Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2013, 08:52   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Au-revoir Oxford Thread !!.

Oxford did play well, We just never turned up fact. Potter was tricky, thankfully his final ball was crap most of the afternoon.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:32   #32
Senior Member+

Most of our first and final balls were crap as well
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:37   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Cos we never turned up. Which all those 200-300 extra walk ons yesterday will probably not be keen to return.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:00   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Cos we never turned up. Which all those 200-300 extra walk ons yesterday will probably not be keen to return.
Agreed, although I would say there were more "casual" fans on than that. With the usual 1,000-1,100 diehards, plus possibly 300 from Oxford, I'd put it at 600-700. That's 600-700 who aren't committed fans but who might be thinking about coming next season or even giving a season ticket a whirl at the new, reduced prices. So this was exactly the sort of shop window match where we should have been at the top of our game, playing the sort of football that would bring people back. We failed miserably on that score.
caretaker and Greeny like this.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:08   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
And, as we said '19'..as someone remarked that Romauld the Prince of Benin had produced a quieter game than we have come to expect...this was due to an absolutely faultless and classy performance from Oxford's Left side Defender...great tackles ( all clean and fair !)...great distribution...and by far my MOM !!.
Yes it was lacklustre and would have disappointed a newcomer to the Storefirst Stadium expecting a fiery finish to the season. Yet somehow I enjoyed just being there as usual, and smiling at the efforts of the 'get it up t'field' lads in the main Stand who will just never learn !!.
Finally, Alfred.E. reminded me, in one of my few lucid moments late last night, that I should forget ever taking on the role of Thread-starter again !!..as whatever junk I scribble in this capacity alsays seems to hang a very large albatross around the necks of The Reds, making their task an uphill one before they start !!....SO ??????.

Au revoir all !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 10:31   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post

Yes it was lacklustre and would have disappointed a newcomer to the Storefirst Stadium expecting a fiery finish to the season. Yet somehow I enjoyed just being there as usual,
I also enjoyed just being yon, as i usually do,But having a long memory,as you do mate, I remember a time when 3000 plus was not enough to sustain league football!! So therefore to me attracting more to the crown should be "NUMBER 1" Priority?? On the field alone will not sustain a league club.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 28-04-2013, 11:25   #37
Senior Member+

Yonmon,thats why you always get a balanced view in the main stand,in my left ear you get the "get it lumped up field" and in my right ear "get it down and pass it" !!!,quality entertainment
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 11:56   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
I also enjoyed just being yon, as i usually do,But having a long memory,as you do mate, I remember a time when 3000 plus was not enough to sustain league football!! So therefore to me attracting more to the crown should be "NUMBER 1" Priority?? On the field alone will not sustain a league club.
Agreed and now the club have taken the gamble of reducing prices, we'll have to get hundreds more on the gate regularly just to bring in the same income as we're getting now. So it's not just desirable to boost crowds, it's essential. Yesterday was a good opportunity to show Accringtonians what they're missing. Quite a few will have gone home thinking they're missing nowt.
cashman, yonmon and caretaker like this.
Old 28-04-2013, 13:11   #39
Senior Member+

I thought we were ok in the first half; the problems seemed to arise in the second half.

Some specific comments. I know that young Dawber has his admirers but his 45-minute cameo gave me cause for concern. I thought it was a certain penalty when he brought down the Oxford player - a poor decision by the referee. I feel it is essential that Dawber is loaned out to get some match practice at the start of next season.

I agree that the very public exchange of views between Jeffers and Moly was not particularly edifying. I am sure that Jeffers was telling Moly not to be so selfish and he was right to do so.

A word about Michael Liddle. Yes, he found the winger a real handful yesterday - just as many full backs would have done. But he stuck to his task and when the opportunity arose his distribution was ok. To put him in the same category as Peter Murphy seems unfair when Murphy's distribution was as woeful yesterday as it has been all season.

Finally a word or two about Tom Aldred. I think he has been magnificent. I don't know if he has had a yellow card this season; if so, it can't be many. When I think about the number of cards and suspensions picked up by our centre backs in recent years (Hessey, Murdock, Kempson, even the mighty 'Sunbeds', and of course not forgetting Toto), then Aldred's achievement is all the greater and especially so in his partnership with Deano.
Redraine and yonmon like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:22   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:

I wouldent agree totally with that.

The two people I brought yesterday have just ordered season tickets off the back of it.

ALL of them would have known yesterday was meaningless and they would have been impressed with the atmosphere if nothing else.
cashman and smobile like this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:26   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thats great to hear, but do yeh honestly think that display will encourage the majority of walk ons? cos i don't.
Old 28-04-2013, 13:31   #42
Senior Member+

Not in terms of the display.... No.

BUT with the state Rovers are in, many football fans in the area are looking for an alternative. The two I brought yesterday said exactly that.

We have a great friendly little club, with a good atmosphere and now with reasonable prices to attract the casual fan.

I firmly believe the performance yesterday will only influence a small percentage.
Revived Red likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:36   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Can go wi that, Me Barber is rovers fan n well brassed off, Me mate that comes wi me is a big mate of his n is gonna work on him.
smobile likes this.
Old 28-04-2013, 13:36   #44
Super Moderator

I sincerely hope you're right, Smudgie!
Old 28-04-2013, 13:50   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I thought we were ok in the first half; the problems seemed to arise in the second half.

Some specific comments. I know that young Dawber has his admirers but his 45-minute cameo gave me cause for concern. I thought it was a certain penalty when he brought down the Oxford player - a poor decision by the referee. I feel it is essential that Dawber is loaned out to get some match practice at the start of next season.

I agree that the very public exchange of views between Jeffers and Moly was not particularly edifying. I am sure that Jeffers was telling Moly not to be so selfish and he was right to do so.

A word about Michael Liddle. Yes, he found the winger a real handful yesterday - just as many full backs would have done. But he stuck to his task and when the opportunity arose his distribution was ok. To put him in the same category as Peter Murphy seems unfair when Murphy's distribution was as woeful yesterday as it has been all season.

Finally a word or two about Tom Aldred. I think he has been magnificent. I don't know if he has had a yellow card this season; if so, it can't be many. When I think about the number of cards and suspensions picked up by our centre backs in recent years (Hessey, Murdock, Kempson, even the mighty 'Sunbeds', and of course not forgetting Toto), then Aldred's achievement is all the greater and especially so in his partnership with Deano.
Tom Aldred is awesome

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..