Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2004, 18:59   #1

Paul Mullin

We all know and appreciate Paul's workrate as a target man. Being southern based I only see him now and again and know his ability at headers and tap-ins. I don't recall seeing Paul actually shooting and was a bit bothered at Farnboro when that seemed the obvious course but Paul chose not to. Can you wise and regular watchers tell me if my worries are unfounded or if this aspect of his game needs some work ?
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2004, 19:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Paul Mullin

How many goals has he scored for us?

Does that answer your question?
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 19:55   #3
Senior Member+

Legend .....................................

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2004, 09:53   #4

He is a great target man!..........but you can not play a target man as a lone striker, this is exposing his limitations.
Old 26-10-2004, 11:52   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin
He is a great target man!..........but you can not play a target man as a lone striker, this is exposing his limitations.

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2004, 14:45   #6
I am Banned

i agree longlostson and redskin, he's more of a ruud van nistelrooy player (who has NEVER scored from outsiode the area for united) but mullin is a great player and cannot be dropped, not that you were implying that lls.
accystankev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2004, 18:03   #7

He is and always will be a accy legend

But he (like a pupet!!!) cannot perform by himself

hehehehe
Old 26-10-2004, 18:51   #8

Smile Re: Paul Mullin

No, Smiffy, it doesn't answer what was NOT a loaded question , nor a criticism - but simply seeking insight to the event that bothered me down at Farnborough. I don't get to many games and readily accept that I could have a totally wrong impression.

From the system we play ( down south here at least ), Paul has to spend most of his time facing our goal anyway so tap-ins and headers are going to feature large in his tally. I just don't want to get my hopes up if Paul gets a ball a distance out facing goal if shooting is not a strength - but then hopefully team mates can look to attack the 'hole' Paul created by drifting instead of shooting.

On a general note, I wish the lads would volunteer to have some sort of private minor financial penalty fun league among themselves ( or even muppet of the month award ) for shots that are outside of the goalframe. Aiming for the extremes ain't playing the percentages and I bet Mullers would be rampant on blocked loose ball. Just my opinion of course ! Keep smiling.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 03:30   #9
I am Banned

I think LongLostSon has analysed it pretty well.

It's no good just saying "Mully's ace" , "Look at his record" or any such. It must surely be agreed that shooting is not his strong suit, and that he gets his goals by being up front for such a high percentage of the game as a result of the current managerial strategy, picking up the rebounds as well as winning the odd high ball into the area.

I'm sure that he's capable of much more.

Paul Mullin is an exceptional football player who possesses remarkable stamina, determination and the ability to read a situation in an instant. He is , however , susceptible to being caught offside because of the "Route 1" policy.

Our good friend Jeff is known for his oft repeated claim that Stanley would be a great side "if we had a defence". My own mantra would be that Stanley would score a lot more goals if we had wingers who were allowed to play as wingers.

Remember, if you get that ball to the bye line and return it into the penalty area there is zero possibility of being offside . . and the bonus is a fantastic "closing speed" between the attacking forward and the returning ball. Also, with this type of play, it is not as important that our forwards should match the height of the opposing defenders - in fact those big guys would probably not be able to respond in a sufficiently agile manner to this strategy.

I apologise if this is a case of stating the obvious, but apparently it's not obvious enough to some. Thanks to all who have agreed that Dean Calcutt (fully fit and de-herniad) would be a great asset to Stanley at this time . . . with Mullin and James in the middle, dare I say ?

No criticism of our management team is intended, but fair comment most certainly is.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..