Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42   #31
Senior Member+

Re: multi-media digital display

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post

You have absolutely no evidence to support your horrible accusation that there is a loss of community feeling
Further to my previous post, I think there is evidence of the loss of community feeling. That evidence is in the thread about the development at the Clayton End - and elsewhere. How does it contribute to community feeling when so many announcements about the club are made via twitter?
cashman likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2016, 14:30   #32
Senior Member+

Not sure what sharing info on Twitter has to do with losing community spirit?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:48   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Not sure what sharing info on Twitter has to do with losing community spirit?
Not hard, many people dont use titter, the fishy site is the obvious place for any announcements, thought even you would twig that.
Old 10-10-2016, 15:40   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
But a specific question for you. From your exalted (but entirely mythical) position as fans' liaison officer, can you tell us if there have been any changes in the board of directors?
Actually, DAV, you have earned quite a reputation for not answering questions. So I hardly expected you to answer that one. But because I am kind, I'll supply the answer.

Two years ago, the board of directors was thus:

Directors: Phillip Carruthers, Anthony Christofis, Joe Cirino, Prof John Glasson, Geoff Heap, Robert Heys (managing director), Bill Holden, Robert Houseman (operations director), Jim Kenyon, David Lloyd, Peter Marsden (chairman), Demetrakis Nicou, John Norris, Alan Pickup (associate director), Oliver Sanker, Peter Shaw (vice chairman)

The present board of directors is:

Directors: Andy Holt, David Burgess, Tom O’Neill, Virginia Hargreaves

You want more evidence of the loss of community feeling, DAV? Did you see the walking footballers at half time during the Mansfield game? The club has 3 official photographers, but I have yet to see any photographs of that community event that were taken by any of those 3.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 10-10-2016, 18:09   #35
Senior Member+

Haha haha

Because the club has a more streamline board of directors in keeping with 99% of other clubs it has somehow lost its community connection??

You are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:12   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well we lost the fans director, but that obviously dont count to the illiterate.with NO explanation as to why. You pretending yer a fans rep is pathetic imho
Old 10-10-2016, 20:54   #37

A few years ago I bought a big screen for the house. Community spirit was lost immediately as Er Indoors insisted it went straight back to the shop.

So I'd welcome a big screen. Bigger the better.

Holt has already done a lot of the priority jobs: pitch, seats, fanzone, ticketing system, big squad. I'd not begrudge him spending his money on a big screen next.

Not sure why there needs to be a better web site. Everything is there on Twitter. It's free and easy to use and you get a hotline to Messrs burgess and holt there. A billion times better than a boring old web site.
DAV007 likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:10   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
A few years ago I bought a big screen for the house. Community spirit was lost immediately as Er Indoors insisted it went straight back to the shop.

So I'd welcome a big screen. Bigger the better.

Holt has already done a lot of the priority jobs: pitch, seats, fanzone, ticketing system, big squad. I'd not begrudge him spending his money on a big screen next.

Not sure why there needs to be a better web site. Everything is there on Twitter. It's free and easy to use and you get a hotline to Messrs burgess and holt there. A billion times better than a boring old web site.
Its simple,many will not use twitter, cos anyone can put any old crap on, thats why info should always be put on the fishy.
Old 10-10-2016, 21:38   #39

"Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called "tweets"

Surely for short, snappy communication not detailed information.

As I understand it the aim is for the OASSC to raise the money for the multi-media digital display not for Andy to foot the cost.
AccyMad likes this.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:58   #40

Even when it comes from ASFCOfficial, burgess and Holt? That's pretty much straight from the horses mouth. They post all the stuff that goes on the website anyway.

With the added attraction of watching Mr Gornell's spat with the Cheltenham fans unfold and whatever else titilates.

