Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 15:52   #1

Former Liverpool Players

I am currently working on an upcoming article for a Liverpool fansite which will track the progress of loaned out and former Liverpool FC players.

As part of this article I need the opinions of fans of clubs these players have played for, so could I ask you gentlemen to tell me your opinions of Peter Cavanagh, Jimmy Ryan, Andy Parkinson, Ray Putterill, John Miles, Dean Bouzanis, Ian Dunbavin, Andy Owens and Craig Lindfield

I know that's asking a lot! But any feedback on the players would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks lads.
Sweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2010, 18:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Former Liverpool Players

what about charlie barnett ? , and sean mc conville was there until he was around 16
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 18:57   #3

Yeah, those two as well please. Left them out by mistake.
Old 08-12-2010, 19:13   #4
Senior Member+

Jimmy, Charlie,Razor,and Craig were part of Heighways dream team,Local lads and great players,but Benitez wanted top foreign kids(who in my opinion were not as good as these) and they were released and Heighway left.
Jimmy and Charlie were the best central midfielders at there age group,but liverpool retained Jay Spearing,who was a 5-5" centre back and turned him into a central midfielder.
You need a certain amount of luck and the coaches need to take a chance,you cant tell me these lads training with your Gerards,and and carraghers(who was a average midfielder) ever day could easily play at prem level,Look at Phil Jones at Blackburn,A centre back playing in midfield,is he better than Jimmy?,In my opinion not!!
What will hinder these lads progression is the lack of quality training facilities,that really needs addressing,
Old 08-12-2010, 19:28   #5
Senior Member+

I know you cant keep everyone,but when they left liverpool,I watched the reserves play on quite a few times,and they lacked passion and desire that the liverpool lads gave them(and quality!).
How many of them are in the first team,or indeed still playing at Liverpool?
People tried to copy Aresnal and cherry pick the best kids in europe,but there is no guarntees with foreign kids,but you will be amazed how many local kids are now starring for Barca first team,and other class youngsters waiting in thw wings.
Liverpools loss is Accis gain,and credit must go to the gaffer,they say scousers always stick together!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 19:36   #6

Thanks mate, but what I'd like is your opinion on the individual players, so that I can show how they are rated by their current clubs.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34   #7
Senior Member+

sweeting,here goes then
Peter Cav; not really seen him play,but is a legend at Acci who captained them,Now at Fleetwood
Jimmy Ryan; One of best young players i have seen and predict he will play in prem in the next 5 years
Andy Parkinson;Coming to the end of his career but still a class player,think he played at wembley for tranmere
Ray Putterall;class act and will defo play at an higher level maybe championship or above
John miles;reminds me of matt le tiss,everybody complains of his work ethic then scores a wonder goal!,at fleetwood now
Dean Bozz;never lived upto to his reputation as one of the best under 19 keepers in the world
Ian Dunbavin;good shot stopper,but always in and out of team suggests consistency has stopped him going any further
Andrew Owens;looks a class act,but not played much due to injury
Charlie Barnett;same as razor,but only himself will stop his progression
Sean mac;prob end up a decent first div player in the next few years
These are my own views and no doubt others will disagree
Old 09-12-2010, 15:03   #8
God Member

Agree on most of those, football19.

Didn't know McConville was at Liverpool. I think the only way Sean will progress through the leagues is if he's developed as an Adam Johnson type winger; he can whip in some beautiful crosses from either side but has too slight a frame to play in other attacking positions. Think League One will be his ceiling.

Just a bit more on Peter Cavanagh. Personally I always thought he was too good for non-league or basement League football. A clever modern full-back but strong in the tackle. He was a fantastic captain but had his career hampered by injury and blemished by a farcical FA trial. Many disagree on here but it's my view and I'm not alone with it.

Oh, and what about Steve Hollis? John Durnin? Mike Marsh?!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 17:45   #9

Cheers for that lads, good stuff!
Old 09-12-2010, 18:34   #10
Senior Member+

Shakermaker,I am pretty sure mc conville never got offered a yts at liverpool,but i remember him playing up front with Linfield upto under 16 level.
I recall him having a great touch but was small and lacked a yard of pace(always had something to say! i think its in the scouse genes).
Playing for skem probably allowed him grow and toughen up,whilst not under as much pressure.
I still think hes not filled out yet and theres more to come
Old 09-12-2010, 18:37   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well football19 if ya think sean mcs toughened up, we will have to disagree, fer me thats his biggest failing.
Old 09-12-2010, 20:16   #12
Senior Member+

Cashman i worded that wrong !,what i meant was he get tougher than he was with experience,he will never be a Roy Keane,that will never be his game,but get a few "water carriers" around him and he will blossom,I believe hes one of the best finishers in training and its only time before he does it consistantly in the first team.
He may perfect the "toe tackle" lol
Old 09-12-2010, 21:24   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I also have been told as i was tellin a few the other week, that hes the best finisher,in training, so surprisingly he gets some brownie points off me fer that.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I also have been told as i was tellin a few the other week, that hes the best finisher,in training, so surprisingly he gets some brownie points off me fer that.
Don't forget that in training he is up against our superb defenders, and it doesn't take a lot to be the best finisher if the rest are useless.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:35   #15
Senior Member+

Jeff,thats a bit harsh!!,Acci have got a lot of players now with good technique and strike a lovely ball,ie Jimmy,charlie,Razor,Gornell,Joycie etc...
He must have something about him to be rated as a finisher.
I cant get my head around why a lot of people still have a pop at him,in reality hes only a young lad learning his trade and his goal return for a midfielder this season is up with anyone in the league

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..