Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2010, 09:15   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Councillor Britcliffe Called off the AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Exactly what you would do if you were in the same position and you know it is, so don't even think of denying it
When and who called the last "Afternoon" meeting? or any afternoon un fer that matter,to me yer defending the indefensible.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:25   #62
God Member

If all councillors attend, Peter Britcliffe becomes leader. As it happens one has had a car crash and can't attend. You're telling me that if another party had a majority they wouldn't hold off until all their councillors could attend? Yes as much should be done to get all councillors there, but it seems to me theres a lot of crying wolf from a party that knows they don't have a majority anyway.

Meanwhile we have an MP wanting to charge the taxpayer £250 for a trip to London for purposes which are not to do with his job as an MP.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 09:28   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If all councillors attend, Peter Britcliffe becomes leader. As it happens one has had a car crash and can't attend. You're telling me that if another party had a majority they wouldn't hold off until all their councillors could attend? Yes as much should be done to get all councillors there, but it seems to me theres a lot of crying wolf from a party that knows they don't have a majority anyway.

Meanwhile we have an MP wanting to charge the taxpayer £250 for a trip to London for purposes which are not to do with his job as an MP.
you really are pathetic, still expect nowt else from a loser.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:30   #64
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Hey Toryboy, read the first post properly before Talking around that foot you keep in your big gob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
His reason was the mayor's accident but Graham Jones had agreed to pair off with the mayor so that the mayor's absence would not give Labour an advantage.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 09:35   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hey Toryboy, read the first post properly before Talking around that foot you keep in your big gob!
If it is to do with another councillor being unable to attend then the same applies. I'm not defending the decision, I just think it's rather dull for Labour to cry wolf as if they have a majority and Peter Britcliffe is trying change the times to stop them.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:37   #66
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
If it is to do with another councillor being unable to attend then the same applies. I'm not defending the decision, I just think it's rather dull for Labour to cry wolf as if they have a majority and Peter Britcliffe is trying change the times to stop them.
Instead of all the above, you could have said,

"Oops Sorry everybody, I got it wrong, again!"

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 09:48   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
When and who called the last "Afternoon" meeting? or any afternoon un fer that matter,to me yer defending the indefensible.
It was always afternoon, then it changed in I think 2002, when Labour were in control for one year
Old 22-05-2010, 10:04   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
It was always afternoon, then it changed in I think 2002, when Labour were in control for one year
There has been one full Council meeting in the afternoon in the last thirty years. Full Council have always been held at 7pm Tuesday evening.

Why in the evening? because that's when its most convenient for members to get there.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 10:30   #69
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Andrew, we have a ludicrous system at the moment where protocol and consistution rules are flouted and bent to the will of one man who represents the best interests of both himself and his own ward. Hyndburn, whatever mystical land that might be, does not really exist outside the boundary of Oswaldtwistle.

There are set rules about full council meetings which have not been fully adhered to and which have passed through the legal and executive system with rather suspicious ease.

If the Leader of the Council truly believed in a democratic society then every vote would be by secret ballot and all full council meetings would be at a convenient time. 7.00pm is convenient for everyone, so why hold it in the afternoon unless you're desperate to get a vote to go your way and re-elect yourself as Leader of the Council?

Secret ballots can be requested if one third of the council want one, but this can be overturned by a mere six councillors who want a named ballot - the majority overturned by the minority.

As it stands, Cllr Britcliffe is not 100% guaranteed to be voted Leader of the Council next week as you seem to be forgetting the Independent councillors also have voting rights and are not over-enamoured of him.

By moving the full council meeting to 1.30pm it makes it quite difficult for all Labour councillors to make it to the meeting, therefore enabling Cllr Britcliffe a clear definite majority of at least one vote. It is jerrymandering and not in Hyndburn's best interests for any Leader to behave this way.

Just keep an eye on those purse strings if he gets re-elected. There is no money in the pot for any ward this year (in fact the Area Council in Rishton have been given a whopping £12k to spend for the year and we're quite well off with that compared to others) but just wait and see how many Oswaldtwistle projects get the green light.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 10:30   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There has been one full Council meeting in the afternoon in the last thirty years. Full Council have always been held at 7pm Tuesday evening.

Why in the evening? because that's when its most convenient for members to get there.
Sorry Bernard, I'll hold my hand up when I'm wrong, was thinking we were talking about the AGM (Mayor Making) which was always in the afternoon.
Old 22-05-2010, 10:49   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sorry Bernard, I'll hold my hand up when I'm wrong, was thinking we were talking about the AGM (Mayor Making) which was always in the afternoon.
The Mayor Making for years was always in the evening as well. At that time it was combined with the AGM. In recent years the two have been split. The more formal AGM has been held in the evening, whilst the Mayor Making has tended to be on a Saturday morning.

I use to like the Mayor Making in the evening. You could have a few pints after the meeting.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:03   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
I use to like the Mayor Making in the evening. You could have a few pints after the meeting.
Spoken like a true Accy lad!
Old 22-05-2010, 11:16   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Andrew, we have a ludicrous system at the moment where protocol and consistution rules are flouted and bent to the will of one man who represents the best interests of both himself and his own ward. Hyndburn, whatever mystical land that might be, does not really exist outside the boundary of Oswaldtwistle.

There are set rules about full council meetings which have not been fully adhered to and which have passed through the legal and executive system with rather suspicious ease.

If the Leader of the Council truly believed in a democratic society then every vote would be by secret ballot and all full council meetings would be at a convenient time. 7.00pm is convenient for everyone, so why hold it in the afternoon unless you're desperate to get a vote to go your way and re-elect yourself as Leader of the Council?

Secret ballots can be requested if one third of the council want one, but this can be overturned by a mere six councillors who want a named ballot - the majority overturned by the minority.

As it stands, Cllr Britcliffe is not 100% guaranteed to be voted Leader of the Council next week as you seem to be forgetting the Independent councillors also have voting rights and are not over-enamoured of him.

By moving the full council meeting to 1.30pm it makes it quite difficult for all Labour councillors to make it to the meeting, therefore enabling Cllr Britcliffe a clear definite majority of at least one vote. It is jerrymandering and not in Hyndburn's best interests for any Leader to behave this way.

Just keep an eye on those purse strings if he gets re-elected. There is no money in the pot for any ward this year (in fact the Area Council in Rishton have been given a whopping £12k to spend for the year and we're quite well off with that compared to others) but just wait and see how many Oswaldtwistle projects get the green light.
I can't agree with you that a secret ballot is more democratic. Councillors should be held accountable for how they vote. The people of Hyndburn can't hold them accountable if they don't know which way they've voted.
Old 22-05-2010, 12:15   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Mayor Making for years was always in the evening as well. At that time it was combined with the AGM. In recent years the two have been split. The more formal AGM has been held in the evening, whilst the Mayor Making has tended to be on a Saturday morning.

It never stopped me in the afternoon either Bernard, it was just that I tended to get more gatted that's all Think the last mayor making/AGM in an afternoon I attended was when Dog Hayes was Mayor, I ended up in the Heys Inn while god knows what time that I think was 10 years ago?
Old 22-05-2010, 12:18   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can't agree with you that a secret ballot is more democratic. Councillors should be held accountable for how they vote. The people of Hyndburn can't hold them accountable if they don't know which way they've voted.
There is already a facility for that, or there was? by asking for a named vote (am I right Bernard) whereas the who voted which way is recorded in the minutes of the meeting

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..