Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2007, 09:33   #1
God Member

How Can Crowd Numbers be Boosted

Tuesdays gate was just over 2,000, yesterdays just over 1800
of which there was probably 1200 Stanley Fans tops how can we boost crowd numbers?
I know the weather and perhaps people being skint after their holiday's probably plays apart, as does the lack of the roof at the moment. The Club took the bold step of letting under 12's on for free which has probably paid off to a certain degree. The main observation I have noticed is the 12 to 16 age group is not targetted a bit more and looking round the ground at the age groups that is one key area that appers to be overlooked. I notice more and more in an area like the North West where there is such a variety of Professional Football Clubs from Premiership down to League Two like ourselves that marketing is key it is an area that is improving slowly at Stanley but when you have a product in a marketplace that you are competing against bigger fish you have to constanly be at the forefront with new ideas to keep moving it forward. I just wondered what other peoples thoughts and ideas might be on how to help swell attendances and keep them coming back?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2007, 09:50   #2

Re: How Can Crowd Numbers be Boosted

I think the problem with you guys is the fact that you are in the middle of a football hot bed ie Burnley and Blackburn with very loyal fan bases who aren't prepared to fork out more money watching a team who would only be No2 in their loyalties.

Only time will tell if we can hold on to around 2500 of last weeks opener of 3600. But the difference is that we are not in the centre of a hot bed. We also attract support from throughout North Lancs and South Lakes and have done so for a number of years.

I'm suprised that your gates have reduced considerably considering that the 'product' on show last season ie goals seems to be so good!

Must be heartbreaking for Coley and Eric.
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:25   #3
Senior Member+

I'm not knocking you Pendle Red, but we've had this discussion so many times over the years and nothing ever comes of it. There're lots of contributing factors and we've talked about them until we're blue in the face.
I'm tired of it now.
Old 19-08-2007, 10:32   #4
Senior Member+

there is one thing which may football league teams overlook as a marketing point of view.

and that is possessing something unique.

to get myself, an everton season ticket holder and supporter upto the age of 21 to change 'sides' to supporting stanley and becoming a season ticket holder meant 2 things.

1. everton needed to be doing something wrong
eg. 25% price hike and no improvement on the pitch and no vision in the boardroom (looks towards bill kenwright) and possibly becoming kirkby fc.

2. stanley offered something fresh, exciting and real. a team with the correct attacking attitude, a club that doesnt want to join the 15 or so clubs like Mansfield who are happy just to 'survive' midtable - this is what kills a football club IMO.
Im pleased to see stanley really want to get up and out of league 2.

Entrance is affordable Im able to get tickets/into away grounds (impossible to follow everton away).

And the fans are genuinly passionate and unique. I may not be an 'ultra' or hand around with the 'ultra's' but I do passionatly follow stanley, and shout my head off.

So stanley, needs to keep raising its profile and its fans profiles.

I just wish I wouldnt get so many funny looks from some on the Clayton end for my accent.

Last edited by DAV007; 19-08-2007 at 10:38.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:41   #5
Senior Member+

Yes, Pendle Red, your enthusiasm stands out, but when a Morecambe fan can give a pretty good analysis of the situation it shows how much it's been done to death. [ Nice post CC ]

Just for the record there was a big step change of 1,000 when we won the Unibond Premiership, but that's not going to happen again, it's now a slow build up, it is happening, but start of season tends to distort underlying trend.

Bit of an (FA) Cup run would be good this year though, and not just for attendances.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:54   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I just wish I wouldnt get so many funny looks from some on the Clayton end for my accent.
They're wondering why you aren't playing.

Good post DAV007, and welcome aboard. But, pricewise we've more than doubled over the last few years, and away clubs tend to be higher prices still, so locally it's a different proposition.

You've got the football and fans side spot on, but possibly this is part of having a small fan base, and feeling closer to the club.

