Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2010, 23:06   #61
God Member

Re: Macc v Stanley Matchday Thread

another point to safety
Old 14-02-2010, 00:09   #62
Full Member+

Having read all the reports from those who were actually at the game, those reports only confirm a little of what I've suspected for the last couple of weeks.....

Obviously without being at the game today, I'm relying on what those reporting what they saw at Macc to be a true reflection.....

In my opinion....

Fatigue may be taking it's toll, and Symes didn't look at his sharpest against the Shrimps last Sat... As for Miles, I've never been his greatest fan, however his performance against Morecambe last week was Abject to say the least....To give him the captain's armband last week was a strange decision, as I think there are more obvious candidates for that role ( when Proccy is absent ) and it's been blatently obvious since day one, that whilst Miles has undoubted ability (at times ) his work ethic sadly lacks.

Macc away will probably " seem like a defeat " as, in the bigger picture, in order to get into play offs and compete at the upper echelons of League Two, games like this are " must win ".

That said, what a contrast to the last couple of years where the "must win " element in this fixture has been for a totally different reason !!! We've still 20 games to play and an awful lot of the next 10 at home, so personally I'd take any sort of positive result away and hope that we can make the home games count.

Personal opinion, I'd give Symes a rest, placing him on the bench at Lincoln and give Billy Kee a starting berth, I'd also drop Miles & give Turner a run ( if fully fit ).

Here's hoping for three points at Lincoln on Tuesday !!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 14-02-2010 at 00:11. Reason: typo
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:21   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAggro View Post
Dull game really, symes never turned up, he may be tired or whatever and could do wiv a rest. I have never rated mcconville personally and turner proved in 20 second half minutes today hes a lot more worth a startin place than he is...
I wish he had got 20 minutes - he only came on in the 83rd. Both subs should have been made at half time as we were short up front in the first half. BBC's summary seems to suggest they battered us. Not from where I was sitting.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:48   #64
God Member

Maybe Michael has had his head turned with the transfer speculation?

But as a forward you have to have service to thrive off

Milesy gives the impression of a plodder but to be fair he does have the tricks in his locker to unlock defences and produce moments of magic, I get the impression and I maybe wrong that he is a confidence player?

I think Milesy would be better playing wide on the left wih Chris T on the right which would give genuine width, pace to go at defenders which no defender likes and an abilty to overlap with full backs as well as help tracking back and gives the option of swapping them over on the flanks to mix it up.

When you are getting results it is possibly easier to stick with a winning combination, the tough part is when results don't is to shuffle the pack and get it right.

The results we have had this season have been far beyond most people's expectations but I suppose there could be the part of the answer as expectations rise on the pitch so they do off the pitch.

I still believe the Club have the players to turn the corner and at least get in the Play-Off mix but it needs nipping in the bud the way the fixtures are coming which is thick & fast a blip can become a slide or as we found out a winning run takes you right back up into the mix.

On Stanley On

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 14-02-2010 at 07:51.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 08:19   #65
Resting in Peace

The trouble with Miles on the left is that he is 110%(!) predictable and turns inside EVERY time he gets the ball. Drove me nuts at the Morecambe game at one point with our players sprinting into the box and crying out for a ball to be cut back from the byline. Of course he came inside where 3 defenders snuffed him out and we were left open to the counter attack. He'll give me a heart attack one of these days.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:18   #66
God Member

Smile Re: Macc v Stanley Matchday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post

... As for Miles, I've never been his greatest fan, however his performance against Morecambe last week was Abject to say the least....To give him the captain's armband last week was a strange decision, as I think there are more obvious candidates for that role ( when Proccy is absent ) and it's been blatently obvious since day one, that whilst Miles has undoubted ability (at times ) his work ethic sadly lacks. .....

Here's hoping for three points at Lincoln on Tuesday !!!!
I would say that is because he is Vice Captain matey!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:24   #67
God Member

Smile Re: Macc v Stanley Matchday Thread

From Official site, another nice little move in the right direction

Match Reaction.

Sunday 14th Feb 2010.

Boss unhappy with point at Moss Rose.

John Coleman admitted he was disappointed after Stanley drew 0-0 at Macclesfield.

“It’s a couple of points dropped.” said the boss “In the end we’ve nicked a point because they’ve made a couple of chances and forced the game in the last 15 minutes. In the first half an hour they didn’t go near our goal and if you don’t cash in when you’re on top you sometimes pay the price and I think we did today.”

Full Story Here >>
http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/index.php/newsy/3191

Old 14-02-2010, 10:06   #68

McConville is rubbish, every now and again I see glimpses of what he could be but he doesnt seem to be filling that potential. Turner is a winger, and a good en at that, I think hes just lacking of match fitness at the mo but I think a start at lincoln would be apt. Turner did more in 3mins than sean did all game. I saw him out last night and had a little chat, the guy loves accy, he was telling me how much he appreciated us lot singing his little song

Symes looked awfully tired but to be fair to him this is the first season hes played so many games consecutively so its understandable. Resting him might be good to revitalise for that last playoff push.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:14   #69
Senior Member+

Although we all hope for a push to the play offs, this year we may just have to settle for NOT having a relegation scrap

Thats progress folks

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:29   #70
God Member

Exclamation Re: Macc v Stanley Matchday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Although we all hope for a push to the play offs, this year we may just have to settle for NOT having a relegation scrap

Thats progress folks
With statements like that, it is no wonder that the police chappie told me to "Go away, whilst I speak to the adult!!!???"

Very true statement that - the one about relegation, that is!!!!

On the subject of Stewards and officials, I thought that it was OK yesterday, no hassle

Old 14-02-2010, 10:52   #71
Senior Member+

Id have to agree about Turner & Mcconville.

Maybe Turner is not quite 100% match fit yet, if not then give him at least the last 30 mins against Lincoln if its needed and slowly building back up to starting fitness level.

Sean Mc seems to have the odd flash of brilliance but seems to be lacking alot most of the time. Maybe hes 1 to look at in the future and could come good later (ie Bobby Grant).

Only problem we seem to have in my opinion is that we only have 3 natural wide players in the squad ( Miles, Mcconville & Turner) and unfortunately 2 of those are not good enough.

On a more positive note the rest of the side looks easily good enough for a playoff push
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:57   #72
God Member

Quote:

Thats progress folks
I agree it is very much progress

But the door has now opened and the football world outside Accy know us for our footballing prowess, rather than a flipping milk advert or lurching from one Google Page Ranking disater to the next.

As shown with Players and the Management being linked elsewhere this season, to safeguard against that the play-offs at least could prove to be a blessing in disguise?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 14-02-2010 at 11:00.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 11:23   #73

quote from a macc fan:
As a result, it was very painful to hear the Accrington fans (on form as ever yesterday) chanting about us having sh1t support at the end.

You think he went to bed weeping?
Old 14-02-2010, 12:23   #74
Senior Member+

Always rated Turner since he played last season, thought he gives great supply down the wing, always runs at defenders and always has good balls to cross in, sean Mc is one for the furture, surely Turner got to be pushing for a starting place next few games. He was quallity last season.

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 13:03   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:

Thats progress folks
Keep the faith WM ...

If we win 29-0 on Tuesday, and Hereford and Morecambe do us a couple of favours, we'll be in a play-off position for 24 hours at least ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..