Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2012, 09:10   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: York City Match Thread........

Stanley were not that bad, York were better/quicker on the night, Could have gone either way, Fact is it went the way of the side that deserved it more. Think the really crap displays previously are causing over reaction.
Old 24-10-2012, 10:04   #47
Full Member+

There was certainly effort in evidence last night, but apart from one low cross into the six-yard box in the first half, we never really looked like scoring a goal.

The whole team (apart from Bavs) looked low on confidence last night. Too many times, it was a cause of kick the ball up-field and hope. Whenever there were some neat passing triangles, we always looked to then pass it back to one of our defenders or hoof it up-field.

Maybe it is the system that we play - with a lack of confidence, our players can't seem to find another red shirt and so kick it long where our sole striker has little chance of keeping it.

My question: is it time to go back to 4-4-2?

Of the two holding midfielders, Joyce can't find his own team mate when put under pressure and Miller looks very composed on the ball, but appears a little lightweight physically.

Of the three attacking midfielders, Boco and Molyneux play so wide that it leaves Hatfield exposed in the middle and easily over-run.

Of our lone striker, Podge does really well considering the distribution to him - how often does he get the ball to his feet so he can lay it back to Hatfield and build a move?

Chippendale has looked very good when he has played, always able to get in a cross but with just Podge in the middle, it is almost always a wasted ball. Chris Turner wasn't able to get a game in this formation and I think that will also be the case with Chippendale.

My team/formation:

...................Dunbavin....................... .......

Winnard......Murphy......Atkinson......Molyneux

Boco....Hatfield/Barnett....Miller....Chippendale

.........Sheppard/Gray/Carver....Amond...........

One player that we are missing IMO is Andy Procter. Luke Joyce was at his best alongside him; I expect George Miller would play better with someone so combative in the middle with him.

The other issue is that without Bavs being so brilliant so far this season, we would be in real trouble right now
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 10:23   #48
God Member

Agree on many points Whalley Red, especially the need to revert to 4-4-2. We are stretching the game to get wide but leaving massive gaps in the middle of the park. The full backs wander aimlessly with no protection. Far too often we look outnumbered.

My eleven for Saturday would be:

Dunbavin
Murphy Atkinson Winnard Molyneux
Boco Joyce Dixon Chippendale
Amond Sheppard

No matter who plays, the priority has to be getting the basics of positioning right. Without the ball we are frighteningly bad (as showed in York's goal last night). With the ball we aren't doing much either come to think of it.

Gulp.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 11:22   #49
Senior Member+

Much the same as I witnessed at The Kassam on Saturday I'm sorry to say....and does the matter of 'one effort only on goal'not go a long way in converting we devotees into Non-fans ??.
By this I don't mean non-attendance at Home and Away Matches, but rather the feeling of despondence which seems to settle on us when witnessing the current efforts which our Team parade before our eyes !!.
Fans should sing !..but several pro-yoksher taunts from the Coppice end went unchallenged by The Ultras ...strange !.
Fans should be seeing activity which stimulates the rising to one's feet and then shouting and cheering their support.Last night,the Main Stand gave a good impersonation of a Mausoleum with the Coffin lids open such was the lack of enthusiasm., why even the 'Get it up t'field ' lads were virtually silent !!.

My worry is then, that this collective display of gathering gloom, might make other alternatives to a Stanley match look more attractive to a point where these replace a visit to the Crown !!...and numbers will decrease accordingly.

I do hope then that Paul and Liam create something that will bring back the smiles to the faces of their fans... something to Shout about... something to remember !!.. (particularly on long drives home from away games **.

It's more than four defeats in a row... it's what we're seeing !!....

( And Alfred.E. says that I'm turning into a grumpy old f..t !)

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 12:17   #50

Well, much analysis as usual with plenty of differing opinions. I'm not going to repeat what's been said already, agree or disagree.

My point is "goals change games". Its the oldest truth in football. It doesn't really matter, who plays, why they play, or how they play. The formation doesn't really matter.

What matters is taking one's chances when they arise during the game. Goals lift the crowd, the manager and most importantly the team.

What we did earlier in the season was to put the ball in the net. We are not doing it now and we need to start on Saturday. So two things:

1. Come on Cooky lets have three days of shooting practice, from anywhere and every where, all over the park and of course especially in and around the 18 yard box, and

2. We need two or three players getting into the box when we get the opportunity and have the ball in the final third of the pitch.

Keep the faith!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 12:52   #51
Senior Member+

I must admit,i thought Atkinson did well last night,but Shaker has it spot on.
Man Utd played last night and started 4-2-3-1,and were two down and had no width,before going 4-4-2,with width and getting a result.
My point is you cant play this system with width as it becomes 4-5-1 and isolates the forward,which in turn the ball keeps coming back.
You have to hold the ball up front to allow runners to get there,and all the teams we have struggled against do this.
If you play the "three",then they should pass,move and rotate positions.
Did hatfield boco and molyneaux do this?,from what i saw we just played two out wide and hatfield isolated behind podge.
I dont know if the players are struggling to take on board Cookys ideas,but he spent 90 minutes screaming at them.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 19:14   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

Why would they want him?
Sshhhh!

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 20:01   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
18 losses

Why would they want him?
To quote Haggis..... Shhhhhhhhhhh !!!!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 20:02   #54
Senior Member+

Take the compo and run !

Leam & Bryan Hughes IN !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 21:37   #55

Someone spill the beans...where did Bryan Hughes go...and who's got his number?
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..