Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2008, 15:16   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Les Cocker 1966 World Cup Medal Campaign

Thanks, Wynonie. Thought I was losing my marbles for a moment. Is the jury still out? What's the verdict?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2008, 15:30   #32
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Thanks, Wynonie. Thought I was losing my marbles for a moment. Is the jury still out? What's the verdict?
He was Assistant Trainer to Harry Hubbick in his last year at Stanley, I have an original press team Photo somewhere showing this, will have to have a root around and try and find it

We then moved to Luton Town in 1959 or 1960 (horrible place, hated it, I was around 9 at the time) before moving to Leeds United in 1960 or 1961

Harry Hubbick moved to Halifax Town FC after Stanley's closure (1962?) and we used to see Harry quite a lot as Halifax Town FC opened a Golf Driving Range whilst he was still there, reckon this would have been one of the UK's first Golf Driving Ranges and golf balls used to be rattling all around the grandstands!
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:56   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Even if he was assistant trainer, I still think he would be playing rather than running on with the magic sponge.
Harry Hubbick was born in 1915. he would hardly have been known as the fastest trainer in the FL in the late 50's!
I rest my case.
Old 28-02-2008, 16:05   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Harry Hubbick was born in 1915. he would hardly have been known as the fastest trainer in the FL in the late 50's!
I rest my case.
Who said that Harry Hubbick was known as the fastest trainer in the FL in the late 50's. All I said was that Harry Hubbick was the trainer and magic sponge man. Never mind resting your case.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 17:36   #35
Super Moderator

Just consulted my well-thumbed copy of Jackman & Dykes. After he was appointed as Stanley's assistant trainer in May, 1957, Les made just one appearance as a player (an away match at Chester in September of that year), right up to his departure for Luton in August 1959. So, in his last two years at Stanley he was, in fact, a full-time trainer.
Old 28-02-2008, 17:43   #36
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Just consulted my well-thumbed copy of Jackman & Dykes. After he was appointed as Stanley's assistant trainer in May, 1957, Les made just one appearance as a player (an away match at Chester in September of that year), right up to his departure for Luton in August 1959. So, in his last two years at Stanley he was, in fact, a full-time trainer.
Sounds about right as he took his Final Part 3 of The FA Pro Coaching Licence in summer of 1957 at Lilleshall, we did move to Luton in 1959 and then to Leeds in summer of 1960, so its almost 50 years since I last watched Stanley play as an 8 year old, need to rectify that soon!

Where do all the years go!
Old 28-02-2008, 18:51   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Who said that Harry Hubbick was known as the fastest trainer in the FL in the late 50's. All I said was that Harry Hubbick was the trainer and magic sponge man. Never mind resting your case.
Well it must have been one of 'em, and it can't have been Harry at his age!
Q.E.D.
Old 28-02-2008, 19:10   #38
God Member

anybody else who wishes to sign the petition will be able to do so at the next home match. OSC will be collecting names from the Oaklea, Crown and clubhouse and then th ebottom of the Crown steps after the game. Please lookout for anyone with a clipboard.
Old 28-02-2008, 19:54   #39
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
anybody else who wishes to sign the petition will be able to do so at the next home match. OSC will be collecting names from the Oaklea, Crown and clubhouse and then th ebottom of the Crown steps after the game. Please lookout for anyone with a clipboard.
Many thanks for all your support, it really is appreciated!
Old 28-02-2008, 23:12   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Many thanks for all your support, it really is appreciated!
we daren't not, our mel is flippin scarey you know you do as your told.

only joking, it is a worthy subject for a petition

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 17:47   #41
God Member

The club have given their full support details now on fishy site

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 21:44   #42
Junior Member+

Interview on Yorkshire Radio, Part 1 and Part 2 (for some reason Part 1 is at bottom)

My Lancs accent has all but gone now

lufcsteve's Share Page
Old 15-05-2009, 23:07   #43
God Member

Looks like a positive outcome on this one

United's Les Cocker set to receive 1966 medal - Yorkshire Evening Post
Old 15-05-2009, 23:16   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Splendid News, not before time, at least les remaining relatives have a bit more to be proud of.
Old 16-05-2009, 09:07   #45
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. Really oh yesss, i never got a reply from the FA to the letter i sent last yr on behalf of asfc & the supporters club with all of the sigs of several pages of our petition seperate to yorks post one. I did wonder if any conclusion would come of it, im so pleased to of been able to help. David, need ya to pm email me re yr dads stuff - safe & well.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..