Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2007, 20:44   #31
God Member

Re: For the Whalley Out Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by doheochai View Post
Stanley is currently in a stable financial situation but givent he current level of attendances this will not maintain itself indefinitely. Eric has admitted this himself. .
not quite, he admitted that the club would struggle to progress without investment

Quote:
Now Stanley may not be an option for MFC - it is clear that the board want investment in the club but appear unwilling to give up control of the club for that investment.

and this is where we will fail to secure anything from anywhere. Who would be willing to give the likely sums wanted without getting anything major in return?

As much as I don't like the idea of buy-the-club coming here, there is no doubt that the money they would bring, the long term stability they would offer (merchandise sales would legitmately be ours etc) is much needed and could go a long way.

But, a club with a history like ours does not need tainting with Roman Abramovich style monstrosities. Even if they only stayed a year we would forever be the club that bought its success. And we have never done that.

Look Stanley up in the dictionary

Stanley verb to do the hard way

Lets have a 3rd round draw at Old Trafford instead please
Old 18-09-2007, 20:44   #32
Senior Member+

are they on the stock market under accrington stanley plc.. ?
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 20:46   #33
God Member

no but you may have found them on the outdoor market once upon a time!
Old 18-09-2007, 20:49   #34
Senior Member+

So what do they trade under then :S
Old 18-09-2007, 22:11   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I'd prefer to take Bagpuss to Goodison.

Admire your patience in responding to the MFC brigade, Macca. Personally from reading their posts, wouldn't like to have a pint with any of them, and I'm more than sure it'd be mutual.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 08:55   #36

Quote:
not quite, he admitted that the club would struggle to progress without investment
Correction noted.

Quote:
As much as I don't like the idea of buy-the-club coming here, there is no doubt that the money they would bring, the long term stability they would offer (merchandise sales would legitmately be ours etc) is much needed and could go a long way.
To be honest, while the financial benefits would be significant for a club like Stanley, in my opinion, the running of the club by football supporters will be of significantly greater importance. The backbone of any club are the football fans and they are the only ones who don't have any say in what happens.

Quote:
But, a club with a history like ours does not need tainting with Roman Abramovich style monstrosities. Even if they only stayed a year we would forever be the club that bought its success. And we have never done that.
I think you are way off the mark here. All clubs 'buy' success - there is no other way of doing it. To suggest that MFC is anything remotely approaching Chelsea is flying in the face of what MFC is all about. Does Abramovich allow fans vote on anything? As I said above the actual democratic structure and the involvement of football fans around the world, among club fans and among the local community is far more important in the potential for positive impact than any financial benefits that would accrue. Remember that clubs like Peterborough have far more money at their disposal than any club MFC could purchase. Does this mean that Peterborough are akin to Chelsea? The financial benefits of MFC will ensure stability and the ability to engage in long-term planning - in the interests of the club - not the whim of the chairman. Allowing the fans to have control is potentially of far greater importance.

Quote:
While I would love to see Stanley going there and going one better then Exeter - financially - it is only of limited benefit (as Exeter have seen).

Wishing the club every success.
doheochai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 13:29   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
The financial benefits of MFC will ensure stability and the ability to engage in long-term planning - in the interests of the club - not the whim of the chairman. Allowing the fans to have control is potentially of far greater importance.
And all these supporters will have a say, what happens if its a 50/50 split vote who makes the decision? If I understand it correctly, it will have a chairman and a board, who decides who these are? and if they disagree with the vote do you oust them? Like communism it is great in theory, but someone has to be in charge otherwise anarchy.
As you know all fans are fickle, so if enough want to fire the manager, does he go? or when he signs his contract it will be on the understanding that he may be fired on the wim of a few supporters?
Who decides who the manager, coaches, kitman, tea ladies etc will be?
It sounds like a good idea on paper, but power to the people........please, the average fan knows how to winge and complain, he does not know how to run a football club.
Looking at your logic that MFC is not Chavski, means that it doesn't have the ambition of the Chavs, so you are looking at buying a club and staying in the lower leagues, what happens when the owners get peeded off with staying there, they take there money and run.
What about inflation, when your 1.4 has run out do you ask for more, or do you fold and start again?
Just a couple of questions that the article doesn't answer.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 14:41   #38
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
I'd prefer to take Bagpuss to Goodison.
Hopefully this won't happen because I don't really want to go but reading the Telegraph report it sounds like Rob Heys is worried about his job, don't worry Rob pay your £35 and vote yourself back in as new manager.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 18:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
And all these supporters will have a say, what happens if its a 50/50 split vote who makes the decision?
The chances of a tie with somewhere between 30,000-50,000 votes are very slim.

Quote:
If I understand it correctly, it will have a chairman and a board, who decides who these are?
Vote by the membership

Quote:
and if they disagree with the vote do you oust them?
Yes - the intention is that the representaives of MFC will represent the interests of the members. Policy decisions will be made by a general vote of the membership.

Quote:
Like communism it is great in theory, but someone has to be in charge otherwise anarchy.
Think a better description would be participatory democracy.

Quote:
As you know all fans are fickle, so if enough want to fire the manager, does he go?
The intention will be to recruit a head coach rather than a manager - who will have responsibility for coaching the team.

Quote:
or when he signs his contract it will be on the understanding that he may be fired on the wim of a few supporters?
The coach would in all likelihood have better employment protection than currently exists for managers. And no he couldn't be fired on the whim of a few supporters - unless you regard 50,000 as a few.

