Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2010, 21:27   #226
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Councillor Britcliffe Called off the AGM

Twas shortly after the 17-17 n our new mayor staring his payback, i departed feeling utterly sick, i may be n ignorant obnoxious get, but i have never sold me soul.
Old 26-05-2010, 21:28   #227
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
which way did pritchard vote or was his vote not required to swing a victory leaving his mayorship safe and sound without it ?
Malcolm Pritchard voted for himself, which is perfectly acceptable practice.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 21:32   #228
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Malcolm Pritchard voted for himself, which is perfectly acceptable practice.
yep agree, was not acceptable to me though to vote fer the deputy mayor, he looked like he was crapping himself, but still did it.
Old 26-05-2010, 21:36   #229
Common Sense Member

Quote:
sory but i dont care what your personal feelings are people are not there for themselves they are there because they have been elected to represent people and therefore have no buisness obstaining on issues that effect the whole area especialy ones as big as this.

i may be alone thinking that but when i vote for somone i vote for them to work for the area not sit back and watch everyone else
True, but part and parcel of voting for an independent councillor is that you are effectively distancing yourself from party politics.

It comes with the territory, although I accept what you are saying.

Old 26-05-2010, 21:41   #230
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep agree, was not acceptable to me though to vote fer the deputy mayor, he looked like he was crapping himself, but still did it.
The glaring blackened eye of a council leader who was exuding pressure on him from every pore didn't help.

I suspect there won't be any freshly-taken smiling pictures of the Leader in the Observer this week.

Old 26-05-2010, 21:43   #231
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
True, but part and parcel of voting for an independent councillor is that you are effectively distancing yourself from party politics.

It comes with the territory, although I accept what you are saying.
Funny then how our new mayor, himself n independant councillor didn't practice the same distancing to get the job.
Old 26-05-2010, 21:45   #232
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Funny then how our new mayor, himself n independant councillor didn't practice the same distancing to get the job.
Appalling cynicism, if I may say so.

When the Leader makes a promise he sticks to it, Cllr Pritchard knew that better than anyone so there can't have been any dirty politics going on, can there?

Old 26-05-2010, 21:48   #233
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Appalling cynicism, if I may say so.
Ta Ken its one of me better qualities.
Old 26-05-2010, 21:50   #234
Common Sense Member

It was also pointed out today by Cllr Britcliffe that the AGM was moved specifically so that all members of the controlling group could be in attendance, since they had the largest number of councillors and it was his way of maintaining a stable council.

Technically, they still don't have overall control and will be heavily reliant on Cllr Malcolm Pritchard in the future to secure majority votes but keep that to yourselves....

Old 26-05-2010, 21:53   #235
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It was also pointed out today by Cllr Britcliffe that the AGM was moved specifically so that all members of the controlling group could be in attendance, since they had the largest number of councillors and it was his way of maintaining a stable council.

Technically, they still don't have overall control and will be heavily reliant on Cllr Malcolm Pritchard in the future to secure majority votes but keep that to yourselves....
well suppose its worth it fer a bog chain around yer neck, no sh1thouse is complete wi out one.
Old 26-05-2010, 22:02   #236

Todays fiasco was the final act in the long running saga of Malcolm being elected as Mayor of Hyndburn.

I voted for my fellow ward councillor (and good friend) John Broadley to be Mayor. John is the epitomy of everything that a hard working councillor should be and would have made an excellent Mayor. John and his wife Jean would have been a credit to the Borough of Hyndburn, as our first citizens, and to the town of Church. But now we have a Mayor who has besmirched the office by his behavior in attaining it.

This is a man who has been prepared to do anything to get a chain round his neck. I hope he is proud of having a sizable number of his fellow councillors vote against him becoming Mayor. I just hope that he isn't expecting too many councillors to attend his official 'Mayor Making' on Saturday 26 June, because I suspect he will rather disappointed.

Maybe he would like to post his views on this forum of what it feels like to sell your soul for 'thirty pieces of silver' or in this case a golden bauble.

Last edited by claytonender; 26-05-2010 at 22:08.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 22:08   #237
Common Sense Member

Malcolm Pritchard: Vote Labour, get Conservative.

I'm reluctant to be too scathing about Malcolm as he was the first non-Labour councillor to offer me a friendly word but I suspect the residents of Milnshaw will be pretty hacked off when news filters through of his voting tactics today.

Old 26-05-2010, 22:22   #238
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Todays fiasco was the final act in the long running saga of Malcolm being elected as Mayor of Hyndburn. This is a man who has been prepared to do anything to get a chain round his neck. I hope he is proud of having a sizable number of his fellow councillors vote against him becoming Mayor. I just hope that he isn't expecting too many councillors to attend his official 'Mayor Making' on Saturday 26 June, because I suspect he will rather disappointed.

Maybe he would like to post his views on this forum of what it feels like to sell your soul for 'thirty pieces of silver' or in this case a golden bauble.
He seems to have been oddly silent, since all this brouhaha exploded, even though he's been on the forum many times recently, and even read this thread.

His last post was the rather cryptic invitation to pm him, as to his reasoning. Seemingly because he didn't have the strength to say what he believes publicly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburn View Post
Neil give me a private message with your contact details and i will tell you malcolmp
At least his last post actually seemed to be by Mayor Pritchard. Unlike his earlier posts, in which he spoke of himself in the third person, and says he 'knows' himself, which is most handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburn View Post
I no clare has done alot of work in milnshaw all so her dad malcolm has i no malcolm will talk to about this just call him
I'm sure the whole Borough will be looking forward to seeing Cllr. Pritchard enthroned at the mayor making ceremony.

It'll probably be the best remembered occasion since the one when the viaduct was hung in protest banners, outraged at who was being made mayor that eventful day.

Perhaps Cllr. Pritchard won't even wear the historic chains of office after all.

At this very minute there could be a jeweller, busily beavering away, fashioning a new chain, out of the thirty pieces of silver.

Let's put all that aside, and wish him well.

After three.

One, two, three.

'For he's a jolly good fellow.
For he's a ....'

Nevermind then, have it your own way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 22:31   #239
God Member

Quote:

lets just hope nothing happens to sway his vote to any particular party then.

by the way who got the mayorship and who prommised it to him i cant recall

thankfully accywebb has not only a lot of members but a hell of a lot of visitors viewing it so thankfully people can make up their own conclusions as to if somthing crooked was going on or not .Personaly i would put the pair on a rotation scheme into the stocks in huncoat and let people throw vegitables at them that are as rotten as their polotics.

allegedly ( learnt that from ian hislop )

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 22:38   #240
Common Sense Member

Quote:
lets just hope nothing happens to sway his vote to any particular party then.

by the way who got the mayorship and who prommised it to him i cant recall

thankfully accywebb has not only a lot of members but a hell of a lot of visitors viewing it so thankfully people can make up their own conclusions as to if somthing crooked was going on or not .Personaly i would put the pair on a rotation scheme into the stocks in huncoat and let people throw vegitables at them that are as rotten as their polotics.

allegedly ( learnt that from ian hislop )
You can get away with virtually anything if you put 'allegedly' after it. Go on, go wild.

What are your views on the newly-elected leader of the Council?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..