Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2010, 10:17   #106
God Member

Re: Councillor Britcliffe Called off the AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It is quite clearly stated to all councillors that you are expected to attend ALL full council meetings, which generally isn't a problem at 7.00pm.

Cllr Britcliffe knows that most Labour councillors work during the day and has rigged the AGM twice in a row now to suit his personal needs.

It is not a good way to run a borough, there just isn't any getting around it.
"Rigged"? You're saying it as if he is doing it because if all councillors are there, he has a minority. If the independent that is giving him the majority is no longer supporting him and Peter Britcliffe is indeed moving the AGM to 'rig' the vote, then please say so, and I'll be very openly critical. As it is, as far as I'm aware, he's got a majority if all elected councillors are there. Hence why I am saying there's a lot of fuss from Labour councillors for no reason.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2010, 10:17   #107
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Cllr Britcliffe knows that most Labour councillors work during the day and has rigged the AGM twice in a row now to suit his personal needs.
Can I just ask, do none of the Tory Councillors work during the day?

If they do work why isn't it also awkward for them to get time off to attend?

Somehow I think I already know the answer, but either yourself or the political sage of accyweb can reply, (it would be nice if he did he ignored what Wyonne and I had to say in our earlier posts, but then when you haven't got an answer thats what you do isn't it Cyfer? (formerly known as Ace......).

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 10:21   #108
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Again you don't know what I pay or what I don't. If Peter Britcliffe was wanting to claim an inflated train fair, at taxpayers expense, I would be saying the same thing. It's against the expenses rules to claim for money that is not apart of an MPs parliamentary duties.

The 'basic facts' are not escaping me. The Conservatives have 17 councillors. One independent, Cllr Prichard, is in the local paper saying he'll support Peter Britcliffe. That's 18 councillors. There are 14 Labour councillors, and 3 other independents. That's 17 if they all vote together.
Then make a statement on your tax situation! I hope you never get elected because you are exactly the sort of councillor we don't want more of. All this 'smoke and mirrors' guff might come across beautifully in studies but it doesn't sit well with the electorate in real life.

I have already suggested that you have read the Observer article as a statement that Graham is claiming £250 as an MP allowance rather than a possible misconstruance on your part to suit yourself. Ask Graham.

Malcolm Pritchard is not 100% guaranteed to vote either way. It all depends on his position on the day and there is absolutely nothing that Peter Britcliffe can do to force him to vote for him as Leader. If it was such a done deal then why all this jumping through hoops to move the meeting?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 10:21   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
...thats what you do isn't it Cyfer?
He didn't have an 'e'.

That was something else he presumably lost, along with his former username, and everything else.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 10:25   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Can I just ask, do none of the Tory Councillors work during the day?

If they do work why isn't it also awkward for them to get time off to attend?

Somehow I think I already know the answer, but either yourself or the political sage of accyweb can reply, (it would be nice if he did he ignored what Wyonne and I had to say in our earlier posts, but then when you haven't got an answer thats what you do isn't it Cyfer? (formerly known as Ace......).

Don't know what councillors have what jobs sorry Less. I posted it in this thread because Graham spoke about the expenses he intended to claim in an article about the AGM movement.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:26   #111
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He didn't have an 'e'.

That was something else he presumably lost, along with his former username, and everything else.

Didn't want any repercussions of a legal nature, by spelling his name correctly.

My litigation costs have shot through the roof this year.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 10:30   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Don't know what councillors have what jobs sorry Less. I posted it in this thread because Graham spoke about the expenses he intended to claim in an article about the AGM movement.
I do.

At least the Peter Posse, of Tory councillors in Ossy.

Not many of them have jobs which involve clocking in and out.

Old 23-05-2010, 10:33   #113
Common Sense Member

Quote:
As it is, as far as I'm aware, he's got a majority if all elected councillors are there. Hence why I am saying there's a lot of fuss from Labour councillors for no reason.
He has a Conservative majority for at least another year but that is quite different from a full majority, as presumably you well know.

Old 23-05-2010, 10:33   #114
God Member

Quote:
Then make a statement on your tax situation! I hope you never get elected because you are exactly the sort of councillor we don't want more of. All this 'smoke and mirrors' guff might come across beautifully in studies but it doesn't sit well with the electorate in real life.

I have already suggested that you have read the Observer article as a statement that Graham is claiming £250 as an MP allowance rather than a possible misconstruance on your part to suit yourself. Ask Graham.

