Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2023, 09:08   #31

Re: The Fleetwood game

By the way andyd....I am agreeing with you. Just addind my thoughts.....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2023, 09:35   #32
God Member

I think it’s too simple to just blame the players but a “clear out” can cut both ways.
The “clear out” at the end of last season didn’t work out too well. Don’t like to admit it, but the warning from 28 (of blessed memory) at the beginning of this season about not investing in players seems to have been proven to be more right than wrong.

Looking at a list Valairian produced a while ago, of the 34 players listed and still with us, 17 are out of contract/loan at the end of this season and, presumably, can leave of their own accord.

These are:
Savin, Jensen, Isherwood, Tharme, Notts, Clark, Rogers, Longelo, Baghuelou, Conneely, Pritchard, Hamilton, Hardy, Adedoyin, Nolan, Lusiama, and Pressley.

Contracted to 2024 are:
Baba, Sloane, Morgan, Leigh, Coyle, Sangare, Patrick, Poilly, McConville, Whalley, Lowe, Sisay, Adekoya, Moonan, Martin, Fenton, Woods (the last four have contract extensions activated).
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 09:42   #33

Exile........if the funeral goes ahead our playing budget will be reduced by a large amount, certainly in Stanley's terms. There would be a clear out, simply to balance the books....and the leavers might not necessarily be the one's you'd like to go.
Old 16-04-2023, 10:34   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Exile........if the funeral goes ahead our playing budget will be reduced by a large amount, certainly in Stanley's terms. There would be a clear out, simply to balance the books....and the leavers might not necessarily be the one's you'd like to go.
If we go down it doesn't have to mean less playing budget Andy Holt has increased it every season he has been at the helm and with ground improvements finished ( on hold ) I see no reason to reduce the budget as for the players who are contracted for next season unless someone comes in for one of them or more or the contract is waived by both parties they are here to stay so we rebuild around that core which has plenty of young players on small wages so maybe concentrate on a smaller squad with a bit more quality in it.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 10:38   #35
God Member

Of the players out of contract I would personally like to see the following offered new terms:-
Jensen, Clark, Rodgers, Baghuelou, Conneely, Hamilton and Pritchard.
Watchdog likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 11:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
If we go down it doesn't have to mean less playing budget Andy Holt has increased it every season he has been at the helm and with ground improvements finished ( on hold ) I see no reason to reduce the budget as for the players who are contracted for next season unless someone comes in for one of them or more or the contract is waived by both parties they are here to stay so we rebuild around that core which has plenty of young players on small wages so maybe concentrate on a smaller squad with a bit more quality in it.
Seems you're right andyd and financial fair play rules don't apply to League's 1 and 2. There are rules about player budget but an owner can just tip money into a club to pay wages as long as he doesn't expect it back. I suppose it explains how Fleetwood signed Jack Marriot in January for close to £1m and pay him lottery wages every week to score goals against poorer clubs like us.........and with Sheff Wed paying Bannon £21k a week, Windass £12k a week and the two lads at Plymouth £18k a week, not to mention the average League 1 player being paid £7k a week it's no surprise we find it difficult to attract quality players..........
Old 16-04-2023, 16:10   #37

Quote:
Of the players out of contract I would personally like to see the following offered new terms:-
I would add Longelo to that list, one of our more consistent players who can take on opponents, beat them & provide that crucial cross into the box.
It's vital we keep the core of our under 23 squad together. Any team that can win the Central League and remain unbeaten (at any level) is
exceptional.
The departure of the likes of Pressley, Butler-Oyedeji & the invisible man - Touray Sisay, would prove no great loss.
Haggis316, yonmon, pifco and 1 others like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 16:47   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Mr. Coleman,s past achievements have in the main been made possible by some shrewd non league gems and good leadership on the pitch playing in a consistent same 11 or so players, this season that hasn't happened in all departments he blames himself for a lack of depth with any talent in the squad I disagree we are lacking confidence and quality for this level in the squad entire. Wether we are in league 1 or increasingly likely league 2 this squad needs an entire clean sweep.
I was going to say the same but you have said it.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 16:51   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
What of Baghuelou and Pritchard's fitness records and how long can Conneely keep going?

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 16:51   #40
Senior Member+

Is there a 10-a-side league we can play in next season? We're experienced at that ....
Watchdog likes this.
Old 16-04-2023, 17:31   #41
Full Member+

The current team selection would struggle in EFL league 2. If we aren't careful with next seasons recruitment / team selection we could easily follow the route of the Chesterfields, Scunthorpe, Notts County, Oldham, Rochdale and the like which would set us back years. Lets truly hope it doesn't come to that.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 17:40   #42
God Member

Smile Re: The Fleetwood game

Quote:
Being realistic Andy, Clark will be on his way to treble his wages........

Hamilton is our best player, so I think he would be off.

Pritchard I also think will leave for pastures new.....

I could - and hope I am - be wrong completely Andy

P.S. I agree with your thoughts completely

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 17:48   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
The current team selection would struggle in EFL league 2. If we aren't careful with next seasons recruitment / team selection we could easily follow the route of the Chesterfields, Scunthorpe, Notts County, Oldham, Rochdale and the like which would set us back years. Lets truly hope it doesn't come to that.
Hey Watchdog it's not quite time to look into that Crystal Bowl just yet I feel...
Have a peep into mine in which is a vision of The Reds , with those few games left to play, staying in League One by the skin of their teeth !.
I know that following my hyper-critical critique of last evening, some will scoff at this sudden change of heart, but it seems the only fair way for any true Stanley to
think at this crucial time.
I guess that Choirboy might just join me in exhorting everyone, if nothing else, to
KEEP THE FAITH !.
choirboy, casperbtx and Watchdog like this.

Last edited by yonmon; 16-04-2023 at 17:53.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 19:50   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
3-4-1-2 lineup...I thought we were doing 4 at the back ? Anyway, in GOD we trust. C'mon STANLEY.
I cannot believe that it has gotten to Sunday before anybody has pointed out the reason - again - for our demise............

yonmon likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 21:13   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
I cannot believe that it has gotten to Sunday before anybody has pointed out the reason - again - for our demise....

Yes that's it .....Val......problem sorted........4 at the back. There was so much space down the flanks which Fleetwood exploited........I wish I knew who chose 3 at the back for Stanley. Wasn't it when we had 3 very tall centre backs? Just need to kidnap that person, blindfold them and keep them away from the ground and training ground for the last 5 games...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..