I agree that Twitter is a bit weird - especially at first. I rarely post anything since I can't pack enough bull**** into one small tweet. But it is very good for gauging public opinion and I think it works really well for disseminating football club goings on. A web site has its place - but more as an occasional point of reference.
Old 10-10-2016, 21:59   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Spot on, Lord D. Well, almost. "Everything is there on Twitter" - not quite everything. It offers device-to-device contact - for those who opt in. It does not offer face-to-face contact, the friendly smile, the handshake. I suspect that you are correct - and that Twitter is the new community that some people crave. Sorry but it's not for me.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:50   #42

I'd beg to differ on that. Away at Notts County I discovered, via Twitter, there was a group of Stanley fans at the other end of the train. I wandered down and indeed gave them a handshake and friendly smile. Chatted to them at half time and walked back to the station with them.

You wouldn't get that on website.

After the Wimbledon game, Fosu came across and shook my hand - having previously conversed with him on Twitter. (A long story).

Twitter isn't really for me in the way it is for enthusiastic users. They have thousands of mates and I have about six. But I don't see the difference in opening Twitter and getting direct and very recent Stanley info rather (and being able to interact if you want) versus opening a web browser and looking at the web site. It's just an app with stuff typed on the screen.

On the otherhand, I would agree that something like information about how to buy season tickets or coach travel, the fixture list etc should be on the web site.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not hard, many people dont use titter, the fishy site is the obvious place for any announcements, thought even you would twig that.
correct on both counts. That's why announcements ARE made on the website, in addition to Twitter, in addition to Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its simple,many will not use twitter, cos anyone can put any old crap on, thats why info should always be put on the fishy.
Not correct. Anybody can put any old crap on THEIR OWN profile just like they currently do on this forum. Twitter is a dumbed down version of forums.

Just like Lord Didsbury, I am not a fan of twitter as it is unameniable to decasyllabic warblings.

But, to the old farts such as Cashman (yer own words) here is how it works;

Andy Holt wants to gossip, or share an update of works, or share an aerial view of the ground that someone has done with a drone, etc etc

"look at this" he tweets ... (max 140 characters)

That then goes out to everyone who has 'followed' him (currently 1335 people)

1335 people see that tweet, and if there is something likeable they will retweet it to all their followers ... so @asfcofficial then forwards the message to 40,000 followers, @officialassc forwards it to 316 followers, @murraydawsonSDA forwards it to 718 followers, @RobRuss forwards it 21 followers etc etc

In theory it is the fastest way of getting information around a large group of people.

Here's how a website works

The silver haired surfer has to want to take a look at a particular website, he/she either clicks the bookmark on their device, or manually types in some stuff. He/she arrives at said website and then navigates their way around looking for something new to crop up. Having already checked the website this morning I'll not be doing so again today.

In all honesty I rarely check the website at all anymore. I go on to find the matchday commentary and sometimes have a quick shufty around whilst there. Other than that I only check in when something on twitter or facebook prompts me to click the link and check out the full story.

So in short, Twitter or facebook has now become the digital age billboard directing you to the newspaper - or website.
baldy, Chimer, odders and 1 others like this.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31   #44
God Member

Obviously there's a place/need/demand - whatever you want to call it for Twitter & Facebook, but there's also a need for information to be got out there to whoever needs to know - I must be one of the 'old farts' Rob cos I've not yet got into twittering - & I like to be kept informed from the fishy site as much as possible.
Even that sometimes isn't enough as per the reduced price structure for Saturday's game - some stuff needs to be put out into the local press/radio for those who have no interweb access at all - imho there can never be too many avenues for that info to make sure it gets to as many folk as possible
Revived Red and sherry like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:37   #45
God Member

its ideal for titbits Diane.

The website would look daft if it carried a story such as "drawing up plans today" then followed it up with "plans put in folder and on their way to planning", and then "ooh planning looking at our scribbles now"

There aren't enough characters available on twitter to flesh anything out at all, but you can put a bit of sauce onto any old story.

The website also needs someone with the necessary nous to put the story on, twitter can be done by anyone, on any device, whilst sat on the bog

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..