Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 18:44   #196
JFT96

Re: Punk heralded the death of pop

All that said, punk did help change the established music record industry ethic, just as ska and new wave, helped by the likes of Talking Heads and The Cars did.
I just don't like punk, that's all

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2012, 18:53   #197
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Being a big fan of Joe Jackson, I got into him in the early 80's, I would say he is anything but punk.
Night and Day, the album which 'Steppin Out' was off was a nod and tribute to Cole Porter.
he is just finishing a tribute album to Duke Ellington, his work comprises Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock sometimes combining them all.
I have seen him a few times live and he is one of the best live acts I have ever seen.

To say that Punk paved the way for him, well if having a record producer hear your tape, then signing you is down to the influence of punk so be it. but where does that leave The Beatles.
His label at the time was A&M a rather large label.

To be fair, I always thought the start of DIY etc started with the Teac A3440 4 track reel to reel and the Tascam home studio that used cassettes.

Maybe we should class Marillion as punk, they don't have a record label, instead rely on their fans to buy albums up front, so they can record them.
It's the musical climate of the time and his first hit 79 "Is she really going out with him!" is most definately on the bandwagon of Elvis Costello style market! This is how record companies work - they advise artists and produce artists to make their sound fit the moment. That record is definately of that sound of New Wave - no not punk mate but there is a line drawn by punk of the type of music that was in the chart before punk and then after wards and there is a massive difference! Records that made it in 78 - 79 like Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson would not have been as successful before punk.

This is not just my opinion but many well known music business pundits.

You had Punk - New Wave - Power Pop - Joe Jackson wasn't punk, his single "Is she really going out with him!" was New Wave and I bet the producer made sure it was like that so they'd get a hit!

Quote from Wikipedia entry on him - " He was popular for his pop/rock and new wave music early on before moving to more eclectic, though less commercially successful, pop/jazz/classical hybrids."
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:03   #198
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Quote from Wikipedia entry on him - " He was popular for his pop/rock and new wave music early on before moving to more eclectic, though less commercially successful, pop/jazz/classical hybrids."
Did you go on Wikipedia and write that yourself?

I listened to Joe Jackson all the way from Accy to Strasbourg on a coach (school exchange trip) Easter 1979, that and Outlandos D'amour, almost wore the tapes out -both on A&M if i remember rightly.

It's fair enough on the part of a record company -who want to make money on their investment, to suggest the direction of an artist's first output - their own style will prevail if they are destined for success. Joe Jackson and The Police have stayed the test of time as artists even though their first songs were less "them", as you suggest in the case of JJ. The Police had a "Punk" first record -Landlord, which was not a hit -listen to it and you'll see why! They were also told by A&M to bleach their hair blond to look more Punk -they just looked a bit daft as they were much older than the kids playing punk -even though Sting pulled it off better than the other two because of his natural beauty.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons -was thinking about Squeeze -another group I loved back in the good old days of the 70's. Where would you place them with relaton to Punk? Might be an idea to ask Jools

Have just listened to this one again with much pleasure

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 20:58   #199
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

I listened to Joe Jackson all the way from Accy to Strasbourg on a coach (school exchange trip) Easter 1979, that and Outlandos D'amour, almost wore the tapes out -both on A&M if i remember rightly.

It's fair enough on the part of a record company -who want to make money on their investment, to suggest the direction of an artist's first output - their own style will prevail if they are destined for success. Joe Jackson and The Police have stayed the test of time as artists even though their first songs were less "them", as you suggest in the case of JJ. The Police had a "Punk" first record -Landlord, which was not a hit -listen to it and you'll see why! They were also told by A&M to bleach their hair blond to look more Punk -they just looked a bit daft as they were much older than the kids playing punk -even though Sting pulled it off better than the other two because of his natural beauty.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons -was thinking about Squeeze -another group I loved back in the good old days of the 70's. Where would you place them with relaton to Punk? Might be an idea to ask Jools

Have just listened to this one again with much pleasure
No I didn't write it myself it was on the Wikipedia page. As for the Police - yeh they jumped on the Punk Bandwagon and it worked they went onto being a massive band with the dyed hair! They also cashed in on the Reggae link!

Squeeze, Joe Jackson were New Wave or Power Pop - definately taking advantage of that market.

Debbie Harry were also part of the New York Punk Scene from about 1975 - but very soon from around 78 she was doing pop with a New Wave edge quickly converting to Disco mixed with their new wave/punk edge!

Last edited by kestrelx; 14-05-2012 at 21:06.
Old 14-05-2012, 21:50   #200
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aaaaahhh, Debbie Harry, my generation of Schoolboys fantasy, she was a proper darlin' in them days. Not looking to bad now either, eeeehh.
Old 14-05-2012, 23:07   #201
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aaaaahhh, Debbie Harry, my generation of Schoolboys fantasy, she was a proper darlin' in them days. Not looking to bad now either, eeeehh.
Time takes it's toll dave.. don't want to wreck your dream but this is the latest pic of Debbie

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 23:13   #202
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
She was top of the class back in 78 - I saw her at Blackburn King George's Hall. It was almost like a private date!
Old 15-05-2012, 00:00   #203
God Member

Reckon songs such as this did come from punk/new wave.. and it just went on

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:38   #204
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Time takes it's toll dave.. don't want to wreck your dream but this is the latest pic of Debbie
The depths of despair & misery open before me, a bottomless pit into which my dreams be cast ! Cruel, pernicious, fate hath my chimera destroyed !

Ah well, best dig out my collection of Gentleman's browsing material then !
Old 16-06-2012, 10:17   #205
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

It's fair enough on the part of a record company -who want to make money on their investment, to suggest the direction of an artist's first output - their own style will prevail if they are destined for success. Joe Jackson and The Police have stayed the test of time as artists even though their first songs were less "them", as you suggest in the case of JJ. The Police had a "Punk" first record -Landlord, which was not a hit -

Go to 52:27 on this film about Sex Pistols and you'll see a young Sting and Stuart Copeland putting up a poster.... Notice how Stings still wearing flares ha ha ha!
Old 03-07-2012, 21:44   #206
God Member

Quote:
She was top of the class back in 78 - I saw her at Blackburn King George's Hall. It was almost like a private date!
In your dreams...!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-07-2012, 21:48   #207
God Member

Quote:

Go to 52:27 on this film about Sex Pistols and you'll see a young Sting and Stuart Copeland putting up a poster.... Notice how Stings still wearing flares ha ha ha!
Don't have time to watch it all now -no doubt Sting looked great in flares

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-07-2012, 21:56   #208
God Member

Great 80's pop -who could forget Patsy Kensit?!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-07-2012, 22:44   #209
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I forgot her..........Instantly.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09   #210
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I forgot her..........Instantly.
Will admit I had too -she was a better actress than singer. Saw this video in SKY's 80's selection yesterday evening.

Think she was a classic one hit wonder!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..