Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 16:07   #16
God Member

Exclamation Re: Former Liverpool Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Jeff,thats a bit harsh!!,Acci have got a lot of players now with good technique and strike a lovely ball,ie Jimmy,charlie,Razor,Gornell,Joycie etc...
He must have something about him to be rated as a finisher.
I cant get my head around why a lot of people still have a pop at him,in reality hes only a young lad learning his trade and his goal return for a midfielder this season is up with anyone in the league
He keeps FANs favourite Chrisy Turner out of the team, why? Because of his relationship with the management - that is why!!!! That and he is a lightweight, who tackles rarely and even though he has scored plenty this season, he misses plenty more!!!

By the way, I do not dislike Macca, but I do understand the feelings of Cashy/Jeff and Co

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2010, 23:48   #17
Full Member+

Re: Former Liverpool Players

Can't agree with that Val. I used to manage a football team, albeit at a somewhat lower level than the Football League, but I'd choose Sean Mac over Turner any day. I just don't happen to be a bandwagon jumper. Turner, to me, has gained his reputation by NOT being in the team --- i.e. "he's got to be better than what IS in there." In my humble opinion, he just isn't! He COULD prove me wrong, in time, and I really hope he does, but I've seen little to inspire me so far this season.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 00:00   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have to disagree oldgobbin, i rated turner when he was in the side, seems ages back now, sean mac in fairness has improved this season somewhat, wereas turner just comes on fer a few mins as sub, in my opinion merits a run of a few games then fair comparison can be made.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:43   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Can't agree with that Val. I used to manage a football team, albeit at a somewhat lower level than the Football League, but I'd choose Sean Mac over Turner any day. I just don't happen to be a bandwagon jumper. Turner, to me, has gained his reputation by NOT being in the team --- i.e. "he's got to be better than what IS in there." In my humble opinion, he just isn't! He COULD prove me wrong, in time, and I really hope he does, but I've seen little to inspire me so far this season.
Having watched Chris develop at Stanley through his apprenticeship to the Reserves and then on to the First team he has done it the hard way and has proved that, that's how his reputation was forged.

In a 4-4-2 Chris should walk into the Stanley starting eleven, he has the speed to beat his man and is probably the best crosser of the ball at the Club, we are playing whatever system at the moment meaning only one up front with Sean given the "Lionel Messi" role ala popping up here & there, if we are to provide like for like comparisons then Chris needs to be given a chance at that role.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:58   #20
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Chris Turner is a winger and an excellent one at that! The system that Stanley are and have used all season sofa doesn't use winger's, using a lone striker up front and packing the midfield with attacking minded midfielders meaning no room for an out and out winger,unless the system reverts back to a 442 then im a fraid Chris will keep on playing a bit part,and keep warming the bench!!! Which is a shame IMHO
Old 11-12-2010, 06:05   #21
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Having watched Chris develop at Stanley through his apprenticeship to the Reserves and then on to the First team he has done it the hard way and has proved that, that's how his reputation was forged.

In a 4-4-2 Chris should walk into the Stanley starting eleven, he has the speed to beat his man and is probably the best crosser of the ball at the Club, we are playing whatever system at the moment meaning only one up front with Sean given the "Lionel Messi" role ala popping up here & there, if we are to provide like for like comparisons then Chris needs to be given a chance at that role.
Spot on Google Page Ranking!! ps Your quicker at typing than me
Old 13-12-2010, 12:40   #22
Senior Member+

oh dear,I think i must go against public opinion and totally agree with oldgobbin.
You cant live or base your reputation on what you did two years ago.
If he was good enough and puts 110% in training,he would be in the team.
I believe he is a cracking lad,but everytime i have seen him play, he flatters to deceive,indeed in one game,cant recall who against,his first five touches,he miss controlled 2 and gave posession awya with 3 !!, i remember thinking " is he taking the ****".
Obviously some of you remember him playing well,but you still have to perform in training and put in mom displays in the reserves,to get a recall.
To say hes the best crosser in the club is open to debate,in my opinion hes way behind Ryan and Mc conville ( even putterill)
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 12:49   #23
God Member

