Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2010, 12:22   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Councillor Britcliffe Called off the AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It never stopped me in the afternoon either Bernard, it was just that I tended to get more gatted that's all Think the last mayor making/AGM in an afternoon I attended was when Dog Hayes was Mayor, I ended up in the Heys Inn while god knows what time that I think was 10 years ago?
that was perhaps cos of yer employment? we both know that its not so easy to get release wi some firms, therefore making it unfair to have em at afternoon, i would condem that strongly know matter whom it was, seems you won't.
Old 22-05-2010, 13:23   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that was perhaps cos of yer employment? we both know that its not so easy to get release wi some firms, therefore making it unfair to have em at afternoon, i would condem that strongly know matter whom it was, seems you won't.
When I first started going to these mayor making ceremonies cashy the control was firmly in labours hands in fact the mayor was Cliff Westell so I cant really see your point
Old 22-05-2010, 13:33   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
When I first started going to these mayor making ceremonies cashy the control was firmly in labours hands in fact the mayor was Cliff Westell so I cant really see your point
Point is simple mate, i think afternoon meeting, when it can be easily avoided (as it seems this one could) is totally un-necessary, also unfair on anyone who cannot attend.
Old 22-05-2010, 13:37   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Point is simple mate, i think afternoon meeting, when it can be easily avoided (as it seems this one could) is totally unnecessary, also unfair on anyone who cannot attend.
Can't disagree I was just saying how it was twenty years ago cashy, which was the norm irrespective of political control
Old 22-05-2010, 18:50   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
There is already a facility for that, or there was? by asking for a named vote (am I right Bernard) whereas the who voted which way is recorded in the minutes of the meeting

That's right,recorded votes are quite common,whereas secret ballot's are quite rare. In fact I can't recall one in a Council Meeting
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 22:57   #81
Senior Member+

Andrew. I do not want to pay for expensive last minute train fares. The date was last tuesday and i was prepared to pair off then with Paul.

You need to realise this is not a situation of my making or that I or Labour have any control over.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 23:00   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Andrew. I do not want to pay for expensive last minute train fares. The date was last tuesday and i was prepared to pair off then with Paul.

You need to realise this is not a situation of my making or that I or Labour have any control over.
Wasting yer breath mate, ya can't put sense where there is none.
Old 22-05-2010, 23:50   #83

The council meeting on 30 March which had originally been scheduled to be at 7pm was moved by Councillor Britcliffe to 1pm, because he wanted to attend a drama presentation that his daughter was appearing in. Whilst I can understand and appreciate that Peter wanted to support his daughter he could have moved the meeting to another evening which would have enabled all councillors to attend the meeting.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 23:56   #84
God Member

Eh? Surely one person on the council cannot make such an executive decision? Resceduling the meeting must surely have gone to a vote.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:01   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Eh? Surely one person on the council cannot make such an executive decision? Resceduling the meeting must surely have gone to a vote.
Unfortunately one person does make the executive decisions. You don't expect Hyndburn Council to be a democracy do you?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:25   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Unfortunately one person does make the executive decisions. You don't expect Hyndburn Council to be a democracy do you?
OK....I can understand an executive decision being made for certain reasons but not for a motive such as this. Was it made clear at the time? Did the press pick up on it? (I don't remember reading 'owt).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 07:43   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

I realise it's not a situation of your making. You openly state that you want to claim expenses outside of your job as an MP though.. against the IPSA rules.. already.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:23   #88
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I realise it's not a situation of your making. You openly state that you want to claim expenses outside of your job as an MP though.. against the IPSA rules.. already.
You're on dangerous ground there, Andrew. There would have been no need for all this to-ing and fro-ing if Hyndburn Council was run in a democratic way and meetings were held at reasonable times on the day they were originally scheduled.

This is probably going to rock your world, but no one outside of Oswaldtwistle would vote freely for Cllr Britcliffe to become leader of the council and all the Tories have been whipped to support him.

Just remind me how a democracy works again?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:29   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You're on dangerous ground there, Andrew. There would have been no need for all this to-ing and fro-ing if Hyndburn Council was run in a democratic way and meetings were held at reasonable times on the day they were originally scheduled.

This is probably going to rock your world, but no one outside of Oswaldtwistle would vote freely for Cllr Britcliffe to become leader of the council and all the Tories have been whipped to support him.

Just remind me how a democracy works again?
Not sure why I'm the one on dangerous ground. I've never defended the decision to change dates. What I pointed out was an MP willing to break the expenses rules days after he was elected and advertising it in the Observer.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:34   #90
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Not sure why I'm the one on dangerous ground. I've never defended the decision to change dates. What I pointed out was an MP willing to break the expenses rules days after he was elected and advertising it in the Observer.
You'll have to direct me to that because I don't recall reading it.

The Observer also reported that Graham was elected as Greg Pope's predecessor, so possibly things aren't so black and white.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..