Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2004, 23:59   #1

what?

was going on with Accy today? I'm a Leigh fan, and have only ever left your stadium with a smile on my face once before- when we beat Kendal Town in the Lancashire trophy!
For me, what you are desperatley lacking is a goalscorer. If Chris Simm played for you, you'd have beaten us by about 4. you also played with far too many people at the back- our defence is particaularly poor, but you didn't commit enough players forward to expose us. Lutel James should play every match- the only time our defence looked suspect is when he came on. Your defence looked poor, and I think that's because usually you have enough good attacking players to hide the inefficiencies, but today you didn't. Part of me wonders if it is to do with your manager getting above himself. Reading the programme, he was on about formations and whether they suit Acccrington. At this level, he shouldn't be trying to mould his team into a formation, he should be using his players to find the best formation- you're a briliant, slow build up team, but your midfielers are never going to win every game by scoring goals from 25 yards out- you need some width and a goalscorer- the rest of your team is good enough to win the conference.

Good luck with the rest of your season- I enjoy my trips to your place- there's always fans happy to talk about conference football- remember, it could be worse- you could be an RMI fan!
MarkDWFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2004, 02:07   #2
I am Banned

Re: what?

Mark, you've made a lot of interesting comments which are particularly useful , coming as they do from an outsider.

We'll always stick by our team and manager as long as they go out there and play for us - I can't imagine a situation where Stanley fans (real ones, anyway) will be publicly demanding the manager's head on a platter, even if we're slipping down the slope.

Behind the scenes, of course, a fully professional side will be aware that no one is indispensable and they'll each make their own decision as to how hard they're prepared to work to keep their jobs. Sometimes though, in football as in every other part of life, hard work and commitment are just not enough ; flair and talent are often the only things that will turn around a team which is merely "treading water" and allow it to progress against the prevailing current.

So perhaps, as you've indicated, it's time for formulaic football to be sidelined ; for the players' fear and inhibition to be discarded and for the latent talent to be given free rein. I'm sure we all agree with you that Stanley has some fine players ; let's hope that they never feel afraid to turn out for the supporters who really want them to succeed.

And , as has been said on another thread , sincere good wishes to you at Leigh in your Cup run this season.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 06:47   #3

Don't often post on here, most of the topics seem to degenerate into personal slanging matches; but, I've got to say that the last two posts are probably the most sensible I've seen on here for months. Yes, everyone who was there yesterday is bound to be feeling disappointed, including the players & management--- they will all know they did a pretty poor job. Let's hope that common sense prevails, & we start seeing our best players playing in their best positions. Leave the formulas for the Maths class, John, football is not rocket science!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 20:44   #4

Came on tonight (disappointment having subsided) intending to post some 'from a distance' type observations. You three lads I see have beat me to the punch and I totally agree. It only seems a blink or so ago that we had not one but two chances in just a few days to go top of the Conf - thats when the wheels came off and the prospect of hari kari for Stanley fans doesn't refer to the imminent signing of some foreign superstar ! The defence are not wet behind the ears and have produced even recent great performances ( Hereford, Aldershot ). As I've said before, (Dagenham apart - and they had a mare ), I just don't see our attack frightening anybody. I don't like this 4-5-1 stuff because the attack start so deep they are a bit powder-puff if and when we reach the oppo box. The defence ( unless they resort to the predictable hoof up to Mullers ) have no let out because our other attackers are only just feet in front of them - so we have a sort of DIY seige of the Accy goal. Such constant pressure will usually have one result.Whatever numbers you stick in a formation surely you've got to stretch out the oppo defence with two wide receivers, plus a Craney type character to feed of knock-downs from Paul - thats four at least up front then. Like our Henry has recently said, the wingers have to be put in round the back ( as a winger in my yooft,(sorry, Mitchigan Red), I can tell you they don't like it up 'em ! ) and shots have to be on target. I doubt if any could better 1 in 20 Roy of the Rovers type 25 yarders, even without a defender or two challenging and as any bookie can tell you, those sort of odds are for mugs.Not much wrong with our players, although if Lutel has to go - can we please have a quick-footed TALL lad up front.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 14:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon
can we please have a quick-footed TALL lad up front.
i think that would be paul mullin
Old 01-11-2004, 14:13   #6

[QUOTE=Henry Morton] I can't imagine a situation where Stanley fans (real ones, anyway) will be publicly demanding the manager's head on a platter, even if we're slipping down the slope.
QUOTE] by real ones do you mean ones that come on and sing and shout and back coleman up and pay their money to come and watch or those who have been silent servants for the club for decades and haven't muttered a word, not those behind the nets but the invisible SUPPORTERS not fans who have provided a loyal service to the club for years
Old 01-11-2004, 17:45   #7

Yeah i think he does mean some of them silent fans but also i know of many very vocal fans who are also REAL stanley fans so not 100% correct
Old 03-11-2004, 08:21   #8

The guys behind the net give it all the wellie and heart possible, but i know what u mean about the silent fans GOOD POINT KNOWSTHESCORE.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:36   #9

Question Re: what?

Perhaps he means both?

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDWFox
Lutel James should play every match
true, we've not been a quality side in't'league were in now for a few years, t'best days 'ave been and gone, eeh, how grand they were
Old 05-11-2004, 13:30   #11
Senior Member+

No they havent.

Put it this way our bad run will end on Saturday and i think we have a good chance in picking up 9 points in our next 3 games one of them is Barnet away. The good days are still here and will be even more when we get promoted at the end of the season. Yes Lutel is a good player and I like the guy a lot he's a top bloke but at the end of the day Coley has the final word and he's the boss.
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 13:53   #12

Red face Re: what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy16
No they havent.

Put it this way our bad run will end on Saturday and i think we have a good chance in picking up 9 points in our next 3 games one of them is Barnet away. The good days are still here and will be even more when we get promoted at the end of the season. Yes Lutel is a good player and I like the guy a lot he's a top bloke but at the end of the day Coley has the final word and he's the boss.
I wish a shared your optimism! 9 points would be championship form, IMO 3 is more realistic, 4 is a stretch, Oh time will tell!
Old 05-11-2004, 20:48   #13

smiffy lad, when i talk about t'best days havin been and gone they went before tha was alive cocker, and just because a bad run ends, it doesnt necceserely mean, the start of a good run, by the way, have we had one of them sin'christmas?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:29   #14
Senior Member+

In my opinion I would say the start of the seaon was a good run, then we've let the foot off the gas, but we'll be back on track after today's game.

Come on you reds!
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..