Quote:
indeed in one game,cant recall who against,his first five touches,he miss controlled 2 and gave posession awya with 3 !!, i remember thinking " is he taking the ****".
I remember that and I remember thinking the same thing, though I think it's a cynical point of view. To be more fair I think Turner is going through something like what Shaun Wright-Phillips is at City. He's down the pecking order, doesn't really fit in their new system and when he gets an opportunity to play he almost tries too hard; with bad results, but the fans love him. I think if we're to play a high tempo 4-4-2 then he hasn't got much competition for the right wing slot (unless our square peg central midfielders are put in round holes), but as it is I can't see a way Chris will get in the team. It's a shame.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 15:12   #24
Senior Member+

Shakermaker,the point i was trying to make was,after reading these forums, i was expecting to see the second divisions "ronaldo",only to be disappointed.
I have seen hundreds of talented kids disappear into non-league,indeed a recent PFA article raised concerns that of the 600 lads who enter pro football each year,500 "disappear"before they turn 20,
Some go into non-league,some just pack it in.
If you want to make a career,they have to maximise there potential,and aim as high as possible up the pyramid as there are always younger,hungrier lads waiting behind them for there chance.
I do hope Chris takes this on board and becomes a top player before it passes him by
Old 13-12-2010, 16:40   #25
God Member

Quote:
Shakermaker,the point i was trying to make was,after reading these forums, i was expecting to see the second divisions "ronaldo",only to be disappointed.
I have seen hundreds of talented kids disappear into non-league,indeed a recent PFA article raised concerns that of the 600 lads who enter pro football each year,500 "disappear"before they turn 20,
Some go into non-league,some just pack it in.
If you want to make a career,they have to maximise there potential,and aim as high as possible up the pyramid as there are always younger,hungrier lads waiting behind them for there chance.
I do hope Chris takes this on board and becomes a top player before it passes him by
Bit harsh!!

This is a lad who had the opportunity to go elsewhere as others have and gone but he didn't he showed faith in the Club for giving him the opportunity in the first place.

SFFS
Old 13-12-2010, 16:44   #26
God Member

Quote:
oh dear,I think i must go against public opinion and totally agree with oldgobbin.
You cant live or base your reputation on what you did two years ago.
If he was good enough and puts 110% in training,he would be in the team.
I believe he is a cracking lad,but everytime i have seen him play, he flatters to deceive,indeed in one game,cant recall who against,his first five touches,he miss controlled 2 and gave posession awya with 3 !!, i remember thinking " is he taking the ****".
Obviously some of you remember him playing well,but you still have to perform in training and put in mom displays in the reserves,to get a recall.
To say hes the best crosser in the club is open to debate,in my opinion hes way behind Ryan and Mc conville ( even putterill)
That would be the game we played him on the left then and then moved him for the right only to put two gilt edge crosses in for us not too score will it?

I won't get into debates about other things but you probably know how it works?

SFFS
Old 13-12-2010, 18:25   #27
Senior Member+

I understand that Sean McConville was at Everton.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:35   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
I understand that Sean McConville was at Everton.
as a supporter?
Old 13-12-2010, 19:25   #29
Senior Member+

Pendle red,its not harsh,its reality!,kids who break into the first team sometimes think its easy and they have made it,THEY HAVE NOT !!.
In my opinion,you shouldnt be classed as a football pro till you have played at least 100 first team games!
Look at some players profiles and they are playing 8 or 9 games each season,get released,have a good trial,get signed and the cycle starts again.
If i could give Chris any advice it would be listen and trust what the coaches are asking you to do,train like a mad man,and observe what is required from him when the opposition have the ball,he is a talented kid but seems to think he gets judged by how many men he can beat or how many crosses he can deliver,this is not always the case,thats only a small part of a team game( pointless beating a man if you can pass around him,pointless crossing if theres no one there!!!)
Old 13-12-2010, 19:32   #30
Senior Member+

haggis 316, sean was defo at liverpool,the lad at that time for everton was JP Kissock,think he played for Acci,another who thought he made it(he was good!) and is now driving a taxi

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..