Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2023, 10:47   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The (early) Mansfield thread.

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1274334]My good friend, I feel you are a tad hash

Shaun Whalley - as always - gave 100% and never stopped running.

Jack Nolan was OK.

Seamus, was Seamus

Coyle had an off day - to say the least....

Do not know what has happened to Tommy.......

I repeat Joe !,
Midfield... i wonder if we will ever see any semblance of a desire to attack the opposing defence from them and , wait for it , actually shoot a ball at goal ?.

"Unfit for purpose ". comes to.mind ?

Remember Sir Bobby Robsons paradigm ?... No Goals = No Wins = Relegation !.
Without a better 'Engine Room' the Reds WILL suffer I'm afraid .
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2023, 11:29   #47
God Member

Did anybody else think that Whalley should have had a penalty midway through the second half???

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 12:08   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Did anybody else think that Whalley should have had a penalty midway through the second half???
Yes, but that’s clutching at straws, Val.
My frustrations with the way Stanley play, or are told to play, include that the ‘wing’ players rarely seem to receive the ball unless they are on the half-way line and invariably facing their own goal.
For a text book lesson in an alternative and effective way of playing down the wing, running into the space behind a defence, check out Mansfield’s second goal on iFollow or here…

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...two-highlights

Also, Mansfield’s third goal came about because no outfield player made themselves available for a pass from Hills or Mellor, so it was left to Savin to clear it in panic.

As the great man himself once said “ “Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 12:18   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

everybody around us.we played well for approx 25 mins the rest of the game rubbish.

Last edited by cashman; 10-09-2023 at 12:22.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 13:04   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Yes, but that’s clutching at straws, Val.
My frustrations with the way Stanley play, or are told to play, include that the ‘wing’ players rarely seem to receive the ball unless they are on the half-way line and invariably facing their own goal.
For a text book lesson in an alternative and effective way of playing down the wing, running into the space behind a defence, check out Mansfield’s second goal on iFollow or here…

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...two-highlights

Also, Mansfield’s third goal came about because no outfield player made themselves available for a pass from Hills or Mellor, so it was left to Savin to clear it in panic.

As the great man himself once said “ “Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”
Straw clutching maybe Exile, but if we got and scored a penalty, it is a different game at 1-2

Not pointing any fingers - at a young lad especially - but at 0-0, Josh had a good chance with a header - it went wide, that goes in and we take the lead, again a different game

I understand fully, if, if, if, but it does have a bearing on things...

J.R.B. was booked early - and correctly, I thought.

The lad who scored the 'wonder goal' made a much more aggressive, two footed attempt - missed our lad thankfully, nothing at all was done!!!

J.R.B. was targeted from that card on, throughout the game.

Some say good game management, some say cheating?!?!?!

There is not a person on this planet who can convince me that 3-0 was a true reflection of yesterday

AccyMad and choirboy like this.

Old 10-09-2023, 13:50   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:

Absolutely agree Val. It was 100% a penalty and at 2-0, we convert the penalty and Stanley would be in the ascendancy and pressing for an equaliser! Totally inept refereeing! If it wasn’t a penalty in the referee’s opinion why did he not yellow card Shaun for simulation? We noted lots of other inconsistencies in the referee’s performance yesterday too. However, poor refereeing does not explain some poor decision making from Stanley at key moments, ie …the goals! For the over head kick goal, Savin, Coyle and Seamus all stood off which gave their lad the time to set himself up. Poor decision by Savin to kick out with his left foot for the third ‘wonder’ goal! Savin had previously botched a couple of attempted left foot clearances earlier in the match. I think that playing Seamus and Coyle together in deep midfield leaves us short of creativity going forward. I was somewhat disappointed with Tommy yesterday and perhaps a fully fit Joe Pritchard could help both Tommy and our creativity going forward. For most of the match we seemed to be playing against twelve men though!
KEEP THE FAITH
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 13:50   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Well I sit near Andy Holt and he certainly didn't look happy yesterday 7 games gone 10 points into negative goal difference already anywhere else after last season and if after 3 more games this season if there isn't any sign of improvement even the seemingly unsackable duo must be ready to face the consequences nobody his bigger than the club and I,m not saying a new face will turn it around but I,m beginning to fear the worse.
It's not lack of ambition it's the I,m not spending anymore money on the club and really I want out is what is glaringly apparent to me.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 13:54   #53
God Member

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1274348]Straw clutching maybe Exile, but if we got and scored a penalty, it is a different game at 1-2

Not pointing any fingers - at a young lad especially - but at 0-0, Josh had a good chance with a header - it went wide, that goes in and we take the lead, again a different game

I understand fully, if, if, if, but it does have a bearing on things...

