Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 15:36   #166
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Are registered members frightening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I have noticed this also, I always wonder if it's the same person reinventing themselves -or would that not be possible?

When I posted from my mum's computer in Tenerife recently she got a message pretty quickly asking her if she had opened two profiles!
Well in theory, The site does track members (not in a nasty way) when we register we have an IP address, this is registered with the mebership. There are two reasons, to protect the member from being hacked and to prevent people using two user names either at the same or if they've been banned and try to enrol again. So when you log on from a different address this is noted.
There is nothing wrong with using your account from a different computer, but if you had been hacked and you were logged on in Italy* and at the same time the UK*, then something, somewhere, is wrong so checks are made.
The above is only a brief outline of what happens, I won't go into further details, but you could learn more by googling of course.

* Your computer in Italy could be logged on permanently (when you tick log me into this computer permanently) and the account in UK temporary this could explain being online in two places at once.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2012, 16:48   #167
Senior Member+

Seems like Accychris has been a member for a while but only just decided to join the discussion
Old 06-05-2012, 18:09   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Seems like Accychris has been a member for a while but only just decided to join the discussion
He might have been away Restless
Old 06-05-2012, 21:08   #169
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is only my opinion, but the answer from me would have to be 'no'.
I'm pretty sure that many potential members sit on the sidelines watching the 'flow'.....surely they can make up their minds before they jump in....and the fact that many do jump in and post interesting stuff is a testament to this.
We all know who the 'grumpy burgers' on the site are...it is a bit like a microcosm of real life...you meet people you like a bit, you meet people you like a lot....you meet people you couldn't give a rusty nut for and then there are the rest....you take them in your stride.
Anyone who isn't adult enough to be able to deal with it, needs to live a bit and come back when they feel they have developed enough coping strategies to let any perceived arrows go right over their heads.

I think the difference with real life and here is, if you were talking to someone in the street you would not expect to be interrupted by someone who just wants to give insults or dominate the conversation.

Also you can choose to walk away and start a conversation with someone else, and if they followed you you would call the police The etiquette of real life is disappearing on here
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 21:13   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps it's the wrong question?

Could it just be that the guests are happy to be just that, guests? I have a few friends that regularly read but never post.

Perhaps the people that join, come across the site find it interesting and jump straight in?

Maybe some are put off? Maybe some are encouraged to join because of the way the members join together to discourage the idiots rather than allow them to take control?
We seem to get the really strange ones turning up about once every three months, (or in my case daily), it's not often they come in pairs, we even have some members go out of their way to encourage the fools to post more, these members usually hide behind such terms as being fair or freedom of speech.
There are disadvantages to just being a guest, you are unable to view the photos posted on here by some of our excellent photographers. So you only get the text of a conversation and miss out on the depth that can be provided, plus you do not get a key to the executive toilets, or the free delivery of chutney on the first of the month.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:29   #171
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I think the difference with real life and here is, if you were talking to someone in the street you would not expect to be interrupted by someone who just wants to give insults or dominate the conversation.

Also you can choose to walk away and start a conversation with someone else, and if they followed you you would call the police The etiquette of real life is disappearing on here
I think if yeh post on here yer talking to everyone, if yeh realise it or not, Theres sod all disappearing on on here, its just phases that come n go as a few have explained, some can't seem to grasp that fact, always some newbies come on n want to change things to suit them,This is getting as boring as the drugs thread by going oer the same ground.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:38   #172

Quote:
There are disadvantages to just being a guest, you are unable to view the photos posted on here by some of our excellent photographers. So you only get the text of a conversation and miss out on the depth that can be provided, plus you do not get a key to the executive toilets, or the free delivery of chutney on the first of the month.
Have you seen the state of those toilets lately?
Could it be that the same people that leave a disgusting trail across the threads are doing the same in there?

Old 06-05-2012, 21:53   #173
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think if yeh post on here yer talking to everyone, if yeh realise it or not, Theres sod all disappearing on on here, its just phases that come n go as a few have explained, some can't seem to grasp that fact, always some newbies come on n want to change things to suit them,This is getting as boring as the drugs thread by going oer the same ground.
You have a point , a post is, I suppose speaking to everyone. The thing is though, you have to respect the others on this site, and insulting to suite your argument is not a polite thing to do. It will result in threads closed or posts removed, and not a moment too soon
Old 06-05-2012, 21:54   #174
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Could it be that the same people that leave a disgusting trail across the threads are doing the same in there?

:s_pooh
Nah, I think it's after people have eaten the chutney...

Last edited by susie123; 06-05-2012 at 21:56.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 21:57   #175
Senior Member+

Quote:

Hey, that was a bit subtle with the smilies (or smellies as they are called)
Old 06-05-2012, 22:00   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Nah, I think it's after people have eaten the chutney...
If it causes you problems, cut out the middleperson (Oooh look even I can be PC), when the chutney arrives just go to the toilet and spread that over the toilet seat. No-one will look close enough to notice the difference.
Old 06-05-2012, 22:56   #177
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You have a point , a post is, I suppose speaking to everyone. The thing is though, you have to respect the others on this site, and insulting to suite your argument is not a polite thing to do. It will result in threads closed or posts removed, and not a moment too soon
True, but what i think in quite a few cases n perhaps yeh aint aware dave? quite a few on here now know each other personally, thats a fact, N those folk frequently have the craic or banter wi each other, Some i would think people may perceive as deadly enemies, Its easy done wi those who choose to stay behind the keyboard,
Old 06-05-2012, 23:06   #178

Quote:
I think the difference with real life and here is, if you were talking to someone in the street you would not expect to be interrupted by someone who just wants to give insults or dominate the conversation...
I wish! I seem to be a magent for people who think it's OK to interrupt, and monopolise the conversation. Yesterday, I encountered someone who did exactly that. Was talking to a man about a dog (honestly!), and someone I'd never met before felt the need to tell me how wrong my photography "panorama" technique was. When I first started out, I'd got cross and pointed out that I wasn't doing a panorama; but I can't be bothered getting drawn into disagreements any more. Then he spent five minutes explaining why his camera was so much better than mine. People like that eventually get bored if you don't "bite"...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I wish! I seem to be a magent for people who think it's OK to interrupt, and monopolise the conversation. Yesterday, I encountered someone who did exactly that. Was talking to a man about a dog (honestly!), and someone I'd never met before felt the need to tell me how wrong my photography "panorama" technique was. When I first started out, I'd got cross and pointed out that I wasn't doing a panorama; but I can't be bothered getting drawn into disagreements any more. Then he spent five minutes explaining why his camera was so much better than mine. People like that eventually get bored if you don't "bite"...
There are always people like that. Whatever you say do or have they have done better or have better and like to brag.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:30   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There are always people like that. Whatever you say do or have they have done better or have better and like to brag.
Quite right we used to call um the local bore

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..