Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2008, 14:23   #1
Junior Member+

Les Cocker 1966 World Cup Medal Campaign

As an ex Stanley Player your Support would be appreciated either by the Yorkshire Evening Post Story and Link or Link to FIFA or both

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Leeds-backroom-stalwart-medal-campaig n.3807916.jp

Here is a standard letter which has been sent to EVERY UK Football Club Forum

1966 Winners Don't Deserve Medals?

Sir Alf Ramsey Les Cocker and Harold Shepherdson our '66 World Cup Winners don’t deserve Medals, sounds ludicrous doesn’t it; what a statement, can you imagine FIFA and the FA saying that? Well not in so many words but they have! We would appreciate your help in resolving this stupidity by emailing the template letters below to the FA, FIFA and any media outlets that you know so we can let them know we are not happy how they are dealing with this matter.

Just to give you some background to this, In 1966 only the 11 Players on the pitch were awarded Medals, therefore a TOTAL of 11 Medals were awarded, Since 1986 The World Cup Winners have been awarded a Total of 45 (yes FORTY FIVE!) Medals with 23 for the Squad and 22 for the Coaching Staff.

In 1966 England won The World Cup with a Squad of 22 Players and 3 Coaches (Sir Alf Ramsey/Les Cocker and Harold Shepherdson). This 'injustice' has been battled on many fronts including input from Politicians at the highest level, yet both The FA and FIFA have refused to award Medals to them, Retrospective Medals will only be awarded on May 28th at Wembley to the 11 Players who didn’t play in the Final.

A couple of years ago Mike Ingham of Radio 5 Live took the battle on and managed to persuade Richard Caborn MP to take on the case, this resulted in Sepp Blatter announcing at the World Cup Draw in November that justice would be done and FA's would be instructed to award 'Retrospective' Winners Medals to all 'Non Playing Squad Members' and in the case where those concerned had died, Medals would be awarded to their Family, all well and good and rightly so, however this is still not the case, for Sir Alf Ramsey Les Cocker and Harold Shepherdson.

So let’s show our support so that they and their families get the medals they deserved by sending off the template below.

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html FIFA.com
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2008, 14:40   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Les Cocker 1966 World Cup Medal Campaign

That's disgraceful. Will definitely be sending them an email in support of your old fella and the others and I hope more Stanley fans will do the same.

Hope you'll be coming across to see "The Club Wouldn't Die" exhibition later in the year!
Old 24-02-2008, 14:41   #3
God Member

Hi wobbly, i did hear but unconfirmed about the medal situ 1966, will mail you direct as i havent before in case it was or wasn't correct.

Please help Wobbly if you can take a few mins, wobbly is a fab fella whom has been helping the exhibition project 'the club that wouldnt die', & hope to do a small section for his dad, Les Cocker, [as i keep telling people about him but in case u dont know], basically Les got his coaching badge paid by Stanley in the 50's, he then went on to assist coaching the 1966 England Squad, whom at that time the only people that got medals were the 11 on the pitch [not like nowadays], he & many others from the staff/team/management from that victorious footy moment are campaigning to also receive medals in recognition for their efforts as well as the 11 who got the originals in 66. Ramsey, Cocker & Shepherdson never got their medals & are fighting for them as deservedly so.

Please if you can help Les & others please follow post 1 for details, Les was a great STANLEY LEGEND & so in memory, he'll also feature as part of our Exhibition.

You can count on my support Wobbly

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 24-02-2008 at 14:43.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 14:47   #4
God Member

Will spread the word as best i can round the ground tues night's game as not all have the tinternet, maybe have a word with tannoy to put word out, is there any other methods to help if theres some that dont have a pc, certainly the fans from your dads generation that do remember him fondly

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 24-02-2008, 14:49   #5
God Member

I would love to support this but I can't get the links to open anything apart from a blank page!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 14:51   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I would love to support this but I can't get the links to open anything apart from a blank page!!
i just sent a pm to a mate saying same, hoping he may know.
Old 24-02-2008, 14:52   #7
God Member

Try mine if not got another link

Leeds backroom stalwart medal campaign - Yorkshire Evening Post

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 24-02-2008, 14:52   #8
God Member

That works hehehehehe

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 24-02-2008, 15:14   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ta stanleymad, wyn just sent it by pm before you, so done n dusted.
Old 24-02-2008, 15:47   #10
God Member

I dont know if the link in that article was correct or not as it was entitled YOUR VIEWS - Council services. But I sent it anyway.
Old 24-02-2008, 16:20   #11
Junior Member+

Thanks for all your support

Campaign is being handle by the Yorkshire Evening Post

Letters and Petitions to be sent to

The Les Cocker Campaign
c/o Shirley Whitehead
Newsdesk
Yorkshire Evening Post
Wellington Street
Leeds
LS1 1RF

Sorry about the faulty Links

Will try again, if the Mods COULD Edit my original post and include these Correct Links it would be appreciated

Yorkshire Evening Post Leeds backroom stalwart medal campaign - Yorkshire Evening Post

FIFA
FIFA.com
Old 24-02-2008, 19:29   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

no probs wobbly,yer dad was one of my favs as a lad, so i managed to get a correct link.
Old 24-02-2008, 21:35   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no probs wobbly,yer dad was one of my favs as a lad, so i managed to get a correct link.
OK cheers, wonder if anyone else watched the Carling Cup Final at Wembley today?

Its 40 years ago since Leeds United won it at Wembley (then The League Cup) in 1968 to become their first Major Trophy beating Arsenal 1-0 with a Terry Cooper goal

I am hoping to be able to lend Dad's 'Medal' (they were Tankards back then) to the forthcoming Stanley Exhibitition, Mel may explain why I state 'hoping' to

Heres a photo of Dad's 'Medal' from that day, in fact drank a beer from it today to celebrate the 40th final since Leeds won it, actual anniversary is on 2nd March

Old 25-02-2008, 09:07   #14
Junior Member+

Latest Story for todays Yorkshire Post, nice to see some Stanley Fans and ex Player support within the 'Comments' link on Story, many thanks!

Support swells for Cocker's '66 efforts - Yorkshire Evening Post

Main Link for the Yorkshire Post Newspaper 'Les Cocker Campaign'

Leeds backroom stalwart medal campaign - Yorkshire Evening Post
Old 25-02-2008, 09:50   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just posted a comment wobbly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..