Quote:
Who decides who the manager, coaches, kitman, tea ladies etc will be?
Current staff will be retained under existing terms and conditions - it is not intended to come into a club and just sweep everything aside. MFC members are very conscious of the need for stability and continuity. A significant period of time will pass while the membership get to know the working of the club - the players etc. Of course there will be problems and it will be a learning curve for everyone involved - but at the end of the day MFC will operate in what is in the best interests of the club.

Quote:
It sounds like a good idea on paper, but power to the people........please, the average fan knows how to winge and complain, he does not know how to run a football club.
Have to fundementally disagree with you here. I am of the opinion that the average fan knows just as much, if not more, about football than the average chairman (considering the amount of chairmen that have completely f*ck-up their clubs)

Quote:
Looking at your logic that MFC is not Chavski, means that it doesn't have the ambition of the Chavs, so you are looking at buying a club and staying in the lower leagues, what happens when the owners get peeded off with staying there, they take there money and run.
Of course we want to progress the club - the fundemental difference between Chelsea and MFC is not ambition but participation. With MFC the fans will decide not one Russian billionaire that will swan off and leave Chelsea up the creek when he finds another plaything (or goes broke).

Quote:
What about inflation, when your 1.4 has run out do you ask for more, or do you fold and start again?
With 50,000 members the potential income for the club will be in the region of £3-4million per annum. From membership fees, increased merchandise sales, increased attendances, increased sponsorship and increased commercial activities. If necessary the membership fees can be increased by a maximum of 10% per annum (this would require a vote of the membership). To be honest the financial aspects will not really be an issue - the key point being that MFC must run the club with a balanced budget and cannot enter into contracts that could place the club in financial difficulty.

As regards folding and starting again - personally I think this is a one off - it is potentially possible to do the whole project a second time but I doubt very few of the membership would be interested. The intention is to have a long-term view 15-25 years and hope we can build the club during this period. Members of MFC are also very aware of the fact that the long-term viability of the club depends on building support for the club in the local community. MFC can keep things going for a period with the worldwide membership but without the support of the local community eventually MFC would have to withdraw.

Quote:
Just a couple of questions that the article doesn't answer.
And a few answers - I will answer any questions you or others have.
Old 19-09-2007, 18:56   #40
God Member

questions for you then

1) seeing as you still seem to be hanging around here then and have appointed yourself as spokesman for Buy-the-Club there must still be a chance (you think) that Accrington Stanley is on the cards. What is the feeling on your forum? what are the chances? could you confirm whether an offer has been made or whether we have expressed interest?

2) I do not have an 'employed' status at the club but me and a few others have special privileges such as queue jumping, free admittance to Cup matches, buy one get one free at the bar etc - will this still stand?
Old 19-09-2007, 19:41   #41

Quote:
questions for you then

1) seeing as you still seem to be hanging around here then and have appointed yourself as spokesman for Buy-the-Club
Not a spokesperson - expressing my own opinion - relating info from MFC terms and conditions and opinion from MFC forum.

Quote:
there must still be a chance (you think) that Accrington Stanley is on the cards. What is the feeling on your forum? what are the chances? could you confirm whether an offer has been made or whether we have expressed interest?
A number of people are pushing for Stanley to be approached as regards possible purchase - Now there are 500 regular posters (ie every day or two) and 3,000 who post sometimes - the number of Stanley advocates is probably less than 40.

As regards the status of any contact between MFC and Stanley - all we know is that 7 clubs have approached MFC to discuss possible MFC investment. We know that negotiations are ongoing. MFC have recruited a well-known firm of solicitors to act on MFC's behalf and the investigation of all potential clubs for purchase with be significant and thorough. We do not know who these clubs are as all have insisted on confidentiality and are aware only to our takeover team. I do not know if Stanley are one of the seven but the takeover team have not approached any club. To the best of my knowledge MFC has not made an offer on any club - negotiations have not progressed that far. Stanley will be on the cards if Whalley approaches MFC and offers to sell the club for an affordable price. MFC's solicitors will then carry out due diligence and if everything is satisfactory MFC could make an offer - but it could also make an offer on one of the current seven (assuming Stanley isn't one of course)

Quote:
2) I do not have an 'employed' status at the club but me and a few others have special privileges such as queue jumping, free admittance to Cup matches, buy one get one free at the bar etc - will this still stand?
You can make your case and we'll put it to a vote
Old 19-09-2007, 19:50   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:

You can make your case and we'll put it to a vote

That is a absolute joke the well known fans on this small club who have attend will lose there benefits while the big wig chairmen and board will show off its a joke i hope you stay clear of us and go on ruin a club like barrow
Old 19-09-2007, 20:05   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
i hope you stay clear of us and go on ruin a club like barrow
Top call Mr Nickelson !!

I for one don't want some faceless,financial experiment in whatever guise MFC wishes to call itself to use MY club as a guinea pig. If MFC are looking for a club to invest in i'd suggest :

Head up the M62 to Elland Road and speak to Cuddly Ken. I'm sure that he'd welcome the "financial input"!!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 20:07   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Head up the M62 to Elland Road and speak to Cuddly Ken. I'm sure that he'd welcome the "financial input"!!!!
Would also be cheaper for them as well cos Bates thinks a pound is only worth 8p
Old 19-09-2007, 20:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Would also be cheaper for them as well cos Bates thinks a pound is only worth 8p
if only....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..