I certainly think we should emphasise the style of football we play, it's as good as anything I saw at Goodison.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 12:26   #7

Also dont forget the start of the football season is also the middle of holiday season, i suspect there will be a lot of fans abroad right now.
Old 23-08-2007, 21:42   #8
God Member

Just bumping this back to the top!!
Yeah we probably have had the discussions before but given the Quotes from the Observer it has to be a serious discussion, we all have a part to play in it!!
Whether that's buying the season tickets, paying on the gate, wearing the shirt, spreading the word in whatever way shape or form. It's time for the Club, fans, council and community as one to unite and move it forward somehow?
I think the one thing that we all want is for the club to do more than just survive! We need to take it onto the next level but how?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 23-08-2007 at 21:45.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 20:03   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz66 View Post
Also dont forget the start of the football season is also the middle of holiday season, i suspect there will be a lot of fans abroad right now.
I agree some people may still be on holiday but how long is it before we start blaming christmas as a factor after the "holiday season"?

I think the club should personally give an incentive with the 4 games in a month thing, go to 3 of the games get the forth free? not sure it will work but an idea.

But i agree with TM how mnay times have we said, bring a friend, neighbour,work friend?
Old 24-08-2007, 21:05   #10
God Member

Bomb Blackburn & Burnley.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 21:28   #11
God Member

Shoot Rupert Murdoch and make Sky illegal. Thats were all the cash goes for matches they want to watch at home or the boozer. If in Accy and a home match is on I go.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:02   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Bomb Blackburn & Burnley.

No don't do that, you'll just make the **** holes news worthy....

1. Let's have a couple of bars and a smoking area at the goal ends.

2. A "F" in roo.

3. Some over 18 cheer leaders.

4. playing football that gets the heart racing every week.

5. Wake up Accrington and District to what they have on their doorstep.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:05   #13

Yes there are issues surrounding attendencies around holliday times, but it is to be expected, however I do aggree that the apathy of the accy folk has been dissapointing to say the least.

From my own experiencies over the last 14 yrs following stanley(thnks rob!), I have had some of the best time of my life, teens go, twenties go...and I still go up't Crown/IES/FES. Quite a few of the friends I have worked with over the years have come allong on an empty saturday and after a couple of scoops and a chant or two have been hooked from the first cast, these folk(lads and sometimes missus, mates+kids+mates) still come to this day.

Last season these good folk said they were only going to go to a couple that season, asking why, I was answered "well, I'm not gonna bring the rabble if we can't gedda pint and get pis&8d wet through". I said to said friend that I was sorry he felt that way but understood where was coming from. Now the roof is nearly there, phone has been ring again "how are you bud?....yeah been really busy?...when are they playing next? is the roof done? were are we meeting before these days?

"Same place, usual time" I said, "see ya there"

Stanley to me is more than burning a hour or 2 on a sat, it's a WAY OF LIFE!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:09   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
No don't do that, you'll just make the **** holes news worthy....

1. Let's have a couple of bars and a smoking area at the goal ends.
Not gonna happen.
2. A "F" in roo.
Impossible 2 days Miracle a few years longer
3. Some over 18 cheer leaders.
So will an over 40's dance troop do
4. playing football that gets the heart racing every week.
Well better fork out more dosh. Oops cant not enough people come along
5. Wake up Accrington and District to what they have on their doorstep.

Only if you can get them away from Sky and Satanta

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 07:58   #15
Senior Member+

A number of years ago when Sheffield Wednesday left the Prem and it became apparent the parachute payments would make little impact on their massive debt a group of supporters founded The Owls Trust now known as Wednesdayite with a view to safeguarding and promoting the club. The directors gave them shares worth about 9% of the club.

Its turned rather sour with Wednesdayite and the Board not working together.

We already have the supporters club and the Ultras and I hesitate to suggest that a further organisation be formed but clearly some organisation focussed on the preservation and development of league football at Accrington Stanley and capable of reaching out locally and nationally (most football people have an interest in and affection for Stanley) is needed to expand the club's unique profile and its support base and hopefully assist with funds.

Accrington Stanley FC is a national institution and there's no way Stanley's league status and development should be allowed to be jeopardised because of a current lack of people coming through the turnstiles.

In the ordinary course a season ticket would not be feasible for me because distance and family circumstances mean I can at best get to 4 - 6 home games a season but if it came to the club's league survival I am sure many in a similar position would consider what tangible substitute support they could provide to the club.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..