J.R.B. was booked early - and correctly, I thought.

The lad who scored the 'wonder goal' made a much more aggressive, two footed attempt - missed our lad thankfully, nothing at all was done!!!

J.R.B. was targeted from that card on, throughout the game.

Some say good game management, some say cheating?!?!?!

There is not a person on this planet who can convince me that 3-0 was a true reflection of yesterday

Your right it could have been 4 or 5.
Old 10-09-2023, 13:59   #54
God Member

From yesterday,s game stats shots on target Stanley 2 Mansfield 5 for a home side 2 on target is abysmal 5 and to score 3 for an away side is good clinical finishing referees good bad or indifferent dictate your shots on target apart from penalties.
Old 10-09-2023, 15:38   #55
Full Member+

I totally agree with the comments about the standard of refereeing but there is very little we can do to alter it. I also remember complaining about the refs during the season we were promoted, so even if the refs are against us we have been able to win games in the past.
Exile on Spencer St and andyd like this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 16:28   #56
Senior Member+

Not to mention Mansfield fans throwing a second ball onto the pitch in the first half...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 17:10   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Not to mention Mansfield fans throwing a second ball onto the pitch in the first half...
Same as last week Mike, becoming a theme now that we have the 'multi ball' system in place...

Old 10-09-2023, 18:32   #58
God Member

Quote:
Same as last week Mike, becoming a theme now that we have the 'multi ball' system in place...
And no-one in the Ivory Towers of Football Admin couldn’t foresee that happening.
But, heh, if the officials just ignore a spare ball lying in the six yard box, what’s the problem!
Bring back ball boys and girls.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:22   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Mike A and all

You'll be please to hear that this culpret was ejected by the stewards for his actions
MikeA and pifco like this.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:39   #60
Senior Member+

Wink Re: The (early) Mansfield thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Absolutely agree Val. It was 100% a penalty and at 2-0, we convert the penalty and Stanley would be in the ascendancy and pressing for an equaliser! Totally inept refereeing! If it wasn’t a penalty in the referee’s opinion why did he not yellow card Shaun for simulation? We noted lots of other inconsistencies in the referee’s performance yesterday too. However, poor refereeing does not explain some poor decision making from Stanley at key moments, ie …the goals! For the over head kick goal, Savin, Coyle and Seamus all stood off which gave their lad the time to set himself up. Poor decision by Savin to kick out with his left foot for the third ‘wonder’ goal! Savin had previously botched a couple of attempted left foot clearances earlier in the match. I think that playing Seamus and Coyle together in deep midfield leaves us short of creativity going forward. I was somewhat disappointed with Tommy yesterday and perhaps a fully fit Joe Pritchard could help both Tommy and our creativity going forward. For most of the match we seemed to be playing against twelve men though!
KEEP THE FAITH
ON STANLEY ON
Bob !.. *

Have you noticed that this thread is almost a facsimile of those which we used to label
" IF " notices in the early days of our Forum ?.
'If' Josh's header had gone in the Goal !
' If' the Referee knew what he was supposed to be doing ?..and had he allowed Shaun's trip/fall/ foul and awarded a penalty !.
' If' the Substitutions at 97 minutes + had, questioning the Mangers strategic nouse,
been made earlier ?.
'If' Stanley had scored 4 goals ?
And, I noticed, an ' If ' from me !.' If Stanley just had a midfield which might go forward for once and then create just one chance in a game '?

Then one wouldn't need to think something which we might think is unthinkable !.."IF the Management Team don't create a situation soon which will allow the Reds to play some football ,then their seemingly well-protected tenure might well become a thing of the past ?"....
" IF" my meandering is seen as harsh and unfeeling towards our team, then put it down to
another trip through my dotage !. All I ask for is something better from the Club which I
have watched, followed , and admired for so long .

See you around Bob.. Keep singing !
choirboy likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..