Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2008, 16:52   #16
God Member

Re: Les Cocker 1966 World Cup Medal Campaign

there's a good few Stanley mentions on there! good on you all.
Old 26-02-2008, 13:14   #17
God Member

Bumping thread up for Wobbly & if word could be spread round ground too that would be great, i have mailing address with me for those with no tinternet.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 15:09   #18
God Member

Stanleymad media savvy hehehee

Yorkshire Evening Post editor has just spoken with me & are doing a little piece on our support as im collecting signatures & if any of OSC or fans want to help i'll be in the clubhouse before the match during & after, that would be great

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 26-02-2008, 17:31   #19
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Stanleymad media savvy hehehee

Yorkshire Evening Post editor has just spoken with me & are doing a little piece on our support as im collecting signatures & if any of OSC or fans want to help i'll be in the clubhouse before the match during & after, that would be great
Sky Sports News are waiting for you next Mel

Best of luck at tonights game v Brentford, hope Stanley get a much deserved win, will pop over to a game soon when maybe we can all have a drink (or two!)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 22:50   #20
God Member

As so far i gather a bit over 2 pages of signatures were collected from tonights match for support of the campaign, Rob Heys has given his support on behalf of the club & will put something on the fishy site.

Many thanks everyone whom pledged support so far

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-02-2008, 09:07   #21
Junior Member+

Yorkshire Evening Post on-line article regarding the support of Accrington Stanley which will also be published in tonights YEP Newspaper Edition

A Lancashire hotspot in fight for Les - Yorkshire Evening Post
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 11:41   #22
Resting in Peace

I'm sure I remember Les sprinting onto the Peel Park pitch with his magic sponge when a player needed attention. He was known as the fastest trainer in the football league at that time.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:40   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I'm sure I remember Les sprinting onto the Peel Park pitch with his magic sponge when a player needed attention. He was known as the fastest trainer in the football league at that time.
I can't remember Les Cocker sprinting onto the pitch with his magic sponge, but I can remember him playing for Stanley
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:56   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I can't remember Les Cocker sprinting onto the pitch with his magic sponge, but I can remember him playing for Stanley
same as Jeff remember Les playing, but not as the "magic sponge" man, though that could well be senility setting in.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:05   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
same as Jeff remember Les playing, but not as the "magic sponge" man, though that could well be senility setting in.
Probably my senility then, but I definitely remember him doing it at one or other of our local clubs.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:44   #26
Resting In Peace

I think Harry Hubbick was the trainer and magic sponge man. According to this Les went to Luton as trainer
http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.c...accrington.htm
Old 28-02-2008, 14:44   #27
Super Moderator

You memory isn't playing you up, Redraine. He was assistant trainer during his last two years at Stanley, from 57-59.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:46   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You memory isn't playing you up, Redraine. He was assistant trainer during his last two years at Stanley, from 57-59.
Even if he was assistant trainer, I still think he would be playing rather than running on with the magic sponge.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:55   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Even if he was assistant trainer, I still think he would be playing rather than running on with the magic sponge.
Apparently not. Just checked on Greger Lindberg's site and he actually retired as a player in May '57, re-registering for just one game in Sept of that year due to an injury crisis.
Old 28-02-2008, 15:14   #30

Les was appointed Stanley's assistant trainer in May 1957, then re-signed as a player in September 1957. He became Luton's assistant trainer in August 1959. (Accrington Stanley: A Complete Record 1894-1962. Mike Jackman & Garth Dykes)
melonhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..