Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2010, 23:05   #46

Re: Councillor Britcliffe Called off the AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So in laymans,the likely outcome is ya can do sod all about it? and he probably is well aware of that?
Got it in one.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2010, 23:05   #47
God Member

only thing to do then is pee on his parade and turn up one way or another

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 23:07   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

question from the ignorant, is it possible fer those who cannot attend to give a written proxy vote?
Old 21-05-2010, 23:08   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The Leader has put pressure on council officials to change the meeting to the date and time he wanted. The latest date that the AGM of the Council had to be held (as per the constitution of HBC, which state that the AGM must be held no later than 21 days after the election) was Thursday 27 May.

......If officers have acted outside the constitution the facts can be reported to the Monitoring Officer, who has a duty under Section 5A of the 1989 Local Government and Housing Act to investigate contraventions of the council's rules and codes of practice. However, no matter how blatant the contravention is, there is no guarantee that the Monitoring Officer will find that there has been any wrongdoing.
Could you possibly say exactly what pressure was applied by Britcliffe on to the council officials? I don't think he has the power to give 'em P45's, so it would be interesting to know what he did in order to get this meeting rearranged to the time and date.

Other than that, how much will it cost the ratepayers of Hyndburn for this nonsense?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 23:15   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
only thing to do then is pee on his parade and turn up one way or another
For some Councillors who work it's not always possible to get time of work to attend the meeting.

As Claytonender pointed out, full Council meetings have always been held in the evening. An evening meeting did mean that Councillors who work during the day would have good chance to attend the meeting.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 23:18   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Don't think ya would need a great deal of pressure T, if ya don't consult the opposition about the date.
Old 21-05-2010, 23:18   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
question from the ignorant, is it possible fer those who cannot attend to give a written proxy vote?
No I'm afraid not.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 23:20   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
No I'm afraid not.
thought as much, but had to ask.
Old 21-05-2010, 23:34   #54
God Member

Quote:
Don't think ya would need a great deal of pressure T, if ya don't consult the opposition about the date.
I can see a case - just - for deferring the AGM, in the circumstances. What I can't see is the case for the timing. Has there been any precident for an afternoon AGM since 1974? If so, why? If not, then surely it is the job of the local officials to fully ensure that local government protocols are adhered to.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 23:41   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I can see a case - just - for deferring the AGM, in the circumstances. What I can't see is the case for the timing. Has there been any precident for an afternoon AGM since 1974? If so, why? If not, then surely it is the job of the local officials to fully ensure that local government protocols are adhered to.
Whomever the Monitering Officer is "Local" or not? have no idea,but seems to me like the M.O. is in somebodys back pocket.
Old 22-05-2010, 00:16   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
For some Councillors who work it's not always possible to get time of work to attend the meeting.

As Claytonender pointed out, full Council meetings have always been held in the evening. An evening meeting did mean that Councillors who work during the day would have good chance to attend the meeting.
In theory, would it be possible for all council meetings to be held in the evenings?

It really must limit the type of councillors we have, because it must be impossible for many people to take time off here and there, if they're in full time employment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 07:02   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
As someone who knows nowt about Accrington politics--If Councillor Britcliffe is so unpopular how come he keeps being re-elected?
Hi Jim. (are you former HCA Chair I did jury service with?)

Just to answer in part the question, how does he get back in?

The share of vote over the last few years has been 48-52 varying to 52-48 the other way. That usually produces 8 Tory wins and 4 Labour wins. This unfairness goes back to the boundary changes back in 2001 when Labour let Peter redraw the boundaries to his liking.

In fact Labour has won the popular vote the last 2 years and that is with Tories having the advantage of 3 of their seats having an extra councillor (so an extra election when Tories get to vote more often than Labour artificially skewing the popular vote).

This year Labour polled 42%, Conservative's 39%, Independent 17%. (presume 2% spoilt). If Labour had stood a candidate in Overton (ill health) and got 1200 votes as expected it would have been Labour 46%, Tory 38%, Independent 13%.

It is the reverse situation of the national boundaries and voting. Interesting Mr Clegg and Mr Cameron are arguing this needs correcting. Would they apply this thinking to Hyndburn one wonders?

Last edited by g jones; 22-05-2010 at 07:04.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 07:05   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
As someone who knows nowt about Accrington politics--If Councillor Britcliffe is so unpopular how come he keeps being re-elected?
Hi Jim.

The share of vote (LAB-TORY) over the last few years has been 48-52 varying to 52-48 the other way. That usually produces 8 Tory wins and 4 Labour wins. This unfairness goes back to the boundary changes back in 2001 when Labour let Peter redraw the boundaries to his liking.

In fact Labour has won the popular vote the last 2 years and that is with Tories having the advantage of 3 of their seats having an extra councillor (so an extra election when Tories get to vote more often than Labour artificially skewing the popular vote).

This year Labour polled 42%, Conservative's 39%, Independent 17%. (presume 2% spoilt). If Labour had stood a candidate in Overton (ill health) and got 1200 votes as expected it would have been Labour 46%, Tory 38%, Independent 13%.

It is the reverse situation of the national boundaries and voting. Interestingy Mr Clegg and Mr Cameron are arguing this needs correcting. Would they apply this thinking to Hyndburn one wonders?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 07:27   #59

Quote:
I would like to think not.What I can tell you also is that I can't recall a leader of either the Tory Party or the Labour Party doing this in the past.

Of course meetings get changed from time to time. But in my experience there's every effort made to set the time and date that's convenient to most Councillors.

I'm sure you'd appreciate, that if you ask the leader of the Council,he would deny everything I'm saying.

I'm shocked Bernard, to even suggest such a thing about PB is shocking.....but true.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:02   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The point about the changing of the date of the Council Meeting is that the leader of the Councillor is attempting to make it as difficult as possible for some members of the Labour Group to get there. That is some members of the Council actually have to go to work. Others have child caring responsibilities. And he knows that

Council meetings should be held at a time when it's convenient for most members to attend. And not when it suits the political machinations of the leader of the Council
Exactly what you would do if you were in the same position and you know it is, so don't even think of denying it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..