Malcolm Pritchard is not 100% guaranteed to vote either way. It all depends on his position on the day and there is absolutely nothing that Peter Britcliffe can do to force him to vote for him as Leader. If it was such a done deal then why all this jumping through hoops to move the meeting?
Keep referring to my studies. Not sure why. My tax situation has nothing to do with you. Yeah I'm a politics student, that doesn't mean I have to divulge my relations with the tax man to you.

The original poster said that two Conservative councillors couldn't attend the meeting. If Malcolm Prichard votes how he said in the local paper, it'll still only be a majority of one. If it is a done deal, they still need to be there.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:37   #115
Common Sense Member

Quote:
If Malcolm Prichard votes how he said in the local paper, it'll still only be a majority of one. If it is a done deal, they still need to be there.
Yet again I'll suggest that you don't believe everything that is written in the papers.

Everything hinges on Cllr Malcolm Pritchard who has been extremely courteous to me (particularly on the day of the local count) but I understand that he is very much his own man when it comes to making decisions. If there was no worry about Cllr Britcliffe's majority then the AGM would be held at 7.00pm next Wednesday, or would have already been held last Tuesday.

I wouldn't count any chickens before next Wednesday's hatching.

Old 23-05-2010, 10:43   #116
God Member

Quote:
Yet again I'll suggest that you don't believe everything that is written in the papers.

Everything hinges on Cllr Malcolm Pritchard who has been extremely courteous to me (particularly on the day of the local count) but I understand that he is very much his own man when it comes to making decisions. If there was no worry about Cllr Britcliffe's majority then the AGM would be held at 7.00pm next Wednesday, or would have already been held last Tuesday.

I wouldn't count any chickens before next Wednesday's hatching.
I'm not counting chickens. I'm just saying what I think about all this fuss. If you know something we don't then do say. If Malcolm has changed his mind and Peter moved the AGM because of it, I'll criticise Peter for it. I know you're reluctant to criticise your own mans expenses. I have no bone with criticising anyone I perceve to be in the wrong, as I have done in the past.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:46   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I have no bone with criticising anyone I perceve to be in the wrong, as I have done in the past.
unless its conservative, you certainly have no bones about calling other people liars.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:50   #118
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I'm not counting chickens. I'm just saying what I think about all this fuss. If you know something we don't then do say. If Malcolm has changed his mind and Peter moved the AGM because of it, I'll criticise Peter for it. I know you're reluctant to criticise your own mans expenses. I have no bone with criticising anyone I perceve to be in the wrong, as I have done in the past.
I won't criticise Graham for claiming for a train ticket that would have dented his wallet, nor will I say that it pleases me that as a taxpayer I am footing the bill, but the current Leader of the Council is well aware that 1.30pm is damned awkward for the majority of Labour councillors to attend and it is his actions that have presented the borough with this situation, not Graham Jones' personal greed.

It is costing hundreds of pounds in lost wages and man hours and has caused inconveniences for at least half of the council to rearrange their day just so that Cllr Britcliffe can have the AGM at 1.30pm instead of 7.00pm.

Defend that.

Old 23-05-2010, 10:56   #119
God Member

Quote:
I won't criticise Graham for claiming for a train ticket that would have dented his wallet, nor will I say that it pleases me that as a taxpayer I am footing the bill, but the current Leader of the Council is well aware that 1.30pm is damned awkward for the majority of Labour councillors to attend and it is his actions that have presented the borough with this situation, not Graham Jones' personal greed.

It is costing hundreds of pounds in lost wages and man hours and has caused inconveniences for at least half of the council to rearrange their day just so that Cllr Britcliffe can have the AGM at 1.30pm instead of 7.00pm.

Defend that.
Ken, unless Peter holds it on a Friday, Graham is going to be in London anyway. He shouldn't be charging the taxpayer for coming back for business that isn't related to Parliament. I don't think his £66,000 wallet will be dented that heavily.

I don't particularly understand why it's at 1.30pm rather than 7. I haven't seen any explanation and I'm not in constant contact with Peter Britcliffe to find out, despite being acused of being his mouth piece on here before.

I'd prefer it to be at 7.00pm because it's easier for the public to attend. I just think that the way Labour councillors have come about this when as far as everyone knows Peter has the majority of votes to be leader, is rather daft.
Old 23-05-2010, 11:10   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I haven't seen any explanation and I'm not in constant contact with Peter Britcliffe to find out, despite being acused of being his mouth piece on here before.
Probably lost that too, when it was realised you're as useful, and as popular, as a cold sore.

There does seem to be an advantage if councillors aren't employed full time by someone else.

I know in all the companies I worked for, having to have time off in the working day wouldn't have gone down too well at all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..