Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 21:54   #151
JFT96

Re: Punk heralded the death of pop

No luck there, I'm at home at the moment!
Your flight will be okay, it's by far the safest form of transport.

However, I could tell you why we call it a cockpit........ But then I would have o turn into Captain Oveur from Airplane!!!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2012, 22:17   #152
God Member

Sounds exotic...do tell!

Haven't booked yet, will probably have to go to Tenerife first, then on to the good old UK.

Don't suppose you could stop off and pick me up on your way home!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17   #153
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Think I heard he now runs a gym or something similar in London...

Liked his songs -really bring back a certain time of life for me..
He's actually still heavily into the music industry modertol
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27   #154
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He's actually still heavily into the music industry modertol
Love it when you call me MoDertol, Jay. For some reason has me thinking of Gargling -Dettol?! Must go for a neurological check-up -I worry sometimes how my mind works (Have had a CAT scan and there is a brain in there!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Love it when you call me MoDertol, Jay. For some reason has me thinking of Gargling -Dettol?! Must go for a neurological check-up -I worry sometimes how my mind works (Have had a CAT scan and there is a brain in there!)
Would you be so kind and publish that evidence
Old 11-03-2012, 14:02   #156
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
So they are in good company, they have sold more than Johnny Cash, 1 million more than Lady Gaga, the same amount of Village People, very punk!
10 Million less than Journey, 35 million less than Dolly Parton, The Who, Paul Maccartney (solo) Janet Jackson! Britney Spears!
It gets better, 65 million less than Backstreet Boys!! Or even Genesis, so I will not need to throw away Foxtrot just yet

135 million less than Celine Dion or Mariah Carey! Or even my beloved Pink Floyd.
Abba sold between 200 and 300million, right when Punk was at its highest

Finally The Beatles and Elvis, 1 Billion records.
Who said pop music was dead!
Opps I wasn't challenging your EGO! How many wasn't the issue mate!

I was clearly stating that a band playing punk in the Mid- noughties (or first 10 years of the 21st Century) were selling a lot of records!

But thanks for doing the research!!!
PS I note you say your beloved Pink Floyd, may I point out - a band who were inspired by LSD and Cannabis!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 14:53   #157
Beacon of light

do you have to drag your drug theme into every post? (I wish you would find another fiddle to play on).
It is not relevant. I like Pink Floyd too...it was my era...that does not mean that I condone the use of illegal drugs.......where they got their creative drive did not interest me than and it doesn't now.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 18:21   #158
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

I was clearly stating that a band playing punk in the Mid- noughties (or first 10 years of the 21st Century) were selling a lot of records!

But thanks for doing the research!!!
PS I note you say your beloved Pink Floyd, may I point out - a band who were inspired by LSD and Cannabis!
Why don't you just sod off and take your love of drugs with you, your just brain addled moron
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45   #159
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Why don't you just sod off and take your love of drugs with you, your just brain addled moron
What Can't you take the truth? Pink Floyd were inspired by LSD and encouraged others to take it buy their type of music - this is fact - not fiction.

#

Sid Barrett wrote this track.
Old 12-03-2012, 14:34   #160
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its a great track, but Syd was hospitalised in 68 with reports of mental illness, coupled wi drug addiction, so he aint exactly a great argument fer yer cause.http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...oyd.popandrock

Last edited by cashman; 12-03-2012 at 14:37.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:36   #161
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its a great track, but Syd was hospitalised in 68 with reports of mental illness, coupled wi drug addiction, so he aint exactly a great argument fer yer cause.Syd Barrett dies aged 60 | Culture | guardian.co.uk
No, the issue here is not that LSD is good, but that it was a major influence on Pink Floyds music - come on you can't deny that their music is Trip music!
Old 12-03-2012, 15:47   #162
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We don't.

We expect you to be wrong.

Why don't you pop some middle of the road pap on, and have a little pogo?

Try Manhattan Transfer.

Now they really were hard core punk rockers.
What an horrible world!

Joey Ramone recorded this track a few weeks before he died, apparently and now is being used in the TV ad for Thomas Cook!
Old 12-03-2012, 16:56   #163
JFT96

Quote:
No, the issue here is not that LSD is good, but that it was a major influence on Pink Floyds music - come on you can't deny that their music is Trip music!
The same could be said of any psychedelic, new age, prog rock music. Have you listened to The Yes Album? Or Foxtrot by Genesis?

I have never abused any drug, legal or otherwise, yet I am a huge Pink Floyd fan as well as prog rock and find Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band one of the finest albums of all time. Yet I do not feel the need to be stoned or high on drugs to enjoy them.

Just because a musician took drugs, is not a endorsement of them.
In fact David Gilmour did take cocaine during his divorce with then wife Ginger, he refers to the "usual rock star coke lifestyle"

And I quote from another website here:
I must say, Gilmour nails it on the head with one line, and this is a direct quote....."It's a drug that does nothing for anyone." True words, those! Actually it turns people into shells of people. It has the ability to deceive it's user, building up false confidence, "allowing" them to become more talkative and all the rest. "It left me with a prematurely aged heart", was another comment Gilmour made on the subject.

So back to the subject matter, Punk did not kill off Pop music, end of

Old 12-03-2012, 17:02   #164
JFT96

Quote:
As Zaphod Beeblebrox once said “If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.”

Old 12-03-2012, 17:43   #165
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And the Lord said let there be light and there was light and it shone for miles

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..