask?)

Can anybody remember who we would have got in the 3rd round after disposing of Crewe?
Old 18-10-2005, 09:48   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
Can anybody remember who we would have got in the 3rd round after disposing of Crewe?
I think we'd have had a glamour tie against Marine.

Interestingly, Crewe were knocked out on the 5th Round by Blackburn Rovers.
Old 18-10-2005, 16:19   #37
Junior Member+

You might find this piece in our local Worcester paper to be of interest ...

http://www.thisiswcfc.co.uk/worceste...ITY_LANE0.html

BTW, your manager and scout will have seen us lose 1-0 at home to Nuneaton Borough on Monday night, following on from our Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to Northwich Victoria.
Old 18-10-2005, 20:05   #38
Resting in Peace

I must say that the chap from Worcster sounds like a very likeable person. Just hoping that the game is a good clean injury free (for both teams) and that the team that wins is the team that plays the best on the day (COM'ON STANLEY!!!!)

Would love to be at the game but saddly have to work and if I turn up it means someone ill/injured and I dont want that

Would really like for Stanley to have a run in the cup like a couple of season ago and see if the money from the cup can get the roof on for the fans to shout it off!!!!
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 10:36   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T

Would really like for Stanley to have a run in the cup like a couple of season ago and see if the money from the cup can get the roof on for the fans to shout it off!!!!
DOWN WITH THE ROOF!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..