Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 10:56   #1
Senior Member+

FA Cup

Accrington Stanley v Worcester City

October 22nd, 2005

FULL DRAW
http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/i...FULL&nid=30172

what do you rekon?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17   #2
Full Member+

Re: FA Cup

At home and avoided another Conference side ... can't ask for any more than that!
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:27   #3
God Member

Sounds really good to me. Conf north team and not doing so good as yet this season. Bit of caution though we still need to show them some respect as they will be really up for coming to the IES and we don't want to be caught napping due thinking it's going to be an easy match!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:56   #4
Resting In Peace

Worcester City at home. Player/Manager Andy Preece who scored two against us for Carlisle last season at IES, defenders Des Lyttle who played against us for Forest Green and Rob Warner ex Tamworth. Midfielder Graham Hyde from Hereford. Some players that we already know. Not to be taken lightly.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:54   #5
Junior Member+

It'll be a tough game for sure. Pity we have to come to a ground with below-average gates, as a third of the gate or whatever it amounts to these days won't go very far if we are going out! You'll be glad to know that Worcester are one of the rare breed of footballing sides, not one that resorts to kicking lumps out of the oppo. The Worcester team is a side full of height and pace, which has taken a while to bed in after losing a key player during pre-season. Don't let the league position give you too many thoughts of an easy ride, the squad has been a bit threadbare after an injury-wracked start, playmaker Jai Stanley will defintely be out, as will George Clegg (yes, that one), but Les Hines and Nick Colley may well be back. Apart from Andy Preece, Des Lyttle and Graham Hyde, who have 1000 league games between them, there is other professional experience in the shape of striker Leon Kelly and Canadian International Justin Thompson, while keeper Danny McDonnell is an England Semi-pro International.

You can expect a large Shed Army contingent travelling up for this one, should be upwards of 500 making the trip up the M5/M6.

Last edited by oldmonkey; 10-10-2005 at 12:56.
oldmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 13:07   #6
Junior Member+

Yep, tricky draw for us at Worcester. Be good to play you - don't think we have ever met before in our 102 year history.

We've been in the FA Cup for a couple of rounds already, and both times we've been drawn at home against lower league opposition - always the initial response to the draw being you couldn't really hope for much more. That's what you've got this time. And then we start worrying about banana skins and all that. Anyway, successfully neogtiated Bemerton Heath Harlequins 7-0 and on Saturday despatched Tonbridge Angels 3-0.

Its noted that you're currently second in the Conference and unbeaten at home. Our season's record doesn't exactly compare great with that, what with being third bottom in the Conf North, without a win away from home this season.

Anyhow, it'll be a big day out. We're one of the better supported Conf North sides, and like OldMonkey says, you can expect a few visitors.

I'm sure this a game a lot of our players will relish, but I suspect that they're all going to have to be very good on the day to even get close.

Another name you might know connected with the Club is our coach, Andy 'Jock' Morrison, formerly with Man. City. The squad isn't all full of old professionals - we've got a couple of young lads coming through from the academy this year, breaking into the first team due to our injury concerns.
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 13:10   #7

Looking forward to a good day out, hopefully we'll bring a few hundred and make it a good atmosphere. Oh, and thanks for beating Hereford on Friday!!
WCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 13:36   #8
Senior Member+

Some decent fans in Worcester. . . . .

but 500???? you sure?

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 13:53   #9
Junior Member+

I'll let OldMOnkey decide himself if he is being over-optimistic with his estimate of 500 travelling fans. I think you can be certain that around 150 -200 will travel - as for more, it'll depend on just how much this tie grabs them. We've got a lot of latent support in the City for the Football Club. If this were to go to a replay, we would probably get a bigger crowd than you'll get on the Saturday - maybe 1800 - 2200 City fans would turn out. Problem is, they don't turn out regularly for League games. While we averaged 1000 last year, we are almost 200 down this year. May be something to do with the success of Worcester Warriors RFC.
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 14:26   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bullock (Wor)
I'll let OldMOnkey decide himself if he is being over-optimistic with his estimate of 500 travelling fans. I think you can be certain that around 150 -200 will travel - as for more, it'll depend on just how much this tie grabs them. We've got a lot of latent support in the City for the Football Club. If this were to go to a replay, we would probably get a bigger crowd than you'll get on the Saturday - maybe 1800 - 2200 City fans would turn out. Problem is, they don't turn out regularly for League games. While we averaged 1000 last year, we are almost 200 down this year. May be something to do with the success of Worcester Warriors RFC.
It's not that long since we took 1000 to Stalybridge for an FA Trophy game, or the Telford game. Two wins against Northwich and Nuneaton would double the following from the usual FA Cup 250.

Any news if it'll be on TV yet? BBC will be showing highlights from three games, and they seem to have this obsession with Accrington still.
Old 10-10-2005, 15:27   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkey
Any news if it'll be on TV yet? BBC will be showing highlights from three games, and they seem to have this obsession with Accrington still.
They got taste thats all fella!

Yeah, its probably the same pull for you as Bournemouth was for us & we took 700 there so........

See you in two weeks!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 15:39   #12
Senior Member+

good draw for the stanley. Will look forward to the fixture Should be a good atmosphere and game. The FA cup run starts at home .................

Biggest tie of the round has to be Exeter City v Stevenage Borough...

Last edited by zayno14; 10-10-2005 at 16:04.
zayno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 18:39   #13
God Member

Good luck to the Worcester fans. By that I mean I hope you enjoy the ale cos thats all you'll be taking back with you. I'm backing Mullers to find his scoring touch against this lot and fill his boots. Hope they do fetch a few though, its nice to see well supported lower league teams, reminds of the days in the north west counties. Now theres a stroy or two to be told, I remember a time when.....................................
Old 10-10-2005, 19:11   #14

If it goes to a replay, (i hope it doesn't) woudld it be tuesday 25th ocotber
rishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:56   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishton
If it goes to a replay, (i hope it doesn't) woudld it be tuesday 25th ocotber
No, it would be Monday 24th October. Worcester play their midweek games on a Monday.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..