Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 21:23   #181

Punk augmented some pop? Some pop is total crap though. Punk circa 1976 changed music forever
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2012, 21:39   #182
God Member

Re: Punk heralded the death of pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Punk augmented some pop? Some pop is total crap though. Punk circa 1976 changed music forever
Let's face it punk was crap..it did pave the way for some good "new wave" music in the UK that was good.. but at they end of the day chart music is "pop"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 21:41   #183

Got to disagree. Clash, Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks and Damned were brilliant.
Old 09-05-2012, 21:56   #184
God Member

Quote:
Got to disagree. Clash, Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks and Damned were brilliant.
Yes of course.. but most of them ended up making pop songs.

Last edited by Mancie; 09-05-2012 at 21:59.
Old 09-05-2012, 22:01   #185

Unfortunately I can't disagree there apart from maybe SLF.
Old 09-05-2012, 22:07   #186
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Ahhhh...some New Wave! being a Simple Mind
Reckon this is as close as Simple Minds got to New Wave

Old 09-05-2012, 23:28   #187
Senior Member+

Well UK punk left something to be desired.... US hardcore punk... hmm now some of those guys did great songs. Don't like many but I love Angry Samoans 'back to Samoa' album
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12   #188
God Member

Punk did cause the impact of new wave music in the UK .. new wave like Magazine, Buzzcocks.. even the Jam.
Magazine

Old 10-05-2012, 01:34   #189
God Member

I jumped the gun there .. this is "new wave" from Magazine in 1977 when Punk was in full swing.. Motorcade

Last edited by Mancie; 10-05-2012 at 01:37.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02   #190
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I absolutely hate the link between LSD and Pink Floyd. I was often told "you have to listen to this on acid"

I would rather (back then)take LSD and bash my head against a wall that listen that rubbish.
I wasn't a big Pink Floyd fan in the 70's but I heard their records a few occasions and the lyrics from Dark Side of the Moon also stuck in my mind...

"Hanging around on a piece of ground in your home town, waiting for someone or something to show you the way!"

I never taken LSD and listened to Pink Floyd - but those lyrics strike a bell!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:45   #191
Senior Member+

Quote:
Punk changed Pop music without a doubt...

Artists like Elvis Costello were launched by Punk...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51   #192
God Member

Prefer Joe Jackson to Elvis Costello - this is a great song-hadn't heard it in years...

Not a bit influenced by punk!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:51   #193
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Prefer Joe Jackson to Elvis Costello - this is a great song-hadn't heard it in years...

Never like Elvis Costello mobertol, never floated my boat at all
Old 12-05-2012, 16:34   #194
Senior Member+

Quote:

[/URL]

You seem determined to undermine the fact that punk changed the music business, that is fact. For one it opened the door for mass indie music market and in the light of punk a multitude of indie record labels sprang up and the DIY ethic brought on by punk was responsible for this. Joe Jackson would probably have not got a record deal but for Punk. Regardless I only remember 2 of his songs - but he did come out on that crest of a NEW WAVE launched by punk rock.

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-05-2012 at 16:40.
Old 12-05-2012, 17:17   #195
JFT96

Being a big fan of Joe Jackson, I got into him in the early 80's, I would say he is anything but punk.
Night and Day, the album which 'Steppin Out' was off was a nod and tribute to Cole Porter.
he is just finishing a tribute album to Duke Ellington, his work comprises Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock sometimes combining them all.
I have seen him a few times live and he is one of the best live acts I have ever seen.

To say that Punk paved the way for him, well if having a record producer hear your tape, then signing you is down to the influence of punk so be it. but where does that leave The Beatles.
His label at the time was A&M a rather large label.

To be fair, I always thought the start of DIY etc started with the Teac A3440 4 track reel to reel and the Tascam home studio that used cassettes.

Maybe we should class Marillion as punk, they don't have a record label, instead rely on their fans to buy albums up front, so they